VU+ Duo, Quick review.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
....I've done a post on the Vix board about blind search to try to get a bit more info.

Huevos,

Thank you for the info and the help.

If the blind search is fixed and working correctly then this receiver meets most of my requirements, the only thing that I can think of that is probably missing is the ability to decode 4.2.2 feeds.

Regards
moonbase

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moonbase said:
If the blind search is fixed and working correctly then this receiver meets most of my requirements, the only thing that I can think of that is probably missing is the ability to decode 4.2.2 feeds.
Blind search was never broken. It was always a hardware feature waiting for the correct software. Lots of receivers seem to be released that way these days, (Ethernet ports that serve no purpose and so on).

4:2:2 is no problem. Just stream to the laptop, use VLC as the viewer, and then plug the laptop in to the TV via HDMI. If you don't have HDMI on the laptop there are USB2.0 to HDMI converters. I do this all the time with the Duo for watching 4:2:2 feeds. Anyway the number of 4:2:2 feeds is dropping now as a lot of feeds are MPEG4. Anyway I'm off to watch my favourite feed on 12.5ºW now.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Going back to the Vu+ Duo, is anybody using this receiver for multi satellite use but using another box to move the dish?

An example would be to use an old Echostar AD3600 to move a dish using a 36v motor such as a Jaeger 1224 but then using the Vu+ Duo for viewing and other functionality.

Regards
moonbase

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moonbase said:
Going back to the Vu+ Duo, is anybody using this receiver for multi satellite use but using another box to move the dish?

An example would be to use an old Echostar AD3600 to move a dish using a 36v motor such as a Jaeger 1224 but then using the Vu+ Duo for viewing and other functionality.

Regards
moonbase
Yes, well sort of. I recently changed from a 1224 to an actuator so and I haven't got round to entering the positions yet. So the Vu+ Duo selects the correct LNB (DiSEqC 1.0 & 1.1) and I move the dish manually using the V-box when necessary (my main satellites are on fixed dishes).

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
Yes, well sort of. I recently changed from a 1224 to an actuator so and I haven't got round to entering the positions yet. So the Vu+ Duo selects the correct LNB (DiSEqC 1.0 & 1.1) and I move the dish manually using the V-box when necessary (my main satellites are on fixed dishes).

Huevos,

Thanks for the reply and the info.

Reading the description of your setup it does not quite the same. Please correct me if I am wrong but I read it that you are still using the Vu+ Duo Diseqc to control the vbox which in turn controls the actuator?

The setup I hope to be able to get to work is to have the dish moved by a 36v output positioner without vbox or diseqc and this box is external to the Vu+ Duo then view different channels and transponders using the Vu+ Duo. Or to put it another way, can the diseqc dish moving option of the Vu+ Duo be disabled but still allow the user to select a satellite and transponder from the menus without the Vu+ Duo attempting to move the dish?

Regards
moonbase

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moonbase said:
Reading the description of your setup it does not quite the same. Please correct me if I am wrong but I read it that you are still using the Vu+ Duo Diseqc to control the vbox which in turn controls the actuator?
Not right now. The V-box is not connected to the co-ax line at the moment, so I am manually controlling the actuator with the V-box just as you would be with the Echostar.

The Vu+ tuner config is fully customisable. It can address up to 32 LNBs per tuner, using any of the 64 possible DiSEqC 1.0/1.1 combinations, in whatever order you choose. And motor control is also customisable, with a choice of "none", DiSEqC 1.2, or USALS, on a satellite by satellite basis (so you could just switch it off on all satellites if you wanted).

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
..........so you could just switch it off on all satellites if you wanted).

Huevos,

Thank you, that is what I was hoping to find out. I can switch off motor control on all satellites and use an external positioner then go back to the Vu+ Duo for viewing.

Regards
moonbase

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Is there a way to make the VU+ record from Tuner A unless it has to use B? Or will I need to swap the wires round so I can watch other sats while Sky is recording?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
fergyc said:
Is there a way to make the VU+ record from Tuner A unless it has to use B? Or will I need to swap the wires round so I can watch other sats while Sky is recording?
What sort of recording? Timer or immediate? Is the Sky dish on tuner B? Anyway it is pretty easy. All you have to do is tie up tuner A with another task before the recording starts. Like if you are already watching something on tuner A the recording will be done by tuner B. Another way would be go to a channel on a different transponder from the one you want to record and then start the recording via the EPG. If you are recording from standby the recording will be done by tuner A. To stop this don't put the box in standby. Instead leave it watching a different transponder.

