Which cable is mine..?????

markie76

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a problem and wonder if anyone can help by providing a solution how to resolve it...

Background: My mum lives in a council block which now is unfortunately managed by a Housing @ss. Her dish was installed above her flat on a flat roof with single downlink cable coming through the wall. There was a refurb and a pitched roof was built. Just before this was done and without any consultation all the dishes were resited to a wall with all the downlink cables being extended from their original location and the roof being built on top of them. Her dish continued to work fine for some time until one day when the dishes were again re-sited from the wall to the staircase flatroof (the Housing @ss had caused an eyesore on the wall with 11 dishes without any planning permission and so had to move them). After the dishes were moved it seems her Hotbird reception was gone and replaced with Astra 28.2. I went up on the roof to investigate - mothers dish & LNB were still there but someone had fitted an LNB arm to it and the 2 downlink cables were going to the other side of the building. It looks like during the 2nd dish re-site someone had claimed her dish and her original downlink was connected to a sky feed. I then reclaimed her dish & LNB and installed in a completely separate location (with planning permission) but had to run another downlink cable across the roof and which comes in through the window.

Problem: When the dishes were first re-sited and the original cables extended they are all the same colour and they all emerge in the same place from under the new roof in one big bundle with no way of identifying who's is which. I would like to locate our original downlink cable which comes in through a hole in the lounge wall and connect that up to her dish and then I can get rid of the new downlink which comes over the roof. MY plan was to connect up a Sky Box to the original downlink cable and then sequentially unplug the cables from the sky dishes until the signal dissappears and find the cable that way.
However, there are 3 sky mini-dishes with Octo output LNBS on them and barely had I unplugged the first one when people started appearing complaining their Sky picture had dissappeared - oops. I suspect everyone has been upgraded to Sky+ and thats the reason for the octo LNBs.

So my question is, is there a better way of locating at the LNB end which cable is the one coming into mothers flat so I can reclaim it and connect it to her dish?

thanks

Mark

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well you can isolate which dish it's on by putting your hand over the LNB on each dish and seeing which one when covered loses the signal on your receiver, but from then on it's a case of disconnecting each feed in turn whilst someone is watching your satellite receiver.

markie76

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Well you can isolate which dish it's on by putting your hand over the LNB on each dish and seeing which one when covered loses the signal on your receiver, but from then on it's a case of disconnecting each feed in turn whilst someone is watching your satellite receiver.
YES, you're absolutely right - I should have thought of this :-ohcrap
Its the simple but effective tactics you miss when you think about something for too long/too hard. Job for next weekend depending if the white stuffs gone - with one dish to worry about I'll have a 1 in 8 I pick the right one first time :D

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
good one,
that what i do when i have 5 dishes and can not tell what one should we move for afn realignment.
if you look at the signal strength and quality . your mother can watch the strength and you can call here on your mobile phone.
as you cover the right one the level will drop a lot but it will never go to zero.
removing your hand will cause it to jump again and you have it.
ralph