Viark Sat 4k
Viark DRS2
Qviart Dual
BuzzTv XRS4500
Nvidia Shield
Eachlink X3 Mini 4/64gb
My Location
Leeds
For me the M4 is a solid FTA motorised capable receiver unlike a number of other recommended brands that failed miserably controlling my motorised satellite dish reliably.

Well we will agree to disagree so.

I’m on my second TM in ten years. My first experience was a satisfactory one and I only have my second, the M4 two months and so far so good.

I don’t spend endless amounts of money purchasing STBs. No need. I’ll leave that pastime to others. I didn’t fall for anyone’s hype nor did I part with my wad for the M4 as you so colourfully put it. In fact I’m commenting as an M4 owner and not a spectator.
What are these other brands you have tried that failed miserably to move your motor ? I ask because you claim you have had your previous TM for 10 years. And you dont spend money on other receivers.

One of your main points on you been happy with your purchase is reliable dish control but i don't see you comparing it to anything and have little experience with other receivers because you say you dont buy them.

You are by the sound of it enjoying the M4 but criticise members of the sat community that have got the M4 to the point it is now by reporting the bugs and praising the good points. Without feedback negative or positive receivers wont move forward development wise. All feedback helps and there has been a huge amount of feedback provided by the sat community member you criticise .

You go on about a certain feature been removed as if it is nothing to you, watching freesat and feeds maybe it is not.

To other people who read the initial reports on that feature and possibly bought the M4 because of it, it is a major loss to those customers and a waste of money. I personally think it is very under handed of Technomate to remove it. They should of never released it with that feature to start with the legal side has not changed so they can not use that as an excuse.

Last edited:

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
I make a purchase based on personal experience and informed decision making. I certainly don’t subscribe to herd mentality. While I stated I don’t buy endless amounts of receivers at no stage did I say I haven’t tested some of them.

At the risk of repeating myself I purchased the TM brand based on previous experience and the M4 in particular as it matched the specs I was searching for. That decision wasn’t made on the ability of some third party’s ability to hack the M4s firmware and add some “feature” which clearly was never officially advertised or offered by the manufacturer. Had it been I would certainly have been disappointed as I imagine you are.

I have no interest in E2 receivers. If I wanted to go that route I’d be using a Linux PC with a DVB card like the TBS to achieve that experience and more.

The OP asked for a recommendation based on personal experience which I gave. What he got from was commentary from some people who didn’t even own the M4 but felt it necessary to trot out the negative commentary they’ve read elsewhere. In fact right up to the point where TM removed that infamous “feature” these commentators were quite impressed with the M4 and TM’s ongoing support via regular firmware updates.

As I stated I gave my opinion as a satisfied M4 owner. It would be up to the OP to do his own research and decide what is important to him when buying a receiver. If all that is important to him is that now infamous “feature” of course I’d advise him to look elsewhere. Otherwise I’d have no problem recommending the M4.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
so whats the blindscan like on this box anyway?

can you delete all TPs at once before scanning?

does it auto tune the multistream TPs?

does it bring in hidden (and not available) TPs from a DB when blind scanning?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

If the file format used by the M4 is *.ndf or *.cndf you can use the Clarke Tech channel editor to clean up the satellite database.
I use this editor quite often for Dr HD F15 and TM-5402 (non M4) receivers that I have.

You can edit pretty much everything in the satellite database including deletion of unwanted TP's.

As pointed out earlier, the interface of the M4 is similar to that of the Starsat 2000 so if it uses the same satellite database format as that receiver then the Starsat channel editor might work OK.
It should be easy to find out the satellite database format for the M4 if it allows the data to be exported to a USB stick.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
so whats the blindscan like on this box anyway?

does it auto tune the multistream TPs?

does it bring in hidden (and not available) TPs from a DB when blind scanning?
Commenting as an M4 owner using official 1.12 TM firmware dated Sep 30 2021.

1) Yes under Satellite Setup press Green button to delete all transponders. In Blind Scan it does delete both the channel list and transponder list.

2) Blindscan of Astra 28.2 takes 4.22

3) Once you turn on Multistream scanning it will scan what’s available.

4) I don’t see any hidden or not available TP’s but I’ll look closer when I have time

Just trying to determine what you are looking for from a STB. I noticed from another post that you have an M3.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
Commenting as an M4 owner using official 1.12 TM firmware dated Sep 30 2021.

1) Yes under Satellite Setup press Green button to delete all transponders. In Blind Scan it does delete both the channel list and transponder list.

