Satellite meter recommendations

raulands

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish
My Location
Madrid
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a satellite meter. The purpose is to align my dish with the astra-2D from Spain to get the BBC channels etc.

Could somebody recommend a good enough satellite meter for this purpose? I know there are some really expensive ones out there, but I will be only using the meter from time to time to align my own dish with this satellite.

Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
What budget do you have in mind?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

raulands

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish
My Location
Madrid
To be honest I really do not want to spend much as I will not be using it that often,.. (not a profesional)
So my budget would be the cheapest posible meter which will allow me find astra 2d from Spain.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The satlook lite meter might be worth looking at.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
More important than the meter, what dish and LNB combination are you going to be using?

raulands

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish
My Location
Madrid
@satelliteman

Is this the one you recommend?
-http://www.*********.co.uk/products/Satlook-Lite-Emitor-Satellite-Meter.html

For that kind of price, wouldn't I be better of getting:
-http://www.amazon.com/First-Strike-Digital-Satellite-Meter/dp/B002SZWII2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1308419980&sr=8-8

To be honest I have no idea, just based on web reviews.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are looking at the First Strike I think one of the forum advertisers has been advertising that one recently.

raulands

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish
My Location
Madrid
@rolfw
Which LNB would you recommend? The dish I'm likely to use is a 1,35m dish.

Before investing in the 1,35m dish I was expecting to try to align, with the help of the meter, my current 80cm dish (to astra 2d) which I currently have align to hispasat. I also was going to try a 1m dish I have. I really have no hope in succeding with these size dishes but thought I'd try them. (These both have cheap LNBs, which I really don't know their specs).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry missed your reply yesterday.

You will be able to align your 80cm to Astra 28.2, but not 2D, it's way too small to see that bird, if it is a good quality 1.35m dish with perhaps an Inverto Black Ultra LNB and peaked to perfection, you should be able to get the Vertical transponders most of the time, but horizontal transponders will be a problem and certainly not be received for the whole day. The receiver you use will also need to have a sensitive tuner.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
raulands said:
For that kind of price, wouldn't I be better of getting
I'd stick with the Satlook lite.
raulands said:
The dish I'm likely to use is a 1,35m dish.
You will struggle with a 1.35m dish, and if it is from a Spanish supplier it will be a 1.2m dish measured vertically to make it sound bigger. To get the horizontal transponders you will need a 1.8m dish, and even then you won't have any rain margin.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...nverto-black-ultra-quad-lnb-installation.html

luco-fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receiver Golden Media Unibox 9080 and others - 120cm motorized dish ( Inverto Black Ultra lnb) and many multi-feed dishes at ground level - Favourite satmeters brands : First Strike Meters, Dagatron, Promax, Trimax.
My Location
South-East France
Hello from France,

The FS1 serie L from First Strike Meters is the better satmeter you can own for the money. I have one since 2 monthes and I can tell it is really fantactic.
The FS1 can detect and lock on very small DVB-S signals. So with the help of the FS1 in my area of the South-East France it is very easy to pick up hard satellites such as Badr 26E (Arabsat) and Nilesat 7W all day long.
I can track without a problem all the Clark Belt from 30W (Hispasat) to 53E (Express AM22) on my motorized system after a mast, motor and dish perfect adjustment with the FS1.
The FS1 has definitively replaced my Emitor Satlook Lite unreadable, imprecise and broken down after one week only !
Also the service from Cdtronix UK and feedbacks from Firststrikemeters USA are top level !

Best Regards.

Jean-Luc

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
luco-fs said:
Hello from France,

The FS1 serie L from First Strike Meters is the better satmeter you can own for the money. I have one since 2 monthes and I can tell it is really fantactic.
The FS1 can detect and lock on very small DVB-S signals. So with the help of the FS1 in my area of the South-East France it is very easy to pick up hard satellites such as Badr 26E (Arabsat) and Nilesat 7W all day long.
I can track without a problem all the Clark Belt from 30W (Hispasat) to 53E (Express AM22) on my motorized system after a mast, motor and dish perfect adjustment with the FS1.
The FS1 has definitively replaced my Emitor Satlook Lite unreadable, imprecise and broken down after one week only !
Also the service from Cdtronix UK and feedbacks from Firststrikemeters USA are top level !

Best Regards.

Jean-Luc

Thanks for the feedback on the FS1 Jean Luc, I do remeber you :-) its good to hear customers reviews of this meter.
I can also say it is a very good meter for the money and beats the likes others which cost more, like Horizons, Satlook etc.
Also we are doing regular updates for First Strike meters keeping the satelllite database that we created for Europe right up to date, free updates for registered users and we will continue to support this meter for our customers. We work very closely with First Strike USA and between us we can offer this meter at a great price a very good level of service to customers in Europe.

If you are on a budget then this meter does tick the boxes.

i hacked

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s/s2
My Location
Gh
please can First Strike FS1 meter give you a satellite name?

luco-fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receiver Golden Media Unibox 9080 and others - 120cm motorized dish ( Inverto Black Ultra lnb) and many multi-feed dishes at ground level - Favourite satmeters brands : First Strike Meters, Dagatron, Promax, Trimax.
My Location
South-East France
i hacked said:
please can First Strike FS1 meter give you a satellite name?

Good morning,

no ! there is no NIT search only ultra fast and precise dish pointing on transponders you can create on the fly or take on the internal banks (FS1 or user).

Best regards.

i hacked

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s/s2
My Location
Gh
please can FS1 satellite meter let's me know exactly satellite i am tracking
let's take it like want 119W can i know that

please help i want to order one.

thank you

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The poster above has answered your question. You will have to test which satellite you are one my looking at channels you can see and comparing it with Lyngsat.com to confirm.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
i hacked said:
please can FS1 satellite meter let's me know exactly satellite i am tracking
let's take it like want 119W can i know that

please help i want to order one.

thank you

Any meter which says you are looking at 119W in Ghana has something seriously wrong with it :)

i hacked

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s/s2
My Location
Gh
rolfw said:
The poster above has answered your question. You will have to test which satellite you are one my looking at channels you can see and comparing it with Lyngsat.com to confirm.

thank you. am new to sat meters some one introduce WS6906 Satellite Meter cos i want cheap ones
but it looks like i may run down with battery but can view channels on sat which is very good.

fs1 can be use even if battery is down please advice me one what to buy tomorrow thank you

i hacked

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s/s2
My Location
Gh
Analoguesat said:
Any meter which says you are looking at 119W in Ghana has something seriously wrong with it :)

119w is example so that you can help me. in Ghana we gos up to 68.5E and 68.5 west but noting at the 68west

thank you