Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Blackhole is based on the official version, of the VU+ image, which VU+ receivers usually come with, the latest version being 3.1.0
BlackHole 3.1.0 Multistream

What is new ?

• Add Duo4K SE Support
  • Various bug fixed and tweaks in the background
Open images, like Open Black Hole, and OpenVIX, have more input from outside developers. For a relative beginner, with Enigma 2 receivers, it is easier to set up.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
98cm motorised technomate. 50e to 34.5w
My Location
Europe
I’ll probably give that a go tomorrow. I picked OpenATV because it had a bit more documentation online but it doesn’t seem to have helped me!

can it be changed through the command line, or do I need to do it through USB?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
You need to flash the image, onto your receiver, using a FAT 32 formatted USB stick.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Ok, I’ll hopefully be able to give that a go tomorrow. I’m not bothered about losing the stuff I have so far; it’s only been used for a day.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Good luck - I never got my head around what I found to be a totally illogical E2 operating system - I cheerfully threw the E2 receivers into the skip down at the local recycling centre! The disecq setup was completely bonkers on the bloody things. I will never have another E2 receiver even if its reckoned to be the dogs danglies.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
You know, I read your comments while doing my research and I naively thought “how bad could it be?”
As I said, the things that the box can do are amazing. But the fact that the simple things can be so ridiculously difficult is incredible. My £50 box took minutes to set up with the motorised dish. I bought this to have better channel sorting, streaming and flexibility, which it certainly will have, but I had at least hoped that would be the only complicated bit.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The E2 software is dreadful. The E1 on the original SD only dreambox I had want too bad once you got your head around it, but the designers really f***** up with the ergonomics with E2. I could set the 16 way disecq switch up on the Technomate in a few minutes. I spent the best part of a day fighting the settings on the E2 box and didnt get anywhere with it. You have probably seen my comments along the lines of "I spent most of the time wanting to take the E2 box outside & beat the cr&p out of it with a very large lump hammer" :D

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I’m quite excited about the whizzy things it can do. I just need to spend all my time off setting it up it seems! But yes, this morning I was ready to launch it out the window.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
It's not too difficult, to get the main parts working. I have everything I currently want, on satellite, and the option of downloading, (recording), streams, to my internal hard drive, from KODI.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Ok, so I have set up Blackhole. When I opened it up, I can get an EPG just like yours, so that's a success. Though for some reason it's not the default. I need to press a bunch of buttons to get to it. The default EPGs, of which there are three, are pretty useless. Is there a way to change the default to the one that allows changing the satellite?

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Good luck - I never got my head around what I found to be a totally illogical E2 operating system - I cheerfully threw the E2 receivers into the skip down at the local recycling centre! The disecq setup was completely bonkers on the bloody things. I will never have another E2 receiver even if its reckoned to be the dogs danglies.
Fair enough but what is better than an E2 setup?

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I have to say I'm surprised so far at how slow sat scanning is. My Edision was faster than this box.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I'm not sure what you're trying to do.
Have you set up any Bouquets yet, and added channels to them? To manually make a bouquet, bring up your channel list, press the Blue button, for favourites, then the menu button, and start making some Bouquets. I ten to do this by satellite, so for 19.2E I have 3 bouquets, titled, 19.2E Movistar, 19.2E Sky Germany, 19.2E Sports, and similar Bouquets for all other satellites, with my most viewed channels in them.
Then you can quickly flip, though your bouquets, without moving satellite, by bringing up your channel list, then pressing the up/down options on you channel change buttons. If you've visited the satellite, and transponders, recently a quick EPG option should be available, by scrolling to a channel and pressing the EPG button, you can also scroll down the EPG guide, press EPG again and get the available description, of the upcoming programs.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I haven't set up the favourites yet, I'm just a bit surprised that it takes so many clicks to get to an all channels list. Setting up my favourites list should make it easier.

But thanks for recommending Blackhole, it definitely seems that bit more user-friendly.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I use Open Black Hole, which is more like OpenVIX, but when I started I used Blackhole, as it is probably the easiest, but it's only for VU+ receivers.
Without using a PC, and channel editor, it will take some time.

Have you fitted a hard drive yet, in the caddy?
Have you checked the other multistream channels yet?

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
There is a hard drive fitted. The Italian multistreams on 5W work perfectly. Just the French ones don't scan at all. It's as if there's no signal, but every other TP is working fine.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Have you checked the transponder details, and tried scanning them in manually?
Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-5-West-B.html

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Yes, it gives a 0% signal and completes the scan without finding anything.

Now I'm facing a different issue. I successfully did a scan of the whole arc, and now have channels in lists just like I want. However, the dish will not move when I change channels. It just moved perfectly fine while scanning, but changing channels is just flashing the "dish moving" symbol on the screen but nothing happens. This happened on-and-off yesterday too. It doesn't seem to consistently move the dish. So now I'm stuck on 45E because that was the last bird scanned.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Check your connections, I'd re-do my F connectors, at both ends, if possible, but definitely at the receivers end.
Do you have two cables, from a twin output LNB?
Which tuner do you have connected to your motor, try connecting to the second tuner?
Have you set up a default tuner option, in the menu?

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
When I reboot, the motor will move to the correct location when it turns back on, but if I change the channel again it doesn't move the motor.
I only have one cable from the twin output LNB. It looks like it is connected to tuner B, though I don't see the option to set the default in the menu. I've just changed the cable to the other input, but now the dish won't move at all. Even in the fine tuning settings it doesn't seem to be communicating with the dish.
It will be the receiver's issue because my Edision didn't have this problem yesterday.

I really appreciate your help and patience with me! I thought I'd cracked it there, as the channel list is exactly what I'm looking for, but now I've got this tech issue.

EDIT: When I control the receiver with the web interface, the dish does move. It's getting very confusing now!

Last edited: