Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Whilst not an installer, Im quite willing to give advice and maybe a bit of practical help to anyone in the Scottish Borders area who is stuck.

peter_rjs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1x sky+, 2x sky digibox
My Location
Selkirk, Scottish Borders
Hi Analoguesat,

I hope you can recommend an installer to help with this;

My location is about 3 miles from Selkirk in the Scottish Borders.

I currently have a standard Sky dish on a 2" diameter alloy pole, extending about 1m above the top of the roof line of a 2-story house. The dish is probably at a height of around 28-30m above the ground. This is the only location possible to clear some tall trees nearby. (The 14 gauge 2" gauge pole is needed as we get exceptional strong winds in the winter which snap 1.5" steel poles ....)

The dish has a quad LNB, feeding 1x Sky+ and 2x Sky Digiboxes. Two of the feeds have great signal, 2 are quite poor.

I would like to get an installer to replace the quad LNB with an Octo LNB, (and a new dish as well if necessary), but then take the time to fine tune the installation to the best possible signal strength/quality etc. Maybe even add an extra wall bracket to improve the pole strength etc. (i.e. cast an expert eye over the setup and improve where possible).

(The octo LNB is to add Freesat to the existing setup).

Can you recommend a quality installer who would come to this area and be able to work at this height etc?

Thanks for the help.

Peter

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hi Peter, sorry no contacts in the trade. I do all my bodging myself! Are you sure the dish is 30m in the air - thats 90 feet near enough!

The most important thing is that the pole isnt flexing up at the top - it should be either braced as high as possible or have guy lines fitted if this cant happen. A photograph might help - post it in the general install section and everyone can chip in. and give advice.

digitalsol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+ x 3.. hp server. tosh laptop. desktop .acer laptop
My Location
scotland
hey up iam am down that way at least once a week and i can help been in the trade 16years now fully accredited sky

Dawgbreath

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
home pc
darkbox
My Location
carlsile
hi your not near carlisle by any chance are you ?
im trying to install a motorised system!!
think im swimming against the tide and getting know where fast :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
60 miles up the A7 :D

Im a whizz with bodged fixed dishes, dont know much about motorized though.... :)

Walfy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S. 95cm dish, DG 120+ DiSEqC H-H
My Location
Eastern Borders
Hi Analoguesat, hopefully you may be able to help me here on the east coast of the borders, though with you saying you're 60 miles up the A7, you could be a fair bit from me on the border.

Anyhoo, at the mo I've only got the bog standard Sky+ setup, but I'm having problems getting my other old Sky box to work on freeview.

All new sat cable, all connections fine and all I get when plugged in is "no signal being recieved". Even when I disconnect the working box cables and use them it's the same message. Installed box works fine on the other cable. I'm stuck. :confused

Also, any idea what I can do with the old 19.2E, 80cm dish that's sitting on the gable end of the house?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not an old Amstrad or Grundig box by any chance is it? Both are notorious for capacitor failure in the power supply leading to "no signal" error messages.