Using BSkyB Viewing Card In A Dreambox

ghost32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
only got sky package right now, looking to enter the dreambox world with a motorised dish.
My Location
Hemel Hempstead
I am TOTALLY totally new to the dreambox scene and over the next few months i'll be reading up on how to do everything. ( via all the guides etc)
but my sky+ is knackered and all the service providers want to charge an arm and a leg to either move providers or get a new box and sign up on anotehr 12 months contract...
SO I've been thinking about getting a dreambox and learning it's capabilities...
my only question I ask is

Which one should i think about buying ( i would like to get HD on..) and if i put my current sky viewing card in... will it pick up all my current channels my old sky+ box does.. (i.e sky sports etc which i currently have)
then at least the missus won't get on at me whilst i learn how to do everything else..

Thank you for any replies.
Mark

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Before any of the DM gurus wake up, have you threatened Sky with closing your Account? That can often lead to you getting your Sky+ box replaced without further ado.

ghost32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
only got sky package right now, looking to enter the dreambox world with a motorised dish.
My Location
Hemel Hempstead
Thanks for the reply....
yeah tried that... and best they are offering me is a Sky HD+ for free but £10.25 added onto my subscription... which with the lot ( internet/phone etc etc)
is hitting £70 per month!
I've been thinking about trying a dreambox for a while... ( just needed the push to take the plunge)
I see the 7020hd and the 8000HD are the top models... ( whether i need that much or not i don't know) all I want is to be able to do is have a PVR that i can watch my normal Sky channels + the football. ( hopefully more football than Sky provides when i learn about everything.)
so maybe the 500HD or 800HD might be good enough.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Even if you put your card in a Dreambox it will not open any more channels that your card is currently authorised to open.

A dreambox is not a plug and play box, i'm still finding new things about mine five years on. You cannot just put a Sky card into the box and expect it to work straightaway.

Depenedent on which emu you use to decode the card you either need to find the Sky+ boxes Boxkey so the Dreambox can decode the premium channels or you need to set up OSCam to decode the card.

OSCam is not the easiest of emus to setup. OSCam is the only emu that will decode all the channels (providing the card is authorised to do so). CCCam will decode most of the authorised channels apart from Pick TV & Pick TV+1 and i think its also one of the sports channels that don't decode.

Even if your new Dreambox is capable of decoding HD channels it will not open any of the HD channels ( bar the free ones) if the card is not authorised to do so. Either way if you want HD you are going to have to pay the extra £10.25 a month regardless of what box you have.

The only other way of getting is extra channels is through cardsharing which is a very grey area on this forum. Whilst we will go through the basics, we will not go into depth due to the legalities involved. We also do not allow the exchanging of shares here

A Dreambox will not give you any more channels from your card than your current box will. If you need a replacement box just get one off eBay. Once its arrived just ring Sky and tell them you have a new box and they will pair the card to the new box.

Nano

ghost32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hemel Hempstead
Thanks for the reply...
I understand what you are saying, right now i don't want to see any more channels that my card is currently authorised to see. ( i'll learn work those out as time goes on) i just want to get a alternative replacement.. giving my wife and kids the least down time, whilst i learn the capabilities of the box..
In my previous post i was stating my requirements.. just so who ever replies to which type of box might be suitable for me.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ghost32 said:
Thanks for the reply...
I understand what you are saying, right now i don't want to see any more channels that my card is currently authorised to see. ( i'll learn work those out as time goes on) i just want to get a alternative replacement.. giving my wife and kids the least down time, whilst i learn the capabilities of the box..
In my previous post i was stating my requirements.. just so who ever replies to which type of box might be suitable for me.

Why not get a second hand Sky+ box from fleabay or similar and get Sky to pair the card to it.. That'll get you up and running again long enough to think about what DB you might want to purchase, and gives you a receiver you can watch some telly on when you want a break from the swearing at a linux box!

