Sky Showing Viewing Card Number on Screen

leehill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Italia
My Location
wigan
Sky are now displaying the viewing card number on the screen for Sky Italia systems, they are then sending people into pubs to note down the number and then the cards are being switched off.

Does anyone have a way of blocking this signal from sky to prevent the viewing number from being shown.

Please help.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres no way to block it, the instruction to show the vc number will be encoded into the satellite signal somewhere and if you block that the pictures disappear.

So its just a case of hoping the investigators dont come into your pub :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I doubt it .............. Sky in all its guises is trying hard to stop abuses of Terms & Conditions, not just with Pubs/Clubs showing stuff they either haven't paid the going rate for and/or are doing contrary to Copyright etc., but also with individual Card Sharing rings.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just thought of something - if you dont use the SI receiver then it cant show a number! Have a look see how well SI works in none Sky boxes - Im thinking of the Linux range.

Takes a bit of setting up but might solve this particular problem.

leehill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Italia
My Location
wigan
oh dear thought as much. when youve got a few hundred cards out there its a major problem.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not a few hundred - more like a few thousand! - and thats a major problem as Sky UK is losing a lot of income. None of those SI subs are commercial subs either - they are domestic subs being misused.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
It doesn't come up on Non-Sky boxes so it's definately for pubs. Stick a bit of paper to the screen.

leehill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Italia
My Location
wigan
Analoguesat said:
Its not a few hundred - more like a few thousand! - and thats a major problem as Sky UK is losing a lot of income. None of those SI subs are commercial subs either - they are domestic subs being misused.

Surley that will be decided in the pending court case, my understanding is that Sky/FAPL lost the initial case and the judgement has been sent to europe for rubber stamping. JUst becuase Sky say that its a misuse of thier system doesnt automatically mean it is. Thats for the courts to decide and its looking like Sky will lose the case according to recent statement. We will see very soon im sure.

Sky are not losing money they are earning billions a year by monopolising the football in the UK, and also trying to dictate who and where it can be sold throughout Europe and last time I checked Sky dont make the law in this country. So excuse me if I dont feel sorry for them. Thanks for the reply though.

leehill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Italia
My Location
wigan
fergyc said:
It doesn't come up on Non-Sky boxes so it's definately for pubs. Stick a bit of paper to the screen.

So what boxes will a SI card work in, and what setup is needed. thanks your help is really appreciated.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Any receiver that supports OSCAM and CCcam I believe.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
leehill said:
Surley that will be decided in the pending court case, my understanding is that Sky/FAPL lost the initial case and the judgement has been sent to europe for rubber stamping. JUst becuase Sky say that its a misuse of thier system doesnt automatically mean it is. Thats for the courts to decide and its looking like Sky will lose the case according to recent statement. We will see very soon im sure.

Sky are not losing money they are earning billions a year by monopolising the football in the UK, and also trying to dictate who and where it can be sold throughout Europe and last time I checked Sky dont make the law in this country. So excuse me if I dont feel sorry for them. Thanks for the reply though.

I think you'll find that FAPL won the original case http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...test-case-use-foreign-subs-uk.html#post695642 , but regardless of that, if FAPL eventually lose this case, there may be some far reaching repercussions and I'm sure they won't all be good news for pubs trying to do it on the cheap, nor for the money coming into the English Premier League.

Just remember that before Sky invested fortunes in top football (and made a loss for many years), when nobody else was prepared to, there was pretty much nothing in the way of televised football, let alone being shown in pubs. I'm assuming from one of your posts above that you are a seller of packages into pubs, so your logic may be somewhat coloured by that and the potential loss of income given a positive verdict for FAPL.

PS. I predicted that they would find a way to show the card number on the screen a long time ago, you can bet that they have other measures up their sleeves as well.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
About time Sky did summat about it. These pubs are not playing on a level playing field with the ones that pay the UK subs and do everything properly with the horrendous monthly payments.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Even if you use a none SI box the lack of vc number wont help - the FAPL observers just have to wait until the adverts come on and if they have any sense they will be carrying ir blasters set with the codes from the main linux boxes to display the main system info :D

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northumberland
Sorry but Sky should take the piss. SOme pubs can't live with it but not without it. it's a disgrace!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry fergyc, not really sure what you're saying there.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northumberland
They can't afford to pay the subscription but can't afford to lose the extra revenue it brings in. This is the case with my local pub.

leehill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Italia
My Location
wigan
rolfw said:
I think you'll find that FAPL won the original case http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...test-case-use-foreign-subs-uk.html#post695642 , but regardless of that, if FAPL eventually lose this case, there may be some far reaching repercussions and I'm sure they won't all be good news for pubs trying to do it on the cheap, nor for the money coming into the English Premier League.

Just remember that before Sky invested fortunes in top football (and made a loss for many years), when nobody else was prepared to, there was pretty much nothing in the way of televised football, let alone being shown in pubs. I'm assuming from one of your posts above that you are a seller of packages into pubs, so your logic may be somewhat coloured by that and the potential loss of income given a positive verdict for FAPL.

PS. I predicted that they would find a way to show the card number on the screen a long time ago, you can bet that they have other measures up their sleeves as well.

I think you will find they lost the appeal and its not that caser that I am referring to it is the case against the suppliers of the cards, I should know becuase I am one of the suppliers that is facing them in court.

Anyway its all sorted now we have found a way round it. Thanks for all the help.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northumberland
What did you do?

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
put a sticker on the screen ...LOL

arnie303

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 1500 hotbird
sky box astra
toshiba laptop
wireless connection
My Location
glasgow