Xenta DT1052 Freeview Box LED mod

deltatango

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
At the moment got an old a Metronic Dualis box working + 1Metre dish, moveable within 20 degrees. Got Astra 19deg sorted need to swing onto 28deg, also must learn French to read its instruction book!
My Location
Kent
I got one of those inexpensive freeview boxes to give my old analogue video some work to do before it packs up for ever, it had been working with an old Grundig unit but now that has become slow and power hungry compared to modern small units.
I was pleased with the low power and size of this Xenta but dismayed by the high bright red standby LED which dominated the shelves with my other equipment.
I decided then to reduce it, so here is a guide if you want to follow in my footsteps......
A single screw at its rear to remove fully, then gently unclip its top case and slide out the mains lead clamp. The pcb is held by two plastic clips (one each side) gently ease back and when free its pcb is angled up and pulled out from the front.
Your target of interest is the dual LED supported on a plastic pillar, not the dark square one with a lens on long legs.
Looking at the front view (LED on left) its left hand terminal is what you need to unsolder (maybe easier to remove all then refit) gently bend this one upwards at mid point for a solder terminal, fitting a resistor between this and its connection on the pcb.
A value of up to about 3k3 should suit depending on your tolerance of how bright you wish it to glow, plus save a few mW as well.
Make a neat job clipping wires and checking your solder joints plus clean the pcb of stray particles, when happy reassemble unit in reverse to dismantle instructions.
NOTE:-

• DO NOT do this if you are unsure or lack proper skill in this area of work.
  • BEWARE there is MAINS about which can KILL.
  • YOU will invalidate your GUARANTEE or WARRANTY.

Having covered the nasties, I think you will find it a lot better than such a bright red light lighting up your room.

Please take care from deltatango.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
If I have LEDs that annoying, I either stick blu-tak over them, or show them the sharp edges of my side-cutters, after all, they're only there to remind you to switch the devices off at the wall... :D

deltatango

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
At the moment got an old a Metronic Dualis box working + 1Metre dish, moveable within 20 degrees. Got Astra 19deg sorted need to swing onto 28deg, also must learn French to read its instruction book!
My Location
Kent
Brutal but true! I admit I have snipped wires myself, notably a range of TV's that came blessed with tweeters which caused "problems" to its owners not used to the extra strident high frequency range before.

Despite mods to alter the feedback slope of the amp etc (official and otherwise) I did indeed cut the tweeter wire, which caused a sales rep to wonder why we bought more than other dealers at that time, telling him only when sales had all but stopped and he noted that customers were also well pleased with their product.

Having said that I still like to find a "good" solution to a problem without a heavy hand, so a reasonable red glow tells me its on and still "alive" without blinding me!

This unit is so easy to get apart I just thought it woud help others to modify theirs without problems.

Regards from deltatango