Why top of arc?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, don't understand what you are saying. If as your profile says, you are in Mauritius, then your true North is 57.7 degrees or thereabouts.

Basmati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
10' mesh dish.
My Location
Mauritius
rolfw said:
Sorry, don't understand what you are saying. If as your profile says, you are in Mauritius, then your true North is 57.7 degrees or thereabouts.

I am in Mauritius and NSS12 is at 57 while my true north is at 57.7. Will it be an issue if I take NSS12 as my true north despite the 0.7 degree discrepancy? Thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can always nudge the dish eastwards by a couple of clicks to rectify the difference, then align.

Basmati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
10' mesh dish.
My Location
Mauritius
Hi folks,

Finally I am in the process of installing the actuator. Having spotted the satellite at the top most in my arc, now I would want to move the dish to both extremities of my arc. If satellites A & B are my two extremes, how do I know I have hit these satellites once I start moving the dish? Thanks for enlightening me.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You would check that you receive a signal from one of the transponders on the satellite you are looking for.

Basmati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
10' mesh dish.
My Location
Mauritius
Thanks, I understand what you mean but once I am at the top of the arc, how do I tell the actuator to go to the satellite I want at the end of the arc? Do I have to manually press the right/left button on the positioner to do this? If this is the procedure, then it's almost impossible to know when to stop especially if the dish is slightly off the arc. Hope you understand my question. Thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Once you've set the arc by tuning in the top satellite, then you drive the dish using the motor to the next satellite, whilst watching the signal strength and quality readings from the receiver. Once found, just check it's the correct satellite by testing with a transponder scan, then save.

Basmati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
10' mesh dish.
My Location
Mauritius
You said after tuning the top satellite, I drive the dish using the motor to the next sat on the arc. What is the proper way of driving the satellite with the motor? Should it be done manually on the positioner, ie, I move 1 degree by one at a time until I find the Sat I want? Is this the proper way or is there a better way to achieve this? Thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well if you are using a v-Box with DiSEqC sync, then drive it using the receiver East and West buttons, then save when you hit the satellite you want.

Basmati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
10' mesh dish.
My Location
Mauritius
I see. So I should choose the desired sat from the receiver. It's the receiver which instructs the positioner how much to move. Cool! Thanks

Basmati

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
10' mesh dish.
My Location
Mauritius
I guess I am out of luck. My positioner is a Superjack EZ-2000. Does not have sync function :-ohcrap How can I know how much right or left I need to go until I hit the next sat. I can imagine if the dish is off arc, I will never hit any sat except the top one. I wonder why they make such a positioner in the fist place.