vu+ solo2

Robinson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish 45E - 30W, Clarke-Tech ET9000
My Location
Poland
Thanks digi247.
I know Transcoding is available in BH because I installed BH but I miss OpenPLi, so I would rather use an OpenPLi-based image such as VIX is, as far as I can understand. Therefore I would like to know if Transcoding plugin is available as standard on VIX. Anyone using VIX can check, please?
Also, sometimes I would like to watch a TV event when I am somewhere else (at work?) on a computer/laptop. My internet upload is too small to cope with that and this is why I would need Transcoding.

And one more thing.
I don't understand why something done in software (not hardware) cannot be customizable. I understand someone has written a set of instructions for transcoding to work. I assume the instructions (software) could be written differently so that it allows at least 3 settings, eg. 300 kbit/s, 800 kbit/s, 1800 kbit/s.

hdp160

Reaction score
I'm using OpenPLi..........( I've run PLi for years on my old Dreambox.)

It works great and does everything I want.

Robinson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Poland
I'm using OpenPLi..........( I've run PLi for years on my old Dreambox.)

It works great and does everything I want.
OK, what about Transcoding? Does it work on OpenPLi and did you install the plugin separately?

hdp160

Reaction score
Ummm.... Straight after a reflash I had my doubts. OpenWebIf stuttered. But I posted a few questions. No conclusive answers so I went back to basics reflashed rescanned Etc and wow it was all there.
This was with the basic OpenPli release NO additional plugins were installed.

I had no problems with my Dreambox and I now I "DON'T" seem to be have a problem with the VU+ Solo2.

I'm very impressed with it............ this week DrDish (The german channel) had a brief comparison of the 7020 and the Solo2 and they edged for the Solo2 because of the higher/current specifications.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I don't understand why something done in software (not hardware) cannot be customizable. I understand someone has written a set of instructions for transcoding to work. I assume the instructions (software) could be written differently so that it allows at least 3 settings, eg. 300 kbit/s, 800 kbit/s, 1800 kbit/s.
All depends. The hardware needs to be able to operate at those settings, and also it needs to be part of the open source code for mere mortals to be able to modify it. Things like the drivers are closed source so only Vu themselves can modify those.

Robinson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Poland
Ummm.... Straight after a reflash I had my doubts. OpenWebIf stuttered. But I posted a few questions. No conclusive answers so I went back to basics reflashed rescanned Etc and wow it was all there.
This was with the basic OpenPli release NO additional plugins were installed.
You did not clearly say if you have TranscodingSetup plugin on your OpenPli on Solo2. If so, when is your image from and does transcoding work?

hdp160

Reaction score
You did not clearly say if you have TranscodingSetup plugin on your OpenPli on Solo2. If so, when is your image from and does transcoding work?

I have only the OpenPLi 3.0 beta installed (updated as and when a newer version comes up.) (With no additional transcoding plugins.)
I watch streamed TV over my internal LAN everyday with no problems.
I have no need to stream over the internet

Robinson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Poland
OK, that explains it.
I don't need transcoding on a regular basis but it may be useful occasionally when I want to watch something when I'm away.
BlackHole image includes this plugin but I don't like the image.
I may have to try OpenVIX before OpenPLi finally decide to include it.