tonights MTV awards in film mode broadcsat

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
i was about to sit and enjoy the awards tonight. but not watching it because the tv colour scheme or broadcsat is in film mode not live mode broadcsat. i dont know what the real technical term is for this broadcast mode. but if you have seen eastenders and holloaks you can clearly see the differnce in broadcsat standard. god knows why mtv have adopted this way of broadcasting like this for such a great event like the awards. the red carper show 1 hr before was in the mode i like but when gone to the main even it is in film mode.

if you dont understand what i am talking about. watch the colour/broadcast standard of sky news then watch the mtv awards. you will get the jist of what i am talking about.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
A lot of television is broadcast like that. And I agree, it is annoying especially when the visable picture is deliberately thinned down to look cool. Or, like you say a "movie".

I remember watching one channel a few weeks back that showed a film that only had seven inches from top to bottom visable on a 22 inch screen.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are you talking aspect ratio or picture tone/quality?

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
feed channles of the awards was on nov 1.on 10e,signal was very weak 1.20m dish was needed,so i was not here,and mis the complete event:(
does anyone have recorded in on HD tv,and can send me a copy on double layer dvdr?
who one the awards?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
rolfw said:

I was talking about the trend to broadcast a forced, very narrow widescreen effect, just for show. :-Nooo

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Saturlight said:
I was talking about the trend to broadcast a forced, very narrow widescreen effect, just for show. :-Nooo

Letterboxing, yeah doesn't look very good at all when it isn't done properly.

I find pillarboxing, where they put the black bits on the side to sqeeze the picture into a square, is even worse and unfortunately is common with football pictures from Eastern Europe and elsewhere.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
rolfw said:

thanks rolw. yes the tone was terible eg movie like. i wonder if there is a genuine technical term of the broadcasting standard.

hollyoaks is always broadcsat in this terrible tone since 3/2 years ago , before it used to be ok in the tones of . standard on channel 4. you will then understand what i am talking about.

if anyone from MTV on ch4 can please tell us what this tone is and why is it used for a live event as we viwerers know it is terible. Because before 2005 the tone was as it was meant to be. in live mode.

I just like to state again that 'Hollyoaks' C4 is one of the culprits which broadcsats in the infereior tone.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
I know the colour/picture 'tone' varies because some programmes and movies are either shot on film, real video quad tape, or digital "tape".

Over to you... ;)