2) Blindscan of Astra 28.2 takes 4.22

3) Once you turn on Multistream scanning it will scan what’s available.

4) I don’t see any hidden or not available TP’s but I’ll look closer when I have time

Just trying to determine what you are looking for from a STB. I noticed from another post that you have an M3.
Thank you for clearing that up.

I actually have a TM-5402M3, 5302 and a 6902. 2 X Octagon SF-8008s. 1 x Golden Interstar Alpha X

The 5302 lets you delete all TPs but 5402 doesn't. I don't think 6902 does either.

Octagon is used as main receiver as I record to a network NAS which I believe only E2 receivers can do and is also used to move the dish.

Everything else is used a spare box from time to time connected to the 2nd dish feed mainly blind scanning ...ever seeking the perfect blind scanning box of tricks without going pc route

How long does it take to blind scan 5w and pull in all the multistrean Channels. The alpha X takes ages I think. Need to retest

Last edited:

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Sounds like you have all bases covered with you box collection. I’d go the computer route if I wanted any further scanning capabilities. Possibly one of the SBC’s like a Raspberry Pi or a Rock64 and a TBS5925. All low profile, that can be easily hidden. The TBS5925 is not cheap but worth it I imagine.

5W scan with Multistream set to on takes 4.48.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
One of your main points on you been happy with your purchase is reliable dish control but i don't see you comparing it to anything and have little experience with other receivers because you say you dont buy them.
Thanks for reminding me on that one. I'll clarify the anomoly shortly in the other thread.

Ferret

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gigablue UE 4K
Octagon SF8008
Viark Sat 4k
Viark DRS2
Qviart Dual
BuzzTv XRS4500
Nvidia Shield
Eachlink X3 Mini 4/64gb
My Location
Leeds

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
sooo - i took the plunge and bought one.

first impressions - its very light! there cant be much in the chassis.

powered on - and was NOT impressed with the MENU \ GUI - so very basic.

it came with a JUNE firmware on.

First test - I moved dish to 5W - and did a blindscan with multistream set to on on - it found the multistream channels EXCEPT RAI1 HD - odd i thought (read on)

I then cleared ALL TP's for 5w and removed all channels.

I then repeated the blindscan test - this time, it found NO multistream channels....so its not actually detecting them, its pulling them from a hidden DB (which will gradually get out of date)

to prove my theory, i then did a factory reset - (which in theory puts the TPs back from its hidden Databse - low and behold - same result, it found the MS channels again but without RAI1 HD.

Disappointing i thought - i then upgraded to the latest September firmware - no different.

The TV is now in use by the family so i wont be able to do any more tests until later, but on the face of it, im thinking its just another NOT very special STB.

I have since discovered there have been changes to the Multistrem channels on 5w over the last week or so , which explains why it doesnt find RAI1 HD - as the TP database is ALREADY out of date, since the Sept firmware came out.

I'm now wondering if ANY STB can actually find Multistream TP's and find the values \ decode them without manual intervention, or will we always need to find the correct values from forums \ sat sites etc.

Over and out. (for now)

LAST WEEK:
DVB-S2
8PSK
3/5

PLS
Gold 131070
Multistream
Stream 4

THIS WEEK:
DVB-S2
8PSK
2/3

PLS
Gold 131070
Multistream
Stream 4

Last edited:

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
sooo - i took the plunge and bought one.

first impressions - its very light! there cant be much in the chassis.

powered on - and was NOT impressed with the MENU \ GUI - so very basic.

it came with a JUNE firmware on.

First test - I moved dish to 5W - and did a blindscan with multistream set to on on - it found the multistream channels EXCEPT RAI1 HD - odd i thought (read on)

I then cleared ALL TP's for 5w and removed all channels.

I then repeated the blindscan test - this time, it found NO multistream channels....so its not actually detecting them, its pulling them from a hidden DB (which will gradually get out of date)

to prove my theory, i then did a factory reset - (which in theory puts the TPs back from its hidden Databse - low and behold - same result, it found the MS channels again but without RAI1 HD.

Disappointing i thought - i then upgraded to the latest September firmware - no different.

The TV is now in use by the family so i wont be able to do any more tests until later, but on the face of it, im thinking its just another NOT very special STB.

I have since discovered there have been changes to the Multistrem channels on 5w over the last week or so , which explains why it doesnt find RAI1 HD - as the TP database is ALREADY out of date, since the Sept firmware came out.

I'm now wondering if ANY STB can actually find Multistream TP's and find the values \ decode them without manual intervention, or will we always need to find the correct values from forums \ sat sites etc.

