Advice Needed Visiosat Big Bisat dish?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Don't really understand why they skimp on the nuts and bolts - hardly the most expensive part of the kit...
Engineers don't run manufacturers, bean counters do :)

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Well it turns out that one of the bolts that fixes the back mount to the dish is missing. Have contacted Cahor's about it but not heard anything. Anyone know where i can get one or will just three bolts do?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
one of the bolts that fixes the back mount to the dish is missing.
Can you measure one of the bolts that are not missing? The missing one should be the same.

Anyone know where i can get one or will just three bolts do?
And when you know what kind of bolt you need just go to any shop (like Bricco, Gamma, Home Depot, Depo, Macro or any UK analog) that sells nuts&bolts and buy 2 (in case another one get lost) :rolleyes:

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
The markings on the bolt says BVS 8.8. The entire bolt measures 1 inch. The screw thread is 1.5cm long. screw bit is 7mm in diameter. Will probably have to visit a hardware store to get one. Hoping Cahor will save me the bother. This bolt did not go missing, the bag was sealed. They just didn't add it.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Can not be 7mm! It is surely 8mm. Show some picture from 3 screws you got

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
It is not about vision, it is about standards, where we have .....6mm, 8mm, 10mm,12mm...... threads

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Anyone know where i can get one or will just three bolts do?

No don't fix it with three bolts it could warp the corner in strong winds without the bolt, Rimants will guide you in the right direction to finding one :)

A

archive10

The markings on the bolt says BVS 8.8. The entire bolt measures 1 inch. The screw thread is 1.5cm long. screw bit is 7mm in diameter. Will probably have to visit a hardware store to get one. Hoping Cahor will save me the bother. This bolt did not go missing, the bag was sealed. They just didn't add it.
As RimaNTSS says, it's an 8 mm job. There isn't that much too choose from: 6, 8, 10, 12 etc.
It is really quite simple: pop down to the store of your choice (as outlined), bring one of the other bolts, and compare the length to get the right one.
I get mine from Bauhaus, they come in loose weight so you can literally by one. Don't need 100 pack or anything like that.
And you should get the INOX ones, in case they have several of the same size to choose from.
That's it... Mount the dish.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I get mine from Bauhaus

I am using a place local to me, tbh only recently is one of my first experience of buying them, the chap is very helpful and will go that extra mile if your trying to explain what you want.

They do have a very vast variety and might be able to help someone at some point.

http://www.ukfixings.net/Bolts/

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
As RimaNTSS says, it's an 8 mm job. There isn't that much too choose from: 6, 8, 10, 12 etc.
It is really quite simple: pop down to the store of your choice (as outlined), bring one of the other bolts, and compare the length to get the right one.
I get mine from Bauhaus, they come in loose weight so you can literally by one. Don't need 100 pack or anything like that.
And you should get the INOX ones, in case they have several of the same size to choose from.
That's it... Mount the dish.

I will probably take one to the store and ask someone if they have one.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Had another look and it seems I may not be missing a bolt after all. There are two kinds of bolt that could fit. The bolt I thought was missing had a sort of square bit that wasn't threaded and another bolt that has a washer attached that I can not seem to remove from. I think it is the later bolt that attaches the mount to the dish, there are four of these bolts.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Doesn't seem like Cahor is interested anyway. Had no emails, no post from them. Think they ignored me.

I wish the instruction booklet supplied was clearer.

Am also bored, tired and trying to stay awake as long as possible(been awake nearly 22 hours).

Last edited: