Antique Prodelin (10 ft) project

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi Martin.
I,m lucky that the large garage/building is giving some shelter from the very strong winds that we have had recently ....but the sight of a 10 foot dish bobbing around in the wind was pretty scary :eek:

I,v no info on the official gain of the dish other than the Prodelin spec sheet that beavs2112 uploaded in post 8
which covers a number of dishes --- my results show about 4 db gain over the c.m 1.8 on most transponders .

i will measure the pole size/ diameter and thickness etc tomorrow, as i,m away from home at the moment.

looking forward to your 2.4 c.m. project :)

Hi nelson thank you, yes you don't want them taking to the sky's :eek: I must have missed the spec sheet I will take a look, 4DB = 4% I believe , in KU the 1.8 compared to the 1.2 I get around 5/6%, I should be in for some serious gain then, no rush on the diameter nelson as and when you can :) thanks again.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hi nelson thank you, yes you don't want them taking to the sky's :eek: I must have missed the spec sheet I will take a look, 4DB = 4% I believe , in KU the 1.8 compared to the 1.2 I get around 5/6%, I should be in for some serious gain then, no rush on the diameter nelson as and when you can :) thanks again.

Er no !

Dish Gain & Surface Area ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I do understand what it means we was talking DB on a stb compared to %, what you've posted is is an estimated DB/dish size to receive the signal, that's nothing to do with DB VS % on a STB :pmay I suggest you read up yourself, and stop trying to be patronising :p

I have enough problems with others on here being patronising towards me without staff starting.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I do understand what it means we was talking DB on a stb compared to %, what you've posted is is an estimated DB to receive the signal, that's nothing to do with DB VS % :pmay I suggest you read up yourself and stop trying to be patronising :p

I have enough problems with others on here being patronising towards me without staff starting.

Your original question was

....do we have any idea of the gain of this dish in C band please, ? (I've added the ?)

The right hand column gives a pretty good idea of dish size increase compared to the signal (in decibels ) sent over a link. It is not possible to relate a generated dB reading from a satellite receiver to the performance of a dish, since everythng else in the link budget, cable length, connectors, switches, LNB (gain), location, background noise, the receiver hardware (and even firmware version) will affect what is shown on the TV screen. Best to go back to the manufacturers specifications and work on the differences that way, hence the reason including a comparison of dB against dish size, which will give you a basis of how much difference there is ebtween a C band 1.8 and 3.0 m dish.

I can start patronising if you wish though, just tell if you want the ten minute or full hour ;)

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Trying to twist it now and get out of it:p:D

My original Q was, does nelson know the gain of his dish in C band like you say. after nelson pointed me to beavs PDF file I found the answer to my Q

The answer to my Q is, if it is Series 1304-3, (3.7/4.2) is 40 DBI,

So what are you going on about ?? :confused.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I can start patronising if you wish though, just tell if you want the ten minute or full hour ;)

Get cracked on, a full hour will be fine by me:), but your not doing very well to start with:-buttkick;).

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
Hi nelson, a few questions if you don't mind please, how's she been holding up in the winds, it looks quite sheltered where she's sat ?, do we have any idea of the gain of this dish in C band please, and what size pole is she sat on, thank you for any information you can supply :).

Hi -
The pole size, on the dish/ mount setup is 4 - 1/2 inches outside diameter, with a thickness of 7 mm ... not enough for a dish this size, in my view :( ...
which is why i shortened/lowered the whole thing by sinking it 24 inches into the ground, and put support chains where the box section side supports would normally go.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi -
The pole size, on the dish/ mount setup is 4 - 1/2 inches outside diameter, with a thickness of 7 mm ... not enough for a dish this size, in my view :( ...
which is why i shortened/lowered the whole thing by sinking it 24 inches into the ground, and put support chains where the box section side supports would normally go.

Thank you nelson, I was concerned whether 6.5 inch would be sufficient for my install at high level in the open with strong westerly winds, it should be fine then, a smaller lighter dish and larger pole, I like your idea of the support chains and turn buckles, I will be using this idea for more stability and piece of mind, thanks for taking time out and the information :).

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
Got seriously worried about the stability of this monster a few weeks ago with all these storms :eek:
so fitted another two chains and tensioners to the dish support frame ... much improved....
can sleep easier now :)
You folks in the south have had the wind today for a change :D

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 71

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Is that a permanent fixture of the Nelson household?

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Is that a permanent fixture of the Nelson household?

Its not supposed to be C.J. ....
As i got it a quite a bargain price it was intended to be just a summer plaything and be taken down before winter ...
but other things took priority, and so its still there :eek:
It makes getting the towing van out difficult.. and getting a vehicle into the garage is not so easy with it there either ..
so it will have to come down eventually.... have not tested its limits in k/u band yet though :D

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Very nice dish hope you get it back up soon.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Very nice dish hope you get it back up soon.

Cheers B.M. ..
It was great fun to play with a dish this size .. and would love to maybe - trailer mount it sometime in the future - and get it away from the buildings , to view the full arc .... The dish face was taken apart early summer and is stored away for now .... The polar mount is still there though, and is currently being used to hold a different dish that i,v been test/playing with on and off during the past month or two ... but i will start another thread sometime soon to document that ongoing project ..... :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You've been wanting to open that thread for weeks now, Nelson...

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
The polar mount is still there though, and is currently being used to hold a different dish that i,v been test/playing with on and off during the past month or two ... but i will start another thread sometime soon to document that ongoing project ..... :)
Will look forward to this nelson, I like large O/S dishes :)