What was wrong with the Betamax format?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Just thought I'd drag this up cos I'm bored... :D

I still want to get myself an SL-F1UB and TT-F1UB (the tuner), they look beautiful, and the VCR half is portable, if you can get a new battery for it that is!!! I'd love to hook up a Betamax recorder to a modern DVB-S box and record modern TV onto the old format, and I thought that maybey even have a VHS VCR hooked up at the same time to compare the two afterwards (modernish VCR vs. Betamax, who'll win? ;) ), and if the kit came with the camera too I could have alsorts of fun*.... :D

*not in the way you're thinking you dirty perve!!! :p

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
:D :D :D :D

Sony SL-F1UB, TT-F1UB, AC-F1UB, BCP-220, HVC-2000 or 4000, HVR-320, Batteries (condition unsure), and a Ferguson VHS version, colour monitor/TV and a couple of chargers (for the VHS I guess), all mine for £65... :D :D :D

I'll just translate the model numbers...

SL-F1UB - The Betamax VCR with Sony K-Type camera input.
TT-F1UB - The Tuner & Timer unit for the main VCR, also powers the SL unit via a loop-through.
AC-F1UB - The battery charger & PSU in one unit, for both the TT and SL units (aswell as the PCM-F1UB if I can ever find one)
BCP-220 - A 4-battery compartment for powering the TT & SL units aswell as the camera.
HVC-2000/4000 - Sony's Trinicon colour camera, unsure of the difference between the models.
HVR-320 - A Pan/Tilt mount for the camera (may fit other cameras, but I don't know as yet).

The other bits, I don't know as I've never seen them before, especially the Ferguson SL-F1UB-styled portable VHS recorder & tuner units, all I can see in the photos of the Fergy is "Videostar", but I've had about 3 different types of top-loader Fergy Videostar VCRs, so that's a bit generic, but once I have the kit I'll be showing them all off... :D

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I've given you a thanks for that. Frankly you're sad but I do understand ;)

:D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leee said:
I've given you a thanks for that. Frankly you're sad but I do understand ;)

:D

Well, Betamaxers tend to be called names, but it's only cos they're a bit "backwards" in the head.... :p

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Seeing how the listing finally got cancelled (new users are so easy to buy from with offers!!!) here's the number:

ebay 320099636517

But once the 90 days are up, it'll be gone so I'll nab the pics now... :D

Here's the Betamax lot (Max. 7 pics allowed per post.... :():

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
And, not as vitally important but I'll include them as it's all one big lot, the other stuff:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
Seeing how the listing finally got cancelled (new users are so easy to buy from with offers!!!) here's the number:

ebay 320099636517

But once the 90 days are up, it'll be gone so I'll nab the pics now... :D

Here's the Betamax lot (Max. 7 pics allowed per post.... :():

Hmmm. sold all those a while ago, except the camera and tripod.
Still in the garage somewhere along with a lot of cine projection stuff and a Magnon SD-817M (Magsound - with sound), but I think it was in a suitcase that ended up under the car.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
And now i own a Sony Blu-ray player i imported from USA.

Very fine piece of machine.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Likvid said:

I didn't know they played magnetic tape ?
:-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Likvid said:

If it's not Betamax, it ain't coming in... O-no

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Hmmm. sold all those a while ago, except the camera and tripod.
Still in the garage somewhere along with a lot of cine projection stuff and a Magnon SD-817M (Magsound - with sound), but I think it was in a suitcase that ended up under the car.

You sold them but they're still in the garage??? :confused

Anyways, I do like the SL-F1UB kit, it's very compact (well, the camera's not!!)... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Here's a clever american (hmm, there's two words you don't often see together!!! :-rofl2 ) advert on the US version of the SL-F1, the SL-2000 (same thing really, just the american ones had 2 or 3 speeds for their NTSC system)... :D

[tube]S8WtvfhtXzI[/tube]

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I just found a PCM-F1 unit on eBay, based in Köln, I wish I had the money to buy it!!! They can record CD-quality sound onto Betamax tapes, something VHS has never had (as far as I'm aware), making it far superior to anything leading up to DVD's!!! :eek:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just won a pair of Sony Betamovie BMC-500's on ebay, spares/repairs though, but I still want them!!! :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I got my two Betamovie cameras this morning, and one still had a tape & battery in it!!! :D

Just need to try and get one powered to see if they work, but I need a 9.6V power supply (9 to 10v I'm sure is ok!!), but with a reversed polarity than is standard (Barrel plug with the pin being negative and the outer tube as positive), I may have blown the fuse which protects the camera(s), but fault that may only be linked to the BMC-100, but I haven't checked the fuse yet... :D

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
I got my two Betamovie cameras this morning, and one still had a tape & battery in it!!! :D

A lot were used within the UK home mature content industry, so you may have a neighbour in there. : Humping

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
A lot were used within the UK home mature content industry, so you may have a neighbour in there. : Humping

Well if it was used to film one of my neighbours then it'd be illegal!!! :eek:

Anyway, I can't seem to get the repairs one to work properly, it doesn't want to power up, I can get it to power up but it doesn't work properly, so I'm a bit stuck... :confused

Anyway, the kit I bought is on it's way (the one in all the pictures I posted), so I'll be playing with that as soon as I get it... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
There were some old 80's home videos on that tape including thier yachting holiday (must have been rich people!!!), but the colours were amazing compared to VHS (this is actually the first time I've ever watched a Betamax tape (that I can remember!!!))!!! :D

But anyway, everything arrived, and unsurprisingly, the VHS recorder doesn't work properly!!!:-rofl2

The Sony Betamax VCR works perfectly though, as does the camera, but there's no batteries for it though, plenty of batteries for the VHS recorder though... :eek:

But I'm playing with the kit for as long as I can, whilst trying to see what's up with the VHS recorder (probably nackered belts)... :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Blue Ray is the new Betamax then?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Saturlight said:
Blue Ray is the new Betamax then?

Probably, a higher quality product that will fail due to people not being that fussed about having superior image quality.... :D