Streaming to the Internet using DVB-S PC Card

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I am interested in watching an FTA channel outside home using a DVB-S PCI card and was wondering if anybody has tried this and how to go about it.
ProgDVB has Services > Stream Router, but when I click on it, there is nothing there so I probably need to install an additional plugin.
I have seen many posts about streaming using Dreambox which has the advantage that one doesn't need to use a PC, but I think that it is more logical to use a PCI card since it will interface directly with the PC.

LukeUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2 - HD PVR | 65cm Fortec w/Inverto LNB @ 1W - KWorld PCI DVB-S | Core 2 Quad Q6600, nVidia 8600GT, 600GB RAID 0, 22" LCD and 24" CRT TV, DVBDream
My Location
Berkshire, UK
I use DVBDream to stream to VLC which then can re-stream onto the web or your LAN.

Open up DVBDream and click Options > Preferences. Hit LAN Streaming and type 127.0.0.1 in the IP Client field and 1234 in the Port field.

Tick the active checkbox and then just click okay. Tune to the channel you want to stream.

Now you're gonna need to download the VideoLan (VLC). Just search VLC in Google and it'll come up with what you need.

Open up VLC and click File > Open Network Stream. Click the UDP/RTP radio button. Make sure the port is set to 1234.

Under Advanced Options select the checkbox Stream & Save, then hit settings. A new window should appear. Under the outputs section select HTTP. Leave the Address field blank and set the Port to 8080.

Now move down to the Encapsulation method. Select ASF. Under Transcoding select the Video and Audio checkboxes.

For video click the dropdown that says mpv4 and select WMV2. Type in a bitrate of around 340Kbps (This will depend on your connection speed. Run a speedtest to find out your upload speed. The combined bitrate of both audio and video must be under your maximum upload speed, ideally 1/2).

For audio click the dropdown thats says mpga and select mp3. Type in a bitrate of 32-64Kbps.

The next step is to go back up to the target field and alter the scale section. It should read 'scale=0.5' in amongst the other settings. You can play about with this number, it will adjust the size (resolution) of your video.

You should have something that looks like this:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,vb=240,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:1234}}

Click Okay, and Okay again in the next window, and congratulations! You are now streaming the video from your DVB-S card.

Unfortuantely there is no way to change the channel remotely using this method, and every time you do change the channel, you will need to go through this process again.

To open the stream up on the remote computer, it's best to use VLC or Media Player Classic.

If using VLC - File > Open Network Stream > HTTP - 'Your IP Address' - '8080'.
If using Media Player Classic - File > Open File > Open: 'http://Your IP Address:8080'

Type 'What is My IP' into Google and you'll find a ton of sites that will help you find this out.

Luke

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thank you. :)
I can't use DVBdream as it doesn't recognize my card, only ProgDVB.

LukeUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zone 1 @ 28.2 - HD PVR | 65cm Fortec w/Inverto LNB @ 1W - KWorld PCI DVB-S | Core 2 Quad Q6600, nVidia 8600GT, 600GB RAID 0, 22" LCD and 24" CRT TV, DVBDream
My Location
Berkshire, UK
That's a shame. I'll have a play about with ProgDVB and see if I can get it to work with the method above..