My Satellite Setup
Schwaiger DSR691 HDPL full HD satellite decoder
84.5cm x 76.5 wide Schwaiger dish
Opticum quad LNB or Schwaiger single LNB
GT Media V8 Finder signal meter.
My Location
Luxembourg
Hi guy!

I'm sure this must have come up a million times before BUT I can't find an appropriate thread so here goes.

I have a room in an awkward location that needs to be fed with a satellite signal. It is going to be very difficult to cable up so I wondered if there is any method of transmitting the signal from the satellite dish over Ethernet or by some other wireless means.

The physical distance involved is not massive - perhaps 20 metres but laying a cable would be dire!

TIA

Paul BJ

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Video sender but there might be constraints if the output from a receiver connected to the dish has HDCP on the output ports?
Alternatively, "Zoom" it from one room and receive it in another room.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well there used to be the Slingbox, but due to the rise in streaming sources, they have discontinued their product. Twenty metres wirelessly will be an issue and Witbox the Slingbox alternative is a commercial headend product at £2,000 or so, as with most other commercial streaming servers. I guess you could do it with a mulyimedia PC.

SkyWatcher

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL65, Azbox Premium HD+, Azbox Mini Me, Techno mate Tm3000 D, Golden V8
My Location
London
Well there used to be the Slingbox, but due to the rise in streaming sources, they have discontinued their product. Twenty metres wirelessly will be an issue and Witbox the Slingbox alternative is a commercial headend product at £2,000 or so, as with most other commercial streaming servers. I guess you could do it with a mulyimedia PC.
There are a few Slingboxes on ebay at the moment including a Slingbox Pro for not much money.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
If you just need it for viewing channels there are satellite receivers (for example an original firmware GT Media V9 Prime) that can export an m3u8 file which you can then open on another device or computer and access the channels over the network.

Have a look at Telestar Digibit satellite-to-IP boxes or the E2 Multiroom TV Client-System which uses Enigma 2 satellite receivers. There are also HDMI-to-ethernet extenders but these require a direct connection rather than using an existing network.

orizatriznyak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+Duo4kSE, Vu+Solo2, Wavefrontier T90 (via satip)
My Location
Budapest,Hungary
Hi guy!

I'm sure this must have come up a million times before BUT I can't find an appropriate thread so here goes.

I have a room in an awkward location that needs to be fed with a satellite signal. It is going to be very difficult to cable up so I wondered if there is any method of transmitting the signal from the satellite dish over Ethernet or by some other wireless means.

The physical distance involved is not massive - perhaps 20 metres but laying a cable would be dire!

TIA

Paul BJ
You can use any Enigma2 based receiver as satip client. It is an IP based virtual tuner protocol:
You also need a server for this. It can be a satip hardware (Products - SATIP), another Linux box, or a PC with a DVB tuner, running minisatip:

Last edited:

PaulBJ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Schwaiger DSR691 HDPL full HD satellite decoder
84.5cm x 76.5 wide Schwaiger dish
Opticum quad LNB or Schwaiger single LNB
GT Media V8 Finder signal meter.
My Location
Luxembourg

orizatriznyak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+Duo4kSE, Vu+Solo2, Wavefrontier T90 (via satip)
My Location
Budapest,Hungary
Does that allow the satellite decoder on the other end to change the channels on the satellite LNB?
Yes, but it doesn't have to be a satellite decoder. It can be any client that supports the satip protocol.

FC GD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TBS6983 Professional DVB-S2 Dual Tuner PCI-e Card, TBS6522 Multi-standard Dual Tuner PCI-e Card, EyeTV Netstream 4Sat and Netstream Sat, EyeTV Sat CI, Hybrid (2008, International), EyeTV Sat Free
SDR: RSP1, Adalm-Pluto, Airspy HF+ Discovery
Antenna: SelfSat H50D4
Mac:EyeTV 3, SAT>IP Viewer, Dvblogic, eyetvCamd
PC:DVB Viewer, EBS Pro, Crazyscan, IQ monitor, TS reader
Pay Tv: Allente, Telia
My Location
Stockholm
I love the satip protocol. I have used it for many many years. I have a couple of satip server devices and I can say that Digital Devices Octopus Net mini ITX is one of the best.

One DD Octopus Net mini (DVBS/S2,DVB-T,DVB-C) is installed in my parents' summer house In Bulgaria. When i am in Sweden at home, It allows me to watch channels from Turksat 42 (turkey and east beam), from Bulgaria Sat and from their DVB-T network. In my apartment here in Sweden I have Sat>IP Elgato Netstream 4Sat v2 and it allows me to watch nordic channels from nordic beam during my summers in Bulgaria. On both ends I have Vu+ receivers as client devices. Easiest in my case was to send data traffic through the Site-to-Site VPN tunnel between Bulgaria and Sweden. But other VPN protocols are OK too. On the local network is just plug and play.