Unicable vs Sky's dSCR

fsphil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Still playing with analogue. Also running a Humax FOXSAT-HDR and a Thomson THS804.
My Location
UK
Hi all,

I've been reading up on Unicable and it's a pretty neat system. Sky UK seem to be using some variation of it but I've not been able to find exactly what the difference is.
From what I've read it seems like the DiSEqC commands are the same, but Sky's dSCR user band frequencies can vary from standard Unicable and uses an unusual selection of them (UB 3, 9, 11, 14, etc). Would that be accurate?

Would that also mean that an older Unicable I tuner (my Humax Foxsat-HDR in this case) would work with a Sky dSCR multiswitch, but would only be able to use User Band 3 as they only support UB's 1-8?

-Phil

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I've previously used a Humax Foxsat (non-recording single tuner) with a Unitron dCSS-422 (as supplied by Sky at one time) using the UBs from the right column, though I can't remember which exact ones. I used it alongside a Sky+ HD box though they were on separate outputs of the multiswitch. If there's break in the weather I can connect it up again and check what works?

Attachments

• 00D199BE-4C64-475B-A2C3-234292DEF884.jpeg
    00D199BE-4C64-475B-A2C3-234292DEF884.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 24

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If there's break in the weather I can connect it up again and check what works?

I know what you mean - this relentless heat and sunshine just isn't conducive to any form of work :ph34r:

fsphil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Still playing with analogue. Also running a Humax FOXSAT-HDR and a Thomson THS804.
My Location
UK
I've previously used a Humax Foxsat (non-recording single tuner) with a Unitron dCSS-422 (as supplied by Sky at one time) using the UBs from the right column, though I can't remember which exact ones. I used it alongside a Sky+ HD box though they were on separate outputs of the multiswitch. If there's break in the weather I can connect it up again and check what works?
If it's no bother, I'm curious if it can work with both tuners at the same time (I believe the F output needs to be pass through to the second input for that?).

I guess that means there must be a difference in the DiSEqC signalling for the multi-switch to tell them apart.
So a different question would be, would a Sky box work with a regular non-Sky multi-switch? Because that was my plan :cool:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
My dish is at ground level so only takes a few minutes to set it all up. You can use a splitter to feed two tuners from one cable.

Sky boxes don't work with standard Unicable LNBs so don't think they'll work with non-Sky multi-switches. The Unitron like mine can be bought cheaply from Ebay but Sky+ HD boxes only appear to work with the first 4 UBs in the left column.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
The Humax Foxsat only worked with the first 3 UB/frequency in the right column. After that even when adding the correct frequency there was no signal.

I did eventually get a Sky HD box to work alongside the Humax using SCR channels 9 & 11 in the Sky installer menu. However they would only work simultaneously with the Humax set to channel 1 1210MHz. Channels 2 & 3 on the Humax caused the Sky box to no signal.

fsphil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The Humax Foxsat only worked with the first 3 UB/frequency in the right column. After that even when adding the correct frequency there was no signal.

I did eventually get a Sky HD box to work alongside the Humax using SCR channels 9 & 11 in the Sky installer menu. However they would only work simultaneously with the Humax set to channel 1 1210MHz. Channels 2 & 3 on the Humax caused the Sky box to no signal.
Thanks for testing. Is that with both receivers on the same output with a passive splitter?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Unitron 1 output -> Sky power inserter (Humax worked without it) -> passive splitter -> Humax & Sky HD box.

These Unitrons were intended for use with Sky Q so may be the reason the older Sky HD boxes take a lot of fiddling to get working? By that I mean lots of reboots and messing with the SCR channel settings.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Apparently Sky+ HD boxes can only use a combination of SCR channels 9, 11 or 14 when used with a dCSS-422. I guess these use the same frequencies as UB 1, 2 and 3 in the right column and may explain why the Humax could only use those 3 channels. It would also explain the no signal issues I had.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
If you use a wideband lnb just be aware that there are 2 different kinds. Lo 10.4 and 10.41. Sky Q/4k Freesat only works with 10.41 wideband LNBs or with a quattro you need to use a multiswitch I think this is correct.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Further to my comment in post #10 you can use either type of wideband LNB with an Inverto Unicable multiswitch. It just needs to be reprogrammed if you have a Freesat 4K or Sky Q receiver.

fsphil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Indeed. I got a non-Sky Inverto multi switch and was able to program it to work with two Sky 10.41 GHz WB LNBs (for both Astra's 19.2 and 28.2).

It works well with my Foxsat HDR in SCR mode - one cable for both tuners.
I also tried a Sky HD box but it doesn't work with it in SCR mode, only legacy. I don't have a Sky Q or Freesat 4K box to test with but I suspect it would only work in legacy mode too.

Of course shortly after I bought this multi switch Inverto released models that support WB LNBs and all the SCR modes including the Sky varient. I'll try and get one of those eventually to test.