Ideal though is put another motorised dish on tuner B.

BTW there is a "preferred tuner" in the box setup but all changing that is going to do is reverse the situation; the problem will still exist, just the other way around.

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
4 Ps3's Two slim and two phat (original 60gig version)
My Location
London
Huevos, i like you. facts and to the point.

I take it, you still rate the Vu+Duo.

After years of ignoring my dads intereses, I've decided to do all that i can. (every thing italian off hotbird)
Satisfying my own interests on the ps3 scene, is selfish.

After 3 days or 4 days of surfing, taking in the jargon, things are starting to clear and make sense.

Even tho the Vu+duo doesn't seem to be common, it does repeatably show up in various threads.

I was going in a technomate direction, as my dad has TM1000. I wanted to follow in it's foot steps.

Now i wound be more inclined to move in the Vu+Duo direction. (among other features a like the slightly beefer processor)

I need to investigate how blind search affects me.

Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
profixit said:
It only affects you if you are a feed hunter, not for general viewing. And anyway if you are going to feed hunt you will need an aerial system that is able to receive from the satellites that carry the feeds.

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
My Location
London
Thanks Huevos.
Feed hunting I'll find out if I'm interested in this. Others wise i don't mind entering specifics.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
profixit said:
After years of ignoring my dads intereses, I've decided to do all that i can. (every thing italian off hotbird)

I was going in a technomate direction, as my dad has TM1000. I wanted to follow in it's foot steps.

Now i wound be more inclined to move in the Vu+Duo direction. (among other features a like the slightly beefer processor)

Would you have any suggestions?

Start small on the inside and large on the outside.

Spending the money on the dish will allow you to get far more in the future. Don't forget there are Italian channels on other satellites as well so I would (of course) recommend a motorised system.

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
My Location
London
Thanks Channel Hopper.

I wouldn't want to exhaust my thirst for knowledge or maybe I'm greedy. i want something i can play with for years.

But seriously i want to set a budget, I have £300(has doubled in the last few days, did want a TM5402) and invest it wisely

Got my eyes on a VU+Duo for the price a mentioned.

As for dishes, i have a few, two wall mounted, one fixed, sly install, one conventional motorized 1.2m(finlux days) and one about 80cm lying around.

Motors have really changed for the better, being able to control it through the coax, no sat boxes directly power the motor, sick.

Part of me wants to hold out for the new VU+Uno and VU+Ultimo. however it blows my Budget.

I think the VU+duo is good place to start.

Thanks for the support

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
My Location
London
I am now the proud owner of a VU+Duo, £290. I'd love to know the mark up on these, got be £30 at lest.
Didn't come with a UK plug. The seller was legit. Brand new boxed.
Let the games begin.
Going to give it a few days with the stock firmware and wait for a new image to surface.
Hope i made a good decision.

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
My Location
London
I'm breathing a bit of life in to my dads TM1000, with phantom and latest softcam.keys.(using the loader) I'm trying to understand how to enter keys using the remote. As there's a few channels i want. I understand how to edit. It's having the relevant keys and where to put them. Every key i look at doesn't seem to fit.

looks like I'll be having this VU+Duo in my possession, until i know it well. i really need to set up my dishes, looking at getting a few LNB's and A TM2600 Motor.

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
My Location
London
May get a VBOX, not much price difference between a VBOX and a DiSEqC Motor. Only saves on disturbing the old Setup. Humm.

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
My Location
London
I'm amazed that Dreambox and Vu+ Duo have quite a bit in common, in terms of apps. Enigma2, Dreambox creation?

I'll stick with my 36v motor. Don't really want to disturb brackets and it would make the motor redundant. best to recycle.

Huevos, you speak quite highly of them (Vbox)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
profixit said:
Huevos, you speak quite highly of them (Vbox)
If you are getting a V-box I would go for a Clarke-Tech. You get twice the resolution of all other V-boxes (it must count the high-side and low-side pulse).

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
My Location
London
13v and 18v Pulse's, from what I'm reading most of then seem to respond to these pulses. The Clarke-tech "looks" the best.

Was thinking Technomate Mk111 VBox.

The Clarke-Tech i looked at were bit cheaper then the technomate, maybe price has nothing to do with it.

Thanks you for bringing it to my attention.

You've got to love the koreans, the ability to copy and innovate at the same time. I've all ways been surprised by there tech.

I haven't even plugged my VU+ Duo in yet. Tonight's the night. Won't bother with stock FW, Maybe for initial turn on.

I'll hook it up to Sly dish and see what performance is like.