I have

Sky HD receiver
Blu-ray surround sound
50" TV

It connected as follows.

Sky box 1.4 spec Hdmi lead direct to tv
Optical cable to Blu-ray Surround sound system
1.4 spec Hdmi from Blu-ray surround to TV

When i watch Sky the sound comes out from surround as normal. If i watch a Blu-ray sound comes out as normal.

the problem is, when i have finished watching blu-ray and want to return to Sky, when the optical button is pressed sky goes through the surround sound. but when i turn the telly over all sound stops and the only way to get it back on is by turning the blu-ray player off and back on at the wall

the power socket is right down in the corner of the unit and is difficult to keep reaching!

any help would be great.

Regards

Jon

Chris_Lucid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD, Acer 4233WLMi laptop
My Location
Middlewich, Cheshire
A cure for the symptom is one of the remote control power sockets such as the bye bye standby devices or similar.

Curing the cause might be a little trickier given we don't know the model of your Blu-ray surround system... hint hint :-doh2

If I were in front of your gear I'd start by switching off any communications settings in the TV and Blu-ray system. I deal with Panasonic TVs quite a bit. They call the feature Viera Link. Samsung will have their own name for it.

BTW, a 1.4 spec HDMI lead won't do any harm with a Sky box, but Sky's HDMI socket can't make use of any HDMI features beyond HDMI 1.1 As long as you have a Hi-Speed HDMI cable spec'd (and even that's overkill for the 1080i signal for Sky) then there's no point putting in a /more expensive lead.

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
I managed to sort it

I turned off simplink and all is good.

The reason i put in 1.4spec hdmi is well i can get them cheap enough from my hd supplier and for future use 3D and next gerneration highdef 2160p

Chris_Lucid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD, Acer 4233WLMi laptop
My Location
Middlewich, Cheshire
OK, it's like I said then - Simplink is your TV manufacturer's version of Viera Link. Turning it off solved the switching problem. All good then.

hdmi cables - ditto above from previous post. No harm, but I doubt Sky with be going beyond 1080i for 3D.