BTW - is your SKy+ box a Thomson by any chance?.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Rather than eBay you could buy a recon unit, think I paid £65 for one, and it was spot on, next day del with a 3 month warranty. It was a hd+ model. Rather than post where I got it from, as that would be advertising, pm me if you want the details.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Robbo said:
...pm me if you want the details.
Ghost is too new to the forum to have PM privileges yet. I suggest that if ghost IS interested that he posts here that he is and then Admins can take any decision needed.

ghost32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hemel Hempstead
thanks for all the replies... i'm trying to source a HD+ model now. can get it for £40 500gb

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
the diffrence between SKy box is that u will never loose access for your card using dreambox u will for usre loose your access 4 short period coz Mr Kangaroo is top1 hater of dreamboxes and will do eveyrthing last actions with Sky Italy was exactly reason. About receiver using Dm8000 u can buy even quad LNB and use 4 dvb-s2 heads and record in same where original sky box will not do :) diffrences? prize of box :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Eh? Your first sentence makes almost no sense whatsoever!

A nonymous

Reaction score
Nah i couldn't understand it either.

Any chance you can post in English please?????

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Allow me
Big-Apple said:
the diffrence between SKy box is that u will never loose access for your card using dreambox u will for usre loose your access 4 short period coz Mr Kangaroo is top1 hater of dreamboxes and will do eveyrthing last actions with Sky Italy was exactly reason.
The difference between [a Dreambox and a] $ly box is that you will never lose access for your card [when] using a $ly box. Using a Dreambox you will for sure lose your access for short periods because Rupert Murdoch (Mr Kangaroo!) is a hater of Dreamboxes and will do everything [to make using them difficult]. Last action with $ly Italy was exactly [for this] reason.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Mr Kangaroo mudt be a reference to Murdoch but beyond that :confused

A nonymous

Reaction score
Its complete swablock what hes saying anyway :-lmao

If the box is set up properly with the right emu it souldn't be a problem.

The Sky card updates no bother in a Dreambox :D

Even if it does go off it will only be a matter of days before its back on, just like when they tried to stop Sky Italia.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Having just read this thread in its entirety I think somebody needs to feed the mamsters :-mamsterquick

Talks

Reaction score
Hi guys
On two posts here i have seen that when you change the sky+HD box you ring up sky to pair the card to the box, this is not really the case here, only a last resort if you cannot pair the box to the card.
Here is a very simple way of pairing and may be of some good use to a few members.

How to activate your card

Using your Sky remote control, press the service button. You then need to press the right arrow once to go to the settings tab. Now, press select and the picture option will be selected.
Using your keypad, type 0 then 1 and then press select.
The set-up tab should now be highlighted. Press 6 on your keypad to go to install (this will change to new install once selected) and press select.
Simply follow the on-screen instructions until the message installation complete is displayed and then press select to continue.

Your viewing card has now been activated! In some instances it may take up to four hours for your subscription channels to appear.

To confirm the viewing card has been successfully activated please turn to channel a channel that you subscribe to, for example, Sky Sports, where you should be able to see the program.

I have used this method on a few occasions and it does work my card has paired up to a used box from flee bay and i have also tried the same method with other sky uk cards having found that they will pair up the the box if you use the simple way shown above and then leave the card in the slot for 24hrs. works every time and no need to phone sky uk.

Regards Talks.

Talks

Reaction score
Seems my post was not accepted, no idea why??... I guess it is pointless me posting.

regards Talks.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Talks said:
Seems my post was not accepted, no idea why??... I guess it is pointless me posting.

regards Talks.

As a Member with very few Posts, they go into a Moderation queue and are released to the Forum when approved.

This is a measure which helps prevent much unwanted and unpleasant material appearing on open Forum.

Once a reasonable number of quality Posts have been made, clearly there is (generally) no further need for Moderation.

How long it takes for a queued Post to be authorised depends upon when any volunteer Staff happen to be logged in.

It would help us if you could state a location in your Profile as this can facilitate proper comprehension of many Satellite related Posts - the meanings of statements and answers can be (and often are) different depending upon the location in question.

Your IP address suggests UK, possibly West Midlands >> So the method for Card Pairing you describe is only relevant to those with boxes connected to a UK phone line. It cannot be implemented by a great many of our non-UK resident BSkyB users.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Please dont be offended that your posts are auto moderated. It happens to all members with few posts.

As a popular forum we are targeted by spammers every day - and some of the stuff that gets filtered out is most definitely not suitable for a family forum like ours - believe me some of it it downright unpleasant.

There is normally one or more of the staff around during the day (UK time) - at least one of the mods is retired and can cover for when the majority of the staff are out working.

Of course there are times when no-one is around and it might take a couple of hours for a post to be approved, but rest assured that once you have made a few more posts the restriction on your account will disappear automagically :)