Over and out. (for now)

LAST WEEK:
DVB-S2
8PSK
3/5

PLS
Gold 131070
Multistream
Stream 4

THIS WEEK:
DVB-S2
8PSK
2/3

PLS
Gold 131070
Multistream
Stream 4
The first thing I would have done before setting it up was to upgrade to the latest firmware. Did you check the TM website for the firmware change logs since the June factory version. Changes in how Multistream is handled was one of them.

I’ve successfully scanned all the Multistream channels on 5w that are available to me including the RAI bouquet. I’ve deleted TPs and rescanned on many occasions without any adverse effects.

Just ask what you want scanned and I’ll post the results here.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
not sure it matters WHEN i updated firmware - the point is i did it on both old and new.

RAI1 HD does not come in on a SCAN of 5W no matter what i do....however i was pressed for time during tests, maybe when i have time later pennies might drop.

@Satspot can you try repeating scan since the changes if you dont mind pls.

Pipedream

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.9-1.2 & 2.2 precision dishes TM5402 mk3 TM5302 & V8 Golden
My Location
Sheffield
I think you said you had a Golden Interstar, try that it scans ok on a blind scan. Rai 1 HD 11179 V 35290

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
not sure it matters WHEN i updated firmware - the point is i did it on both old and new.

RAI1 HD does not come in on a SCAN of 5W no matter what i do....however i was pressed for time during tests, maybe when i have time later pennies might drop.

@Satspot can you try repeating scan since the changes if you dont mind pls.
Complete rescan just for you.

11179 V 35300 M4 & M5

All RAI HD channels present and are showing perfect. Signal quality 92%. Is there anything else you need to know.

I do know they are constantly chopping and changing RAI on 5w so maybe when you are back on your receiver try scanning again. Also try Blind Scan TV only Multistream On.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
Nope. No dice my friend - i'm beginning to smell a rat.

So, if i delete all TP's on 5w (so when it says NO TRANSPONDERS under "Satellite setup" on 5W) and do a blind scan with these settings:

Mode: All channels
Multistream; On

It finds just 16 TPs - but alas NO - 11179 V 35300

If i do the same search AFTER performing a factory reset (which restores 11179 V 30000 but not 11179 V 35300) and I dont delete any TPs - it finds 27 TPs (1 added)

RAI1 HD not one of them

i dont want to be negative, but something aint right with this STB.

Also i would like to see on this STB, something which all old TM's used to be able to do, is to filer on CAS type \ FREE - now you can't - just ALL, A-Z or TP (there is a find)

Also, PIP \ MOSIAC.

PS signal is 98% on most TP's, if not ALL on this sat, so its not a signal issue.

VERY Odd that you're saying you can pull it in though.

Last edited:

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Did you read the last line of my post

Blind Scan TV ONLY.

Where did you get the latest firmware from.

Ranting about the receiver is certainly not going to help. I’ve no idea why you keep doing a factory reset each time. If my receiver is picking up the channels in questions clearly you’re doing something wrong.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
Did you read the last line of my post

Blind Scan TV ONLY.

Where did you get the latest firmware from.

Ranting about the receiver is certainly not going to help. I’ve no idea why you keep doing a factory reset each time. If my receiver is picking up the channels in questions clearly you’re doing something wrong.

Im not ranting. Im feeding back my findings.

Yes i did read the last line of your post.

It makes no difference whichever mode i try.

I got the firmware from technomate site.
TM-5402 M4_300921.bin

Factory reset - is a method to bring back the default TP's into the DB - a way in which previous TM's worked. This is to see if it makes a difference, and if it REALLY is performing a blindscan, or pulling out TP's from a hidden database.

I would like to establish what i might be doing wrong.

Did you actually delete all TP's from the Satellite Setup menu or are you omitting that from your findings \ and or \ search technique.

Attached:
look - no 11179 V 35300

Attachments

• tm5402m4.jpg
    tm5402m4.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Park the dish on 5°W, then select a satellite other than 5°W and blind scan, does it find any of the multistream transponders?

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
Park the dish on 5°W, then select a satellite other than 5°W and blind scan, does it find any of the multistream transponders?
hey mate - this box does find multistream TP's - im not saying it doesnt - it finds the french ones no problem - my point is thats its not accurately finding all. RAI1 HD was a good test, and so far we're not there yet, im hoping nothing major...a firmware bug possibly

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
It might rule out the hidden database theory? Could also change the LO settings and then blind scan, to see if it still finds the multistream transponders on offset frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.