which dreambox for recording?

h_p

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC Dreambox
My Location
London
Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a dreambox but wanted to know which one I should go for.

I will be connecting it to a motorised dish to use CCcam and load images for european satellites.

1. Are the current images available on all boxes or are there different images for each box, if so which box is better supported?

2. I would like to record on this box, preferably recording one channel while watching another - I beleieve the box requires a twin tuner, if so which box will allow me to do this?

3. An added bonus will be a box that has a usb port which will allow me to connect an external hard drive and use this as a PVR function rather than recording on a built in hard drive or installnig a laptop hard drive, which I understand the DM 600 does.

4. Unfortunately I cannot afford the DM 800/8000. Although I would consider a clone if they are reccomended and are well supported?

5. can you reccomend any suppliers?

Any help will be much appreciated, also if you can reccomend any suppliers that will be good.

Thanks

H

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
There are only 2 twin tuner dreamboxes. The DM7025 and the DM8000.
Every Dreambox except the 500 has USB.
Best images are Nabilo & Gemini.
Enigma 2 images are the most supported as they basically replace enigma1 which is now slowly dying out.
The box you buy denotes which platform you use.
DM500, 600 , 7020 use E1 images.
DM800, DM7025, DM8000 use E2 images.

Buying a clone is risky in the fact that after sales service is often non existent. Do it at your own risk. As for performance, it doesn't really differ from that of an official box.

I recommend _www.satstore.co.uk which is an official UK supplier.

h_p

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC Dreambox
My Location
London
Thanks for your help. I have been reading a lot of posts on DM 800 clones and it seems many people are happy with them. So may consider going for that.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
the DM800 is single tuner, so recording one channel and watching another will only work if both channels are on the same transponder.
want my advice --> buy 2 second hand 7000's and save for a DM8000.