(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Yes showed both KB3035583 & KB3080149 doing the rounds again & tried to infest my pc again :eek:
Thanks for all the info here on how to deal with them :)

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I have just rebooted my pc.On the task bar bottom right is the windows update icon.Persistent arnt they.:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not used Windows for years, but I had to sort out a Wireless Networking issue for my neighbour today - he's got a new and velly expensive Sony Laptop and a recalcitrant Printer.

It came with Win 10 - and a touch screen - and I found it quite easy to use.

Still not a patch on Linux Mint, though.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
It came with Win 10 - and a touch screen - and I found it quite easy to use.
Yes, to turn computers (and their owners) into zombies unknowingly feeding Microsoft with personal information and details of every aspect of life, they have to make it easy to use ;O) and 'free' will make many jump on the bait.
And before anyone says it's fine because Google, kgb, apple, cia or the Inquisition :O) have been doing similar things, that does not make it fine that MS starts doing the same.

The OS part of the latest w10 release is fine, no problems with it here on my w10-test pc, great job in many areas, stable, and fine compatibility with older programs, printers, scanners etc. But absolutely nothing I need compared to 7 & 8. It's MS that needs us to 'up'grade, to get to our personal details, interests, lifestyles etc etc and find ways to monetize it, sell and share the information, sell us trash apps from the store, and make further strategies for future privacy invasion and monetization.

...but the agressive and repeated upgrade marketing (invasion) of users of previous OS is a disgrace. & in w10, the problem is the constant transfer of personal info, with most users having zero knowledge of what, how, to where or why. Anyway, for those who care or want to care, 3 programs seems to be well established in the 'fix things' dept.:
O&O ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10 to curb the w10 invasion of privacy.
Ultimate Outsider: Using GWX Control Panel to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon to stop the Microsoft rats from gnawing into w7\8\8.1
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements to get back a 'normal' startmenu (and get rid of the (imo) ugly tile stuff) in w8\w10

Also, the w10 removal of information about what updates do or contain, MS in the position of feeding the pc with anything and everything with the pc owner getting zero idea what it may do or imply, and no way to control it. Keeping users as much as possible in the dark seems to be the new strategy. There are ways around this, but afaik not yet in any simple freestanding program, easy to use, like the above mentionned.

Am just sharing some info, and hoping some will find it useful. End of rant, & good luck.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^ "Microshaft" would have summed it up nicely! :D

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I thought that my zbox with windows 7 pro on it was safe from the upgrade.But not so, the upgrade icon has appeared.
It looks like Mint will be going on that box.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its turned up on my win8 laptop as well. A bit unexpected as its not activated! :D I shall see what happens then its another candidate for Minting.....

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Always have a Mint-flavoured repository (no pun intended, deb users) somewhere on your PC, even if it has to share HDD space with you-know-what.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
The latest windaft updates are great, the computer reboots, locks up like ransomware saying "all your files are where you left them" then it resets all the program defaults back to microshaft so I've had to set VLC and Chrome back to default media and web browser and god knows what else they've changed

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^ That's an ironic "Like" I gave you :cool:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well it is now a month since I updated to Win 10 and installed Ashampoo and locked things down, updated classic shell and this Sony laptop is better than when it was new.

I still have an old version of Mint on my desktop but rarely use it now as it refused to upgrade to the later version so I lost interest with it

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, earlier Mints (Up until 16, IIRC) were best dealt with by a fresh install after a major upgrade.

Fortunately the latest versions do have the facility to upgrade existing instead, which is more helpful of course.

Need a 10" Tablet soon and in two minds whether to go for Android or to give Win 10 Mobile a whirl.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I'm playing with Linux at the moment on a project for a friend, on a "half laptop", it's Centos 6.5 with incrediblepbx

There is no GUI on it, everything is command line although you can login using a web browser to set the PBX side of it up and the boot time is unreal
As soon as the majority of the services I use drop flash and move over to HTML5 I'm gonna make the switch and ditch windows, I just need to find the right Linux flavour for me, I only need a few programs which I know should work, VLC, a web browser, sabnzb, sickbeard and couchpotato and I'm not that fussed about a GUI as long as the commands are not that long to run a program

The only software I use that I might not be able to find a Linux version of is for my unlocking boxes for mobile phones, they use funky device drivers and run a windows only software I think but that's no drama because I could always run windows 7 on the half laptop if needed

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I used Crunchbang for a while - lightning fast and you can create rudimentary custom GUI quite easily.

Not sure if it is still around.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Crunchbang got dropped quite a while back & is now dormant. Bunsen & Crunchbang++ are successors.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
For really old hardware Lubuntu is worth looking at - I resurrected an ancient 10 year old laptop with minimal specs for a single mum I know to get her back online after her original laptop got completely trashed - her toddler trod on it (or from the damage possibly stomped on it!)

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I often have a look at the update list.I install most of the security onesNever the recomended ones.Had a look today only about six recomended updates.There should be a lot more.I looked at update list.To my surprise the recomended updates were installed on the 17/12/15.I know that I am going doolally.But I know that I did not install them.It looks like you know who did it.No not mister Green.:)
I set about uninstalling them.I noticed that on the 18th Dec Update kb3035583 had been installed this is one of those that I had hidden.
Uninstalled that one lo and behold the W10 update icon disapeared.I am going to spent some time unistalling the recomended updates.See what happens then, will those snidey g*** at redmond reinstall them.

updates2.jpg

Last edited:

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
All recomended ones uninstalled accept.
KB 3020370.No uninstall option.
Cannot find KB2901983 KB2750147 I Think that they are .net.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Amazing.:)
Just checked for new updates.They have come back as important updates.
Updates is going to be switched off.
Third from bottom.KB3035583.:)

updates4.jpg