Where do they keep the biggest record collection in the world?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, musical intervals are numerical ratios (thanks for telling us that, Pythagoras!), and from quantum mechanics we know the universe is made of sine waves, which are basically "notes", so maybe the biggest music collection of all is The Universe itself ......

(Spiney, you're rambling again .....).

Raasay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arion AF-8500MCI, 1.2m dish,
USALS H-H, 2db dual output LNB, SkyStar2
My Location
Southern Europe
Yes, but "In space, nobody can hear you scream", (thanks for telling us that, Ridley Scott!)...

So it's a bit like the debate over whether "art" is really "art" if nobody can see it to appreciate it...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Raasay said:
So it's a bit like the debate over whether "art" is really "art" if nobody can see it to appreciate it...

Or if you can see it, but Trace Emin has had something to do with it;)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
In space, if you're in a spacesuit, in fact your scream CAN be heard, on the comm radio!

If you're not in a spacesuit, then you're dead, and therefore can't do anything at all, never mind screaming .......

Catchy though that line was, it had nothing at all to do with the actual film, which as far as I remember had not one single scream in it, loud or silent!

As to whether art is still art (or music still music) if there's no observer to "experience it", I'm afraid that's a trick question! For art or music to exist, it must first be created, by a self aware observer.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
spiney said:
Catchy though that line was, it had nothing at all to do with the actual film, which as far as I remember had not one single scream in it, loud or silent!

I believe all that got attacked by the alien after it left the breakfast table screamed on the Nostromo, including Ripley when she was inside the escape pod (in spacesuit).

Indeed the alien screamed just after it broke out of John Hurt.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
The alien's scream doesn't count!

I still can't remember Ripley screaming, or anyone else, however will watch closely next time it's on. Apologies if I'm wrong.

When the baby alien pops out of John Hurt (nice place to live!), I can remember some shouting, and particularly Veronica Cartwright going "ugh", but not actually any full-bodied let-it-go scream.

Famously, Scott didn't tell the actors exactly what would happen, the confusion shown in this scene is quite genuine!

Raasay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arion AF-8500MCI, 1.2m dish,
USALS H-H, 2db dual output LNB, SkyStar2
My Location
Southern Europe
spiney said:
As to whether art is still art (or music still music) if there's no observer to "experience it", I'm afraid that's a trick question! For art or music to exist, it must first be created, by a self aware observer.

Tell that to Beethoven! And what about naturally occurring art? Are Saturn's rings not art? You believe there was a self-aware observer creating those? And how far can I go off-topic before I get banned? :-doh!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Ah, well, Beethoven wasn't deaf at first, and later he heard all the music "in his head" (so to speak, ar rather, so to hear .....).

Saturn's rings certainly do exist, without an observer, but I don't believe their "beauty" would .......

We often go way off topic, some people very slowly at a tangent, Spiney sometimes does it at 90 degrees, just join in ....