Skins in Triple Dragon

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
How can I install different skins into my TD receiver? I use the HiSat image and have the usb facility. When I look at the /var folder in TDC I see that there is a folder called 'skins' but the only item in that is 'default'.
I do now also have a hard drive fitted.
No doubt Llew will point me in the correct direction.
Thanks in anticipation.
canine

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi canine

If you have some you want to install, it's quite easy to do, just ftp them over.

In the folder you have them on your PC, select the skin you want and transfer over to var/skins.

Here's a few you can use, but it's advisable to have only one or two loaded at one time, as the var partition gets filled up with more than that.

The dark grey skin appears to be the same as the default skin, so you could delete the default one.

I think I have one or two more somewhere, I'll try and locate them.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Forgot to tell you how to change a skin (if you're not sure) -

Go to Main Menu, System Setup, OSD Settings, Global Settings, GUI Skin and click left or right.

canine

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon and PC
My Location
East Hampshire - UK
Thanks Llew, I knew I could count on you to put me on the right track.
canine

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Found a couple more canine. Ain't life grand :)

hija31

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon-HDD&USB stick
My Location
Holland
@canine

I do now also have a hard drive fitted.

You can also put the skins in HDD.
Go to : /mnt/hd/data/stb/share/dvb2001

There is a link => skins
Delete that link.
Now create a new dir ( folder ) named : skins
Go to the new made folder and there FTP all skin folders.

Now you have your skins in HDD and some more free space in /var

Regards hija31

lancia832

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triple dragon
My Location
usa
hello! everybody ,i just found this great site ,i have a request for whomever can help me with my problem .
The question i have is ,i got some skins from Hija ,thank you !! very much for the purple skin ,the problem i have when i put them in /mnt/hd/data/stb/share/dvb2001 after a hard reboot ,they dont stay there ,lets say i have to rebbot the receiver by unpluging the cord ,is there any way to ftp the skins on the hard drive and be able to recover them after a hard reboot ?
After i do the reboot i have the old skins that came with my original image ,i have the default one ,and another one called dark dragon by crash .
I am running the tdturkey extreme 3.2 image .
Does it have something to do with the image that i am using ?
Thank you !! and hope i can get some help with that .

hija31

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon-HDD&USB stick
My Location
Holland
Hi m8

after a hard reboot ,they don't stay there

I don't think that it has to do with the image . I didn't have that when I've used Extreme .
The only thing that can think of is :
Did you remove the link ( hand ) => skins from :/mnt/hd/data/stb/share/dvb2001

P.S. Why you have to do so often a hard reboot = by unplugging the cord .
If your TD freezes try a cold reboot ( three finger salute ) = push
" < " + " menu " + " ^ " buttons at the same time on the front panel.
The hard reboot is the last resourse .

lancia832

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triple dragon
My Location
usa
hello ! Hija ,and thank you for your reply ,after i do the 3 finger reboot i have the same result after ftp ing your purple skin in skins ,it doesnt stay put ,and no i didnt delete the link with the hand ,because i tought that would mess up the system somehow .
After removing the link with the hand ,what next ? ,i would need the step by step procedure how to create a new link in skins ,can you help me with that ,that would be greately appreciated since i find your purple skin the best on my eyes on all the skins i have tried ,but i need to make it to stay through a reboot ,since with my 300 gb hard drive ,i dont know, it just keep spinning and writing something on it ,especialy on CNN and HNN channels from dish ,i presume its writing the epg ,but that is when everything seems to slow down to a crawl ,i have to wait like 5-10 seconds betwen each chanel change ,and after pressing the chanel change button repeatedly for a couple of times ,because of the slowdown ,i can hear the hard drive spinning and writing data on it ,thats why i have to reboot the box so many times .
If you know a way to fix to that slowdown it would be double greately appreciated for whomever holds an answer to my problems .
Thank you !! in advance .

hija31

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon-HDD&amp;USB stick
My Location
Holland
Hi m8.

You have to remove the skins link ( hand ) in /mnt/hd/data/stb/share/dvb2001
because that link tells the TD where the skins are ( var/skins, ..... ) when you reboot and this is why the other skins are gone when reboot .
You don't need to make another link, just follow these steps.

So:
1. Delete the link skin ( hand ) in :/mnt/hd/data/stb/share/dvb2001
2. Create new folder ( dir ) skins in :/mnt/hd/data/stb/share/dvb2001
3. Go to the newly made folder ( dir ) skins in :/mnt/hd/data/stb/share/dvb2001 and there load all your folders ( dir ) of skins that you have like : purple skin , dark_dragon , deep_green and so on.
4.Remove the skins in folder : var/skins doe to the var space because if your var is around 80% full than your TD can hang-up often or not work properly.

My var size is 36% with all plug-in's and skins installed

About the HDD constant spinning I think is because of one or more plug-in's that are installed in your HDD . So when that plug-in is needed than the HDD awake ( spins ) and if the plug-in is constant needed like libepg.so , libepg2.so or other than HDD spins constant .

Regards hija31

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I keep all my plugins on a USB stick, saves /var space and HDD spinup.

Llew

hija31

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Holland
Same here with emus , httpd , keys and plugins on USB and all working fine .

lancia832

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triple dragon
My Location
usa
Hello! again ,thank you for your quick reply ,and for the help Hija,and Llew ,i will try installing that on my days off ,tomorow i go to work ,i work over the weekend ,and will post to let you know how it worked out .

Regarding the Hdd spinoff ,you where right ,i checked my var size its ,79% full ,thats what it says ,how do i slim it down ,what files would be the ones that take the most space in var? but what files would i delete without affecting the operation of the triple dragon .

