What was wrong with the Betamax format?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
There are plenty of alternatives to YouTube

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
Yap you're absolutely right, you can say that again. However, not for archiving, at least for me, I like archiving things and materials worth archiving. Quality and space means a lot for me. I have over 3 or 4 hundreds CDs and 6 or 7 hundreds of DVDs and they are growing day by day. After a month, I think my archive will be over a thousand, as I’m a freak of picture and music.

Arbi.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Sounds like you should invest in a file server with a few terabytes of hard drive space, saves having all that plastic wasted as it's stored (and cheap recordable CDs and DVDs aren't that reliable either, and can deteriorate rendering the archived files useless), and gives you instant access to your files without having to sort through discs... :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
d122k7trb said:
Yap you're absolutely right, you can say that again. However, not for archiving, at least for me, I like archiving things and materials worth archiving. Quality and space means a lot for me.

I don't understand. Plenty of other sites are out there that you can download from, and many of them are equal to , or exceed the quality offered by YouTube.

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Wasn't VHS a cheaper format?

As to B&W Doctor Who episodes from the 60s these were broadcasted from 2" 405 line videotape. Telerecordings of these episodes were made from these sources. Usually a few months after broadcast the video tape would be wiped for reuse leaving only the telerecordings for overseas sales. Overseas broadcasters were told to either return them or destroy then after their broadcast rights had expired. Some escaped this fate which is why some episodes have survived.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
daro2096 said:
Wasn't VHS a cheaper format?

Yep, both in build and performance, comparing Beta and VHS machines of the same era really shows up VHS as being the poorer format, the Betamax recordings are much sharper and higher definition (well, in terms of 625-line stuff!!!), not to mention there's no colour bleed due to the unique way the Beta format worked... :)

Sadly though, the cheaper VHS won over the public by being cheaper to buy, I guess quality didn't matter back then as much as it does now, but, sony have fought back and returned us to the beta ways with their Blu-Ray technology... :)

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
As for saying something to gain some results in this thread.

1) Better considering the countries where we've born and are living now.
2) The facilities we have had at that time and now.
3) The exchange of currency.
4) I have loads of VHS tapes and Cassettes that I'd like to get rid of them. Sell them or throwing them into the bin.
5) Now I'm buying CD's and DVDs as the normal people do.
6) I hate downloading 'coz I've to waste lots of time to surf and then download it. Our internet speed is not what seems to be in the globe 7mbps or above
7) I’ll prefer buying original CDs and DVDs instead of youtube or other sites. Sometimes I download a piece of clip or music to know what the group’s all about and then buying the original ones.

Arbi.