Switching from Virgin, new Sat/ip PVR setup advice

boomish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Older sky dish, quad LNB, looking for a new sat DVR setup
My Location
Middlesex
We’re finally dumping Virgin & looking to replace it with something similar, I’ve read lots of Forums, posts , websites & my heads about to burst:) I initially thought a Simple sat receiver with PVR via openvix would be the thing, I’ve been looking at VU 4k box & changing my quad LNB to a wideband, but looking on their website there doesn’t seem to be any news or software updates sine 2018, I presume IPTV has taken over the popularity of satellite in recent years (I’m guessing here) & there seems to be these cheaper Sat/ip boxes running kodi etc It’s hard to find what’s best for the UK.

Now I’m a bit lost on what to get, so far I’ve an older Humax 1100s with a drive attached, only a single feed & it’s quite slow. I suppose something simple enough to setup & have a good epg but also has scope to lots with so I’m guessing a combination box of live satellite with ip, we have a smart TV for on demand stuff so we don’t need Netflix etc but I’d like the quality possible , HD UHD & 4k. Sorry for long post but any suggestions?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
The VU+ 4K range, of satellite receivers, are just an Enigma 2 based receiver, on which you load an image, like OpenVix, OpenBh, etc.., and add required plugins, software.
I assume that you're just going to stick with a fixed dish, for 28.2E?
A lot of receivers now have a caddy, for a hard drive to slot in, which is useful for recording. You will want one with multiple tuners, to allow you to record/view multiple satellite transponders.
You can also set up KODI, on these images, so that you can download, (record), kodi streams.
Everything depends on your budget, what you require, and how much you know, about Enigma 2 receivers, or are willing to learn.
At some point you might want to motorize your dish, or add a second motorized dish, so that you can view other satellites.

boomish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Older sky dish, quad LNB, looking for a new sat DVR setup
My Location
Middlesex
The VU+ 4K range, of satellite receivers, are just an Enigma 2 based receiver, on which you load an image, like OpenVix, OpenBh, etc.., and add required plugins, software.
I assume that you're just going to stick with a fixed dish, for 28.2E?
A lot of receivers now have a caddy, for a hard drive to slot in, which is useful for recording. You will want one with multiple tuners, to allow you to record/view multiple satellite transponders.
You can also set up KODI, on these images, so that you can download, (record), kodi streams.
Everything depends on your budget, what you require, and how much you know, about Enigma 2 receivers, or are willing to learn.
At some point you might want to motorize your dish, or add a second motorized dish, so that you can view other satellites.
Thanks Mickha yea just the fixed dish, def willing to learn , I work in a tech job f did look into it many years ago. Happy to spend a bit for a good setup, just a bit confusing with all the Android boxes & IPTV Stuff . I’ll go for the V.York as it seems very good unless there is a better alternative..?