Video Compression on DM800

B0nz0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 HD PVR with sky dish pointed a 28.2E
My Location
North East
I work in West Africa and I would like to watch selected programs from UK TV so I bought a clone dm800 HD PVR. The internet out here is extremely slooooow so streaming is out of the question. The plan was to record programs on the Dreambox in UK then FTP the files to my PC here in West Africa.

The problem is that the .TS file from a 30 minute program is about 1.2Gb and takes around 15 hours to send here (I told you it is a slow connection). After I received one of these files I tried converting it to MKV, this was successful and resulted in a file of about 250Mb with still an acceptable picture quality.

My question is how do I perform this conversion/compression on the Dreambox so I can receive the resultant smaller MKV file? The process would need to be automatic or at least controllable over the internet. Is there any software that can do this for me?

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
I don't think it's possible to compress video on the DM800 but if you can leave a computer running in the UK connected to the same network as the dreambox, then remote desktop into that, perform the conversion, then transfer the file?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yeah thats the way I would do it as well.

B0nz0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East
Thanks for the replies. Leaving a computer running was the only way I could think of, but as I'm away for about 3 months at a time it's not an ideal solution. I'll keep looking, thanks again for your input.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
For individual programmes you could get a UK based VPN and download progs off the BBCi Player ITV Player etc. No idea what the file sizes are though as I dont use it.

B0nz0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East
Thanks, Analoguesat. That's one approach I hadn't thought of. I'll be home in about a month, I'll see what I can set up then.