Spiney, another clock question

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
"Dear Points of View, Why oh why oh why does the BBC1 not have a clock anymore. It is frightfully bad news!":D

Hmm, I wonder why no clock...there must be an eccentric web site with pictures of all the clocks the bBC has used in between programmes and just before the 1 o clock news and the 9 o clcok news.

I remember the old ones that really looked like clocks, a reddy orangy one, and a blue one that used to be on BBC2 before Playschool at 11am.:D

Such a wasted life.O-no :) :D

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yes....
Sad isn't it.

L.:D

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Saturlight said:
just before the 1 o'clock news and the 9 o'clock news.

Remember them, why bother, when the 1 o'clock and 9 o'clock news were on at that time. - :-rofl2

If you didn't know what time it was you'd miss them anyway!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I think the beeb should change all news bulletin times to 7 mins past the hour ..... it would drive everybody nuts!

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Nice clocks, Lance. :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Right, it's late but I am not tired. However, I'm gonna try to guess the years Lance's Beeb clocks originate from. And from the top row, from left to right:

Lance, that's about 2000; the next is err, about 1964. The third one is about 1994. And the BBC2 one is around 1978.

Next row, err that one is about 1993.

Next row, em...19568 and the last 1986.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I have a theory that now that there is so much digital and satellite delay on everything that they decided not have a clock any more.

Having started the subject about timing can I say that one thing that drives me distraction are programmes that don't start and/or finish within the published times. It's impossible to watch a programme on BBC2 to the end without missing the start of the next programme on BBC1.

Why?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
PaulR said:
I have a theory that now that there is so much digital and satellite delay on everything that they decided not have a clock any more.

At the third stroke, you could be "precisely" correct.:D

And Gameboy has valid point, WHY do people look at their watches at, say, 9pm, then search for a credible clock/timepiece that says 9pm, to confirm that's it's 9pm? :D

Joking aside, I think you a very right there, Paul.:)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Most of the above pictured clocks are a mechanical/electronic amalgam, in that there was a mechanical clock face, and camera pointed at it, then that picture triggered a video graphics generator for the final effect.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
PaulR said:
one thing that drives me distraction are programmes that don't start and/or finish within the published times.

If you ever watch BBC programmes online (they're recorded automatically) you sometimes have to watch the end of the last programme before the one you want to see starts.

So much for technology...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If anyone has seen the 'clock' that appears at the end of the promotion for BBC News 24 (where the camera view goes towards, and then over two or three news presenters) you will see it actually has no logic to the second, minute, or hour sweeps between the hands.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Has anyone seen the clock in the British Library? Weird.