Sky sports Italia

tedgman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
durham england
My sister in law who owns a bar and has had football on through sky sports
However this is costing a fortune so she has knocked it on head and has been told that she could get same stuff on Sky Sports Italia for the gear is £1200 or 1800 installed

My question to you guys is this info correct and if so how difficult is the install cos 600 quid seems a lot:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You might be advised to skim through some of the other Threads in this section, relating to legal issues and ongoing Court proceedings.

The bottom line is that nobody seems to care much about "foreign" subs for personal use, but public use is a differnt, difficult and entirely debatable matter!

As regards £600 for Installation, that rather depends upon exactly what is required in the Bar, access for fitting the dish etc. etc.

Does seem a lot, though.

A couple of hundred, or even three, might not have raised an eyebrow.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
600 for installation must be for installing some kind of distrubution system to other screens in the bar ?

andyman1962

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd full surround sound on a lg 42"
My Location
birmingham
I met two investigators from NDS. NDS is the encryption people from Sky and i understand are the people who investigate ASA's who are people who sign up sky subscribers. I understand sky italia is not illegal but it is against the rules for an ASA to be involved in the sale and installation of equipment to be used for this purpose. The NDS people returned a few days later after catching a number of ASA's dealing in Sky italia. They had been travelling around Birmingham and the distributors trying to catch engineers.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
andyman1962 said:
I met two investigators from NDS. NDS is the encryption people from Sky and i understand are the people who investigate ASA's who are people who sign up sky subscribers. I understand sky italia is not illegal but it is against the rules for an ASA to be involved in the sale and installation of equipment to be used for this purpose. The NDS people returned a few days later after catching a number of ASA's dealing in Sky italia. They had been travelling around Birmingham and the distributors trying to catch engineers.

Tedgman,

£600 is alot, however the subscription and box would have cost the installer around £1000 to £1100, cheapest is around £850.

The companies ( and installers, although not all) who deal in this football are in it to make a good profit. There are alot more issues with foreign subscriptions than with standard Sky. Agree on a a fixed amount ie £50 per hour for the install, there is no way they will take 12 hours.

The job is no bigger than a standard Sky install, in fact replacing the existing Sky receiver or looping in is a very easy job. . . . . . . .. . . . . . .warning...as per andyman.......

.........the card is owned by Sky Italia ( still Sky), and for use in Italy, it is in the contract. I know for a fact that NDS and MPS will be using very easy tactics to catch out publicans next season. If you buy a Sky Italia card for commercial use be aware of this.

One visit and the card can be turned off in minutes, aslong as they have the card number, so the question is, how to stop them getting it...........easy in itself, make sure the box is out of sight and that a remote control cannot reach it.

The card was designed cor use in Italy alone, Sky owns the card when subscription is live, you dont.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
andyman1962 said:

Yes, this can be tricky and is part of the ridiculous anomalies in this area.

In general, it is not per se illegal in the UK to watch, subscribe to or even as an installer to instal a Slly Italia system for somebody else. What is illegal is to knowingly assist/facilitate the commission of an offence i.e. assisting with the avoidance of payment for receiving a UK transmission service for which there is a charge. If as an installer, all one does is to assist with installing a Slly Italia system e.g. align a dish to Hotbird, then there is nothing illegal about that. I believe that you can even go as far as assisting with procuring Slly Italia equipment/subscription but this is slightly risky because you will have to be able to demonstrate/establish that it was not intended to avoid a UK transmission for which there is a charge. An example would be if you have been asked to procure and instal a Slly Italian system for watching say Italian or Spanish League football; if you can prove this then no offence is committed. They can only sustain a charge if they prove that the installer knew that the purpose of the installation was to receive English Premier League football. An installer who wants to cover his back can for example put it in writing or get written assurance that the installation is for the purpose of receiving non-UK transmission.

The only relevance of Slly Italia claiming continued ownership of the card or saying that their card is restricted to use in Italy is simply that they can switch off the card; there is no basis for prosecuting a person for using a card outside the contractual area ---- that is a matter purely of contract law i.e. of civil (not criminal) law.