Advice Needed XAMPP and windows 10

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Does anyone run the combo in the title?

I have had XAMPP installed and running Apache, PHP, MySQL, Filezilla server and Mercury Mail Server for ages now on windows 10 and haven't had any problems up until this morning.

SWMBO forgot to put the leccy key in the meter this morning after she topped it up* and all the power went off about 9am.

After the power was restored the PC's automatically booted up and XAMPP should have started Apache, MySQL, Filezilla and Mercury, everything started as per norm apart from Apache, it threw a wobble and refused to start.
I've rebooted Windows, rebooted XAMPP and nothing worked, XAMPP shows this on the control panel:
Code:
12:00:52  [Apache]     Problem detected!
12:00:52  [Apache]     Port 443 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4!
12:00:52  [Apache]     Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
12:00:52  [Apache]     You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
12:00:52  [Apache]     or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port
The PID "4" is a system service and I can't kill it
Capture.PNG

The only way I can get Apache to run is by changing the SSL port to anything but 443 in the Apache config.
That's easy done but I shouldn't need to change ports, it was working before and now its not and I haven't changed anything
What I want to try and work out is what's changed to make a system service use port 443 (between not having a problem before the power went off to it coming back on), I don't think any windows updates have been installed as it normally pops one of those annoying notifications up saying so, has Microshaft turned on a new datafunnel/spy tool?
I'm going to run a wireshark now and see what it says, see if I can work out what's using that port and where it goes then do a virus/malware scan and see what that says

For the record I have (XAMPP,) Sickbeard, SABnzb, Couchpotato and plex running their own webservers on their own ports and they don't seem to be affected, only XAMPP is

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions as my old pal google is vague and some say to reinstall XAMPP but I don't want to, it worked perfect before the PC was restarted

*I know, I know, key meters cost a fortune to run and I've told her to ring round and change to a better supplier with quarterly meter (she owes nothing, the meter was left from last tenants) but that's a topic for another day

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I dare say, get Raspberry Pi and run everything properly. I don't like these 'packaged' XAMPP type things.

Install Process Explorer - part of Sysinternals from Microsoft and see if you can dig down to a sub/child process for PID 4.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
I dare say, get Raspberry Pi and run everything properly. I don't like these 'packaged' XAMPP type things.

Install Process Explorer - part of Sysinternals from Microsoft and see if you can dig down to a sub/child process for PID 4.

I only use it for localhost development so cant justify getting a Pi (even if I installed Kodi and stuck it to the back of the TV), SWMBO wouldn't be best pleased at all, she nearly had kittens when I bought a Firestick questioning why I needed "another box"
If I get a spare few weeks I will eventually back everything up and ditch Windows for a Linux distro but that's been in the pipeline for a while now and I really haven't got the time to run backups and transfer stuff over to other HDDs
I do have another tower sat here doing nothing at the mo but again, I don't have the time or energy to install a LAMP setup onto it (when XAMPP works/ed fine for what I needed)

I'll have a look at Process Explorer, it did show a different PID before I rebooted the PC but I didn't take note of it

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

It says System for PID 4 with Procexp64.exe, svchost.exe and smss.exe listed below
Capture.PNG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hmm... You don't have Skype or anything like installed, have you?

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hmm... You don't have Skype or anything like installed, have you?
Not that I can see, I did see the posts on Google about unticking a box in Skype changing the ports but when I've done a search nothing comes up for Skype or its settings apart from Skype Video and I can't find anything in the settings that covers ports and the Get Skype tile on the start menu, I do have SIP clients installed but they're not the problem (installed well before XAMPP and been no bother since)
I've even looked at the weather tile as Google thinks turning that off might help but when I've clicked on it I was asked for location info/it looked un-setup so never looked any further in that direction

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I can't find IIS anywhere on this computer so it might not be included in Win10 Pro, or if it is they've changed its name to something else (I've looked for the other names its known for and had no joy too)

I've not done any upgrades/updates, the only thing that happened was the power was killed and it went t*ts up when the power come back on

If I can't find anything else out by the end of the weekend I'm going to presume it's windows sucking up encrypted/ssl data and take the plunge and ditch Windows, I really don't have the time and don't really do anything sensitive on the Win10 box but if MS are sniffing data on SSL ports its gotta go

Avast gave the all clear and I couldn't get my head round wireshark, there was too much to take in lol

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
*I know, I know, key meters cost a fortune to run and I've told her to ring round and change to a better supplier with quarterly meter (she owes nothing, the meter was left from last tenants) but that's a topic for another day

Erm, you did set up your own account with the supplier, didn't you? Otherwise you'll be paying the former tenant's bill off... o_O

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nope unfortunately, everything is pointing to either Skype (which isn't installed in its full form) or W3SVC/IIS but I can find no trace of either of them, plus when I goto localhost:443 or 127.0.0.1:443 I get nothing and if the IIS/Windaft web server was running I'd have at least expected a web page of some sorts
Erm, you did set up your own account with the supplier, didn't you? Otherwise you'll be paying the former tenant's bill off... o_O
Oddly yes, she changed the name from previous tenants and even went as far as changing to another supplier too I think, why on earth she didn't demand they come to remove the meter and put a quarterly meter in I don't know

Luke61

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Technomate, Philips twin lnb, Telekom HD receiver, fixed on 39E
My Location
Leicester
try this. disable all the network adapters then restart the pc. if 443 is still taken then it must be Bill keeping an eye on you :D