Skew problem with Fortecstar LNB FSKUVN and Icecrypt 0.1db single LNB

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looked at another one of these today and found that there actually is a very feint scale on the top of the LNB, but even using that, the centre mark does not give zero skew.

Zero skew is around 4 O'clock.

michaelcs

michaelcs
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD, Dreambox 500 clone (absolute novice), Fortec 90cm dish, Icecrypt twin LNB, Moteck SG2100 motor, IBM laptop, Belkin router modem
My Location
Central London
rolfw said:
Looked at another one of these today and found that there actually is a very feint scale on the top of the LNB, but even using that, the centre mark does not give zero skew.

Zero skew is around 4 O'clock.
Rolf, I can only endorse what everyone else says. I bought this kit five weeks ago to be ready with HD for the Olympics. Was in despair as a newbie after putting it up on a terraced central London rooftop, and moving to new locations (!) every weekend trying to get better signals, and couldn't face my wife who had been sceptical throughout. (The first receiver had to go back to Maplins as the remote suddenly ceased to drive the receiver though it still worked the TV; finally got a replacement after over two weeks because Maplin lost the paperwork....). Still no signal from BBC HD. This evening back up the ladder and turned the sodding LNB as you advised - now I'm getting rock solid channels across the spectrum. (Plea for someone to write this into the set-up guides - the Fortec receiver guide is really inadequate on Disecq set-up unless you know what you're trying to cahieve, and even statelliteman's excellent set-up guide on this site doesn't explain about LNB polarity or skew. Thanks to you all anyway, including satelliteman). Without you all I would have given up long ago.

markjones

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorized fortec star
My Location
telford uk
skew angle was all my problems as well fortec star from maplin cheers folks

bartman007uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
surrey
Just spent all day pulling out my hair trying to get one of those to work. Then I found the small markings and realized I had to turn it. Oh well another day off gone to waste. Works now. Yeah

sadza

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM dish, 1.8
Manhattan receiver.
My Location
Groomsport.
I am now a banned member

MalM

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MVision satellite receiver
My Location
scotland
I have a Fortec Star Quad LNB which i hope to install on Tuesday....Will it require the same angle as the single LNB variant ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure, but check the skew markings on the top of the LNB first, bear in mind that they probably don't make their LNBs, merely brand them, so the quad may be from a different manufacturer. :)

durhamwasp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Motorised Technomate dish with Technomate 5400 CI+ Receiver
My Location
North East England, UK
As ive wrote on another thread, i bought a Fortec Star motorised system from maplin (£99) with this exact LNB and i am having terrible problems to pick up more than about 7 channels (when i hoped to pick up several thousand!)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Try changing the skew as mentioned above.

durhamwasp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Motorised Technomate dish with Technomate 5400 CI+ Receiver
My Location
North East England, UK
Just moved the skew around anti clockwise, immediate difference - picked up a few hundred channels on 28.2E (basically all the Sky channels)

Same problem exists with finding nothing at any other satellite, such as 19.2E

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If the Skew is roughly right for one satellite it will be roughly right for all the others with an H-H/polar motorised sytem.

Strat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec HD Passion+
65cm Dish and 'correctly skewed' LNB supplied in Maplin kit.
My Location
Yorkshire
Just out of interest, as a newby I bought the Maplin HD kit referred to in this thread. As there were no dish instructions included I contacted Maplin who pointed me at their site for a download.
The diagrams bore little resemblance to the dish I had in the box so I contacted Maplin again and was advised to contact Fortec direct.
As they are located at Sheffield United's football ground and I'm not a football fan I emailed them instead...3 times with no response.
I pass their place every working day and felt like paying them a personal visit however during a browse of their website I noticed that none of their dishes on offer looked like mine leading me to the fairly obvious conclusion that the dish in my kit was not a Fortec dish.

However, since it works I have decided not to pursue the matter any further.

MalM

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MVision satellite receiver
My Location
scotland
The Quad LNB from Fortec Star does not require you to move it at any angle other than straight at the dish so if thats a help to anyone you can rest assured it was easy to install and get working.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
It may not be relevant but the single LNBF manufactured by Televés required skew at the same angle as the Fortecstar LNB FCKUVN.
They were orange in colour- don't know if still made.

keithj

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
At the present only SKY
My Location
west midlands
rolfw, pure coincidence, a friend bought one of these few days ago, problems with signal looked on this site and amazed at the fact that the LNB was mounted anti clockwise, thank you very much. Also can you recommend a good (basic) sat finder the one which tells you what sat you are recieving as i do a lot of touring (motorhome) it can be a real pain sometimes trying to get SKY, i dont need too much technical info on it.
thanks again keith
rolfw said:
This is the LNB FCKUVN, which Maplins sell with their Passion HD package.

The customer had tried to set up the dish himself,but had problems, so I dropped in to do the final alignment.

With the LNB in the usual Skew position for Astra 28.2E, I was getting abysmal quality readings and a very flat spectrum, so I moved it further around until the spectrum improved, but found I was on the opposite polarity.

Well the picture attached is where I had to put it for perfect skew, have included a red line to show where I would have expected it to be. :)

sooty736

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FORTEC STAR PASSION+
Satellite Kit (Maplins).
My Location
Derbyshire
This thread looks just like the info I was after, To get some better signal & quality levels on my Maplin system.

So thats my quiet weekend gone. O-zzz

akg101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Innovation
My Location
North East
Thanks so much for this. I was beginning to dispair and now its all sorted. I have the Maplin Innovation setup but I have not put the motor on yet. If its working on Astra with the tweaked LNB, what is the best way to setup the motor? Should I set it up on Astra with the LNB as it is and then as it scans around the LNB skew will move correctly?
Any help welcome.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, the lnb skew for a motoised dish should be set to zero. On a fixed dish, you will have it twisted round a bit to suit 28E.

Adjust the lnb skew for max quality signal on your nearest to due south satellite.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
....or change the LNb and have it done with :D

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I have come accross these LNBs a couple of times now, and they're not really a problem. There are the usual graduated scale markings on it showing where zero skew is.