Advice Needed Satellite Dish Cabling

chrissudon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 sat dishes from 2 different suppliers
My Location
Thailand
Hi from a Newbie.

I have satellite TV services from 2 different suppliers so I have 2 dishes, one connected to an STB (set top box) in the lounge and the other connected to an STB in the master bedroom.

I would like to have both suppliers STB's connected to the lounge TV only but there isn't enough space in the wall conduit for an additional coax cable to feed the second STB.

Is it possible to use a 3 way connector at the dish end and a 3 way connector at the STB end and run both services over the same coax between the dishes and the STB's.

I am told the LNB's are powered and transmitting only when the STB;s are powered up so if I only have 1 STB powered at a time will this work.

I hope this makes sense. I have attached a quick schematic of how I envisage the 2 services being connected. Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Chriss.satellite cabling.jpg

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Chriss, you can use a DiSEqC switch outside, this will combine the feeds into one cable and then use a 2 way splitter inside, it must be a satellite type splitter with DC pass on both legs.

You would then need to set one box to port 1 or A and the other to port 2 or B.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Hi Chriss, you can use a DiSEqC switch outside, this will combine the feeds into one cable and then use a 2 way splitter inside, it must be a satellite type splitter with DC pass on both legs.

You would then need to set one box to port 1 or A and the other to port 2 or B.
Wouldn't you need a manual A-B switch inside? I wouldn't want to feed both boxes into one cable at the same time.

chrissudon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thailand
Hi

Could you point me to a website to explain the equipment you suggest and how to connect it, I'm a complete novice to Sat TV installation.
As I said in the OP I don't mind only powering one STB at a time, I can set up a simple mains switching unit.
Am I right in saying there will be no signal being sent from the LNB if the associated STB is not powered up?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
shotgun cable? SCD (single cable distribution)?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Attachments

• A-Bswitch.jpg
    A-Bswitch.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 49

chrissudon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thailand
Sorry if I seem confused but can you tell me why my option wouldn't work? I accept your recommendations but would like to understand the requirements more in depth..

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Some receivers continue to power the LNB when in standby, which causes conflicts, so unless you switch receiver off at mains, you may have problems. Have a look at the Stacker-destacker idea though, that would mean you wouldn't have to bother about that and could even record from one whilst watching the other.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
What type of LNB do your dishes have on them?
If twin, two separate outputs, or quad, 4 separate outputs, , I would consider re-running the cable, so that both receivers can view both dishes independently, then you can view any channel you want, in either room, even when the other receiver is on.
A cheap option is a Diseqc switch, as Rolf mentioned, in his first post, where you can run multiple feeds, from various dishes, or LNB's, into one cable going into your house.

Attachments

• BOXED_DISEQC.jpg
    BOXED_DISEQC.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 51

chrissudon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thailand
Some receivers continue to power the LNB when in standby, which causes conflicts, so unless you switch receiver off at mains, you may have problems. Have a look at the Stacker-destacker idea though, that would mean you wouldn't have to bother about that and could even record from one whilst watching the other.

Yes I thought the LNB may be powered even in standby so I'd only have 1 STB powered at a time. I have a mains power AB switch that I can use for this.

chrissudon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thailand
I just had a quick Google on the Diseqc setup and I see how it works but my suppliers have their own propietry STB's, they are not a standard generic STB... I know that one supplier has their set up such that the STB and LNB serial numbers are linked, you cannot swap STB's to alternative dishes, I'm guessing the same goes for the other supplier, whose service is relatively new to the county. Programming the user can do is very limited.
I must add I live in South East Asia.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, appreciate your location. So really the alternatives are few, an external splitter/combiner won't work, as it will draw signal from both LNBs, a Stacker De-stacker would be ideal, or replacing the single cable with a small guage shotgun cable, which may or may not be available in your country. How long is the cable run?

chrissudon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thailand
The cable run is only about 10 metres so notmso far. If I can't get the cable here I can always have itnshipped in.
Will the stacker / destaker solution mean I can have both STB's powered at the same time or will I still have to have one powered down?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
A stacker/destacker lets you run both receivers independently. High quality cable and connections are essential though as the stacker/destacker pushes coax cable to its limits in terms of high frequencies.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
If you've also got a seperate terrestrial aerial feed running to the television, you could fit a sat/tv diplexer at each end on the cable and send both a satellite and uhf signal down the one cable provided it's double screened coax. Then use the satellite feed for the other dish.