Advice Needed Time for an upgrade to 4K

bas1492

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu+ duo
My Location
uk
I've got a lot of boxes here. Uno, Duo, Ultimo, Solo2 Solo 4K, Ultimo 4K, Nino Pro, Mio 4k, Mio 4k+, sf8008, lots more.

sf8008 comes as a twin (2x DVB-S2) or combo (1x DVB-T2, 1x DVB-S2). Great box. Has blindscan. Is MIS and T2MI capable. Can't blind scan PLS codes.

Mio 4k+ has 2 DVB-S2 tuners, one of which is also DVB-T2 capable. Has blindscan. Is MIS and T2MI capable. And can blind scan PLS codes.

Both are great boxes, well within your budget. Add an external USB3 disk (or even a USB pen at a pinch) and you have a very capable PVR.
Looking at upgrading to 4k too. Dont know how to private message on here but i'd like to know your prices etc. Currentlly using an old vu+ duo with blackhole but getting the dreaded tuner fail thing, capacitor change only extended life for 6 months

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Have a look at the forum sponsor. More a question of what you want to spend. sf8008 is a pretty amazing bit of kit for around 100 quid.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Maperu was playing with a Zgemma H9S a couple of years ago.

I recall somebody mentioned they might be hard of hearing, but for £60 second hand you could try one, then sell off if you don't like it without loss.

bas1492

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu+ duo
My Location
uk
Have a look at the forum sponsor. More a question of what you want to spend. sf8008 is a pretty amazing bit of kit for around 100 quid.
Would you say its better than the vu zero? I dont mind paying the extra 50 for a box that i can identify with for example. It took me ages to get used to how the vus work and im not very tech minded

dmaavrigdo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Laminas OFC1200 dish
Inverto Quad Black Ultra IDLT-QDL412-ULTRA-OPN
Octagon SF8008 twin
Yamaha HTR-2067
My Location
Vansbro Sweden
Maperu was playing with a Zgemma H9S a couple of years ago.

I recall somebody mentioned they might be hard of hearing, but for £60 second hand you could try one, then sell off if you don't like it without loss.
My H9S was poor on the high band. Replaced it with a SF8008 twin. Much happier.

peapod1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Mio 4k UHD, Fracarro Penta 85 with Inverto Black Ultra LNB. Technomate 2600 motor. Technomate 6902hd and 1m Gibertini in France.
My Location
Wiltshire UK and Bandol, France
My H9S was poor on the high band. Replaced it with a SF8008 twin. Much happier.
Well, my Edision Mio has just been delivered, so I'm about to take my first tentative steps into the world of Linux, attempting a motorised setup install guided by an Openvix manual written in 2014.
'Use the Vhannibal channel list' said the man. Is this bundled/embedded in Openvix, or do I have to download it? So many questions.....

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You have to download it, via the openvix menu options.
If you have had an Enigma 2 receiver before then you can use the dreambox tools, like dreamboxedit, to connect, to your receiver, from your PC, using the Fast FTP Download option, edit it, add bouquets, (Favourites), then save it, to your PC, and FTP, the amended list, back to your receiver.
You will then have a backup, of your channels, and bouquets, on your PC.

peapod1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Mio 4k UHD, Fracarro Penta 85 with Inverto Black Ultra LNB. Technomate 2600 motor. Technomate 6902hd and 1m Gibertini in France.
My Location
You have to download it, via the openvix menu options.
If you have had an Enigma 2 receiver before then you can use the dreambox tools, like dreamboxedit, to connect, to your receiver, from your PC, using the Fast FTP Download option, edit it, add bouquets, (Favourites), then save it, to your PC, and FTP, the amended list, back to your receiver.
You will then have a backup, of your channels, and bouquets, on your PC.
Thanks Mickha for confirming.
It's an old Technomate box, non-E2.
One oddity is that the lat/long settings in the old box differ from those shown in dishpointer, by about 0.1 degrees in each case, yet the dish correctly tracks the arc. Do I just keep the Technomate settings when swapping out the receivers?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
If using USALS, then yes, 0.1 degree won't make much difference, the main setting, to get right, is the Longitude value, remembering that negative Longitude = West, positive = East.
When setting up a new receiver you might want to first move the dish/motor to 0, using your old receiver, so that you can set it up again using your new receiver. I haven't really played with USALS, except when setting a system up for my parents, as I always use Diseqc 1.2, with a 36v motor, and a V-Box II, thus changing receivers is different, as I only have to enter the Diseqc 1.2 settings, on the new receiver, to match those on my V-Box II.

peapod1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
... I only have to enter the Diseqc 1.2 settings, on the new receiver, to match those on my V-Box...

Thanks. I was rather hoping that that was all I was required to do when just changing the receiver

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
If you're entering your Latitude, and Longitude, it is probable that you're using USALS, to drive your motor, I have to use V=Box II as I have 4 electrical type wires, running from my motor, to V-Box II. My parents setup was easier, as I used a Fracarro Penta 85cm dish, and basic Technomate motor, so that a co-ax cable ran, from the LNB, to the motor, then from the motor to their receiver. Even then I used Diseqc 1.2, to align the dish, as they only required 3 satellites, 28.2E, 23.5E and 19.2E, which provides everything they want.

Please post back, when you get your new receiver, and hopefully provide a review, for other members.

bas1492

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu+ duo
My Location
uk
Sorry to start this thread up again. The vu+ has been acting weird. I finally worked out that the only satellite it was playing up with was 13e. Everything else had no problems. Ive had an electrician friend have a look at it and he has no idea why this would be. Its all the channels on 13e too. Ive tried repositioning etc, its dead on. I get above 80% usually then it says tune failed etc or glitches constantly. Ive changed the lnb as i had an old dark gold one here, nothing, changed all the cables, nothing. I didnt expect this to work as im picking up all the other channels but before i buy a new box im trying to work out if it could be something else, something cheaper hopefully :)