SlingCatcher

Sandbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 60cm offset dish / single Invacom 0.3 LNBF / DM600 PVR
My Location
Bahrain (Middle East)
I cannot WAIT to get my hands on a SlingCatcher. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to watch British TV here in Bahrain. There are a few companies out there that offer Sling hosting and they are doing it within the law. You pay for the bandwidth, you pay for the satellite subscription, you pay for the Slingbox, and you even pay for a TV licence! The satellite companies do not specify where you can or cant watch the content you have paid for, be it in your living room, or next door.
It is very expensive but some people are willing to go to extrodinary lengths to be able to watch ITV1/BBC1 etc.

I am considering hosting a slingbox with family back in the UK and Id ofcourse pay for a seperate ADSL line. Fastest connection I have found in the UK is Be* their site is be there dot co dot uk. They offer 24Mbps download, and 1.5Mbps upload but you can opt for a 2.5Mbps upload if you want for FREE but - you slower download speed to compensate.

I've trialed one of the sling hosting companies - had my laptop hooked up to my Panasonic 42" plasma via VGA cable and the picture was definately watchable! and I've got a 1Mbps connection. I would ofcourse upgrade this when i get a permanent service.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The speed that your relatives get in the UK will be purely on a geographical basis, forget what is advertised, it is what can be received in any particular area, how far away from the exchange they are and the state of the cable network.

Sandbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain (Middle East)
Not too versed on ADSL but they live in East Finchley and I think Be* have their DSLAM? located somewhere within finchley. I did check using the location and landline number of the house and Be* told me we could have their service. IF I am able to push 2.5Mbps that is faster that I can download over here in Bahrain. :confused The fastest ADSL connection we have in this country is 2Mbps.

The arab nations have just signed a new charter regarding Arab broadcasting standards and it's not good. It contains lines such as 'You are not to offend leaders or national and religious symbols in the arab world, you shall not damage social harmony, national unity, public order or traditional values. They threaten to revoke licences for those who break the rules.

The quicker I can get hold of TV from the west the better! :p

Sandbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain (Middle East)
Woohoo! This is exciting news!

The SlingCatcher has gone on pre-sale in the USA.

Can't wait to get my hands on this product! :eek:

_http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher-purchase

No info on the SlingMedia's UK website though...