The thing with accesing the plugins from the usb ,would be awsome if you guys could give me some pointers where to read about how to do that ,on the TD ,and i think you need a dragon tail in order to plug the USB stick ,first i guess i have to buy that right ?
What plugins would be needed to make it work from the USb stick ?
Thank you !! again guys ,you have all my respect for your knowledge of the Dragon.

lancia832

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triple dragon
My Location
usa
Hello ! again ,Thank you for your quick reply ,and help Hija ,and Llew ,i will try that over my days off ,right now i have to go to sleep ,i wake up for work tomorow ,its just like you said my var size is about 79% full ,so probably thats why my TD hangs up often ,how would i go to slim down my var ? what folders would i delete without affecting the operation of the TD ?

If you could point me to some reading to do how to go installing everithing ,the plugins and such on the USB stick that would be of great help .
Also if anybody would create a plugin to stop and start the libepg.so , libepg2.so ,when you dont need them for the purpose of stopping the hard drive spinoff after you got a couple of days of epg data ,that would be great . Till then i think i will experiment with deleting those plugins to see if it stops the hard drive from spining so much .

Also in order to use a USB stick i think first i need to buy a dragon tail right ?,or what is the setup that you are using with your USB stick .an example of what you keep on the stick would be greately appreciated .

Thank you !! one more time and i really appreciate your knowledge of the TD,to make it better .

lancia832

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triple dragon
My Location
usa
Hello ! again ,Thank you for your quick reply ,and help Hija ,and Llew ,i will try that over my days off ,right now i have to go to sleep ,i wake up for work tomorow ,its just like you said my var size is about 79% full ,so probably thats why my TD hangs up often ,how would i go to slim down my var ? what folders would i delete without affecting the operation of the TD ?

If you could point me to some reading to do how to go installing everithing ,the plugins and such on the USB stick that would be of great help .
Also if anybody would create a plugin to stop and start the libepg.so , libepg2.so ,when you dont need them for the purpose of stopping the hard drive spinoff after you got a couple of days of epg data ,that would be great . Till then i think i will experiment with deleting those plugins to see if it stops the hard drive from spining so much .

Also in order to use a USB stick i think first i need to buy a dragon tail right ?,or what is the setup that you are using with your USB stick .an example of what you keep on the stick would be greately appreciated .

Thank you !! one more time and i really appreciate your knowledge of the TD,to make it better .

hija31

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Holland
i think first i need to buy a dragon tail right ?,

Yes , or you can try this with USB hub from a old PC.
If you decide to do this PLEASE BE CAREFULL and isolate the ( under ) side of the USB print board with isolating tape at the points where the print board contacts the screw pins . Otherwise you get a short circuit and kill your box )(-red.
Note that only one USB port on the hub will work.

dragonusbhp5.jpg

dragonusb2jl7.jpg

or what is the setup that you are using with your USB stick .an example of what you keep on the stick would be greately appreciated .

I have in my USB : emus , httpd , keys and plugins.

For emus and plugins you don't need to do something special.
1. FTP with TDC the maps ( dir ) emus and plugins from /var to USB
2. Empty the map /var/emus and /var/plugins ( leave them as empty dir in /var )

As for keys and httpd you have to make a link ( hand ) in /var.
1. FTP with TDC the maps ( dir ) keys and httpd from /var to USB
2. Delete the map ( dir ) keys and httpd from var
3. Open telnet in TDC ( click Telnet on the left-side in TDC )
4. Go to the Telnet conversation table (click in the black window on the right side )
5. Type this : cd /var
6. Push enter
7. Type this : ln -s /dev/shm/usb/sd*/keys /var
8. Push enter
9. Type this : ln -s /dev/shm/usb/sd*/httpd /var
10. Push enter

Now you have made links for keys and httpd in your /var .:)

NOTE !!!!
1. Before you start all this make a copy of your /var to one map in your PC . If you don't get it wright than you can FTP : keys , emus , plugins and httpd back again .
PLEASE don't forget the attribute numbers.
Or you can make a photo of your maps in /var with QuickShot so you always can see what you have in each map in /var and there attributes.
I've done that and is very handy ;)

2.When you type this in Telnet
cd /var
ln -s /dev/shm/usb/sd*/keys /var
ln -s /dev/shm/usb/sd*/httpd /var

Don't forget "space". So you type like this :
cd"push space"/var
ln"push space"-s"push space"/dev/shm/usb/sd*/keys"push space"/var
ln"push space"-s"push space"/dev/shm/usb/sd*/httpd"push space"/var

3. The "ln" above = LN and not In

It looks difficult but it's not.

lancia832

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triple dragon
My Location
usa
hello! HIja ,Thank you !! for all the knowledge ,i did just as you said ,deleted the hand ,and created a new directory ,all your skins show perfect now and stay in skins directory even after reboot.
Thank you !! also for the detailed how to for USB plugins ,ill try that also when ill have some time ,its good to have that info,to make the dragon even better .

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
silvercrest sl65-panasonic 26&quot; lcd
My Location
cumbria
Hi Hija
Many thanks for the info,much appreciated, is the hub essential, i have seen it done with just the socket and the tail but know nothing about electronics and need a simple plug in installation.
Kindest regards

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
silvercrest sl65-panasonic 26&quot; lcd
My Location
cumbria
Hi Lew
Thanks for your reply.
After my post yesterday i went on Flea bay and managed to find an Asus board the same as Hija's with a cable for two ponds nineteen pence so well chuffed.
Can i just say thanks for taking the time to respond. I got into satellite about 12 month ago and have been using another forum in the main, but since i got my Dragon i have been finding it hard to get any advise(as i am not very bright in the electronics department) and really do need someone to guide me through what appears to be second nature to most Dragon users.Have been to the suppliers site(you know who they are) but there is no response to any questions i have asked so was begining to think i was left holding a puppy.
So thanks again.
Kindest regards
SatDum