iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
technomate 6900,,and invacom 0.3 quad lnb
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
hi if a meter has a MER calculation/value has been added function what does it mean plz thanks iwol

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
Modulation Error rate, its the measurement of modulation distortion very long winded to explain dont know if i can lol, basically the more MER the better.

Plz feel to correct me if i'm wrong but i believe 20db Mer is the threshold 24db or more is ideal

Poor Mer quality can give rise to corruption making the signal unstable.

I went on an understanding Digital signals course and the chap who took it was struggling to put it in laymens terms and thats his job so i wont try lol

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
kenny1234 said:
Modulation Error rate, its the measurement of modulation distortion very long winded to explain dont know if i can lol, basically the more MER the better.

There is a Modulation Error Ratio rather than rate

_http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3652

The modulation error ratio (MER) is a measure of the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) in a digitally modulated signal. Like SNR, MER is usually expressed in decibels (d:cool:. MER over number of symbols, N is defined as:
where
is the I component of the j-th symbol received
is the Q component of the j-th symbol received
is the ideal I component of the j-th symbol received and
is the ideal Q component of the j-th symbol received.

Attachments

• mer.gif
    mer.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 58

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Same here, the training course on the meter covered it, but they were hard pushed to explain exactly what it was, apart from being a combined measurement. It is however a nice measure for dish alignment, as if this measurement is good, then the rest tend to fall into place.:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I always look at MER simply as a digital CNR (C/N) measurement and will vary on what is being measured :D

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
thanks guys im even more confused now :-)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
iwol said:
thanks guys im even more confused now :-)

Just wait until you need to know about Eb/No :-rofl2

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
im not even asking:-)

patmos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
STRONG SRT-4910+,SunRay4HDse,TBS5922, 2.4M P.F Apstar7(76.5 DEGE), 120cm dish PAS 10 Ku( 68.5 DEGE),3.0M Mesh Motorised dish on arc (AM44 (11DEGW) to AM33(96.5 DEGE),150 cm dish W3C(16 DeG E)+ side LNB Ew2A(10 DEGE),90cm W4/W7 (36 DEGE)
My Location
Mauritius
Thank you guys for the definition of MER. I could find its definition on the web.I see that most meter sold will boast that they can measure this unit. I work in a Earth Station and what we checked is the Eb/No,C/N and BER. This term is never used.

black22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Beetel SD 95, Airtel STB, 6 ft mounted Dish, Quad LNB, & Pll lnb, 1GB USB TV Tuner card, Grabster Terratec Av250, Rover Fast S2 and Rover Examiner HDTV
My Location
India
QAM MER — Modulation Error Ratio

The modulation error is a calculated quantity indicating the mean or the maximum deviation of the I/Q values from ideal signal states and thus provides a measure of signal quality.

The following diagram shows the vectors used for calculating the modulation error:

The modulation error is specified as rms and as peak value. To calculate the modulation error, all decisions fields are investigated on after the other.

To obtain peak modulation error, the maximum magnitude of the difference vector (error vector) formed by the vector of the ideal and the actual signal status is determined for each decision field. From the maximum value of these results, the peak MER (modulation error ratio) is calculated using the following formula:

To obtain the rms modulation error, the squares of the magnitude of all differential vectors formed by the ideal-status and actual-status vectors are added up, and the number of symbols is counted. Then the rms modulation error is calculated as follows:

The peak and rms modulation error can also be specified on a logarithmic scale. Conversion is done using the following formula:

For quantized I/Q values, the peak value is output in discrete form only since no averaging is performed in the calculation. The rms modulation error can be calculated within the limit values specified in the following table. The limit values are obtained for quantized I/Q values:

Orderof QAM , MERRMS min, MERPK min, MERPK min , MERdB min

4 , 0.5 % 1.563 % 98.44 % 46 dB

16 , 0.5 % 1.398 % 43.32 % 46 dB

32 , 0.7 % 1.976 % 29.33 % 43 dB

64 , 0.5 % 1.364 % 20.46 % 46 dB

128 , 0.7 % 1.952 % 13.66 % 43 dB

256 , 0.5 % 1.356 % 9.471 % 46 dB

Attached herewith the Vector diagram and Formulas to calculate the MER.:)

Attachments

• Vectors.jpg
    Vectors.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 59
  • MER formula_1.JPG
    MER formula_1.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 61
  • MER Formula_2.jpg
    MER Formula_2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 55
  • MER Formula_3.JPG
    MER Formula_3.JPG