Astra 1N tests - latest chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Are you suggesting ITV HD will not go to 1N ?

andrewcrawford

Reaction score
Website
www.computersupportservicescs.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Dual DVB-2S computer system and DUal Qbox HD Mini with oscam
My Location
scotland
paulingreece said:
Hi thanks for the quick reply, would a HD box make any differance, also will i get any channels back from Astra 1n.

the bx wont matter, it the satillete itself the beam that you received before wa wide and spread overa large area teh new beam is very tight and doesnt leave the uk much , not sure maybe some with the techincal knowledge can say for sure but i suspect you possivle need a much larger dish possible in the order of 4m, but this might only work short term until the new satilletes come online and have there beam even tighter

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Zorba said:
Are you suggesting ITV HD will not go to 1N ?

The ITV1 HD will (eventually) as they will want all the regions fta. But the tp with the 6 SD versions will almost certainly be the next one to migrate.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
paulingreece said:
Hi thanks for the quick reply, would a HD box make any differance, also will i get any channels back from Astra 1n.

No difference whatsoever, and no you wont get anything on the uk beam unless you move back to western Europe.

paulingreece

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky box with sky freesat card, 1.75m dish
My Location
Greece peleponesse
Thanks for the replys everyone, looks like i am stuck with Nova for the future, any ideas how long before we lose the ITV regions, and also channel 4.
Thanks,

Paul.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
paulingreece said:
Thanks for the replys everyone, looks like i am stuck with Nova for the future, any ideas how long before we lose the ITV regions, and also channel 4.
Thanks,

Paul.

ITV's - probably early January. Fewer changes tend to be made over Christmas as the operators dont have as many technicians around. No sign of the channels moving yet, and there tends to be a couple of weeks parallel running.

C4 anyones guess.

paulingreece

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece peleponesse
Thanks Analougesat, seems Sky are determined to stop people in Europe getting uk tv, tried freesat with a Humax hd box, waste of time.
Regards,

Paul.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You cant blame Sky this time bud - its the broadcasters who want to go fta so their channels can join Freesat.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
paulingreece said:
Thanks Analougesat, seems Sky are determined to stop people in Europe getting uk tv, tried freesat with a Humax hd box, waste of time.
Regards,

Paul.
Well,going by all the reports it seems just Greece and Cyprus are losing out. Surely the broadcasters must read forums like this one and realise that it's all a waste of time ,even if it is a temporary satellite up there. My expat customers are taking it personally .

park_gate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8M + Pace 2600C1 spain
My Location
PO7 Uk and Moraira, Spain
paulingreece said:
Regards,

Paul.

It's nothing to do with Sky SES own the satellite.

I've not heard of anyone getting Astra 1N in Greece but people are getting it in Italy so it’s not completely out of the question. Ask around and see if anyone in your area has found a way of getting it. Try Expat forums.

I would say don't spend too much money on new equipment as it may all change when 2E, 2F and 2G are up.

You might also like to look at Arab sat which has English sound tracks.

Terry

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Zorba said:
Well,going by all the reports it seems just Greece and Cyprus are losing out. Surely the broadcasters must read forums like this one and realise that it's all a waste of time ,even if it is a temporary satellite up there. My expat customers are taking it personally .

Just Greece and Cyprus eh? What about Latvia, Romania, Finland, Sweden & Ukraine - and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head from the reports we have had posted here on the forum.

The Canaries will almost certainly cop it when the new series 2's go into service.

park_gate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8M + Pace 2600C1 spain
My Location
Zorba said:

I will assume this post is not a wind up although it does look a bit like a joke!

The broadcasters have a legal obligation to restrict access to territories where they do not have a licence from the rights holders to broadcast. If they didn’t do this they would be breaking copyright law and the TV bosses would be personally liable.

It’s nothing personal.

Terry

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
park_gate said:
I will assume this post is not a wind up although it does look a bit like a joke!

The broadcasters have a legal obligation to restrict access to territories where they do not have a licence from the rights holders to broadcast. If they didn’t do this they would be breaking copyright law and the TV bosses would be personally liable.

It’s nothing personal.

Terry
I understand what you are saying.So how come those channels are still available in most of Europe ,even stronger than before ?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Analoguesat said:
Just Greece and Cyprus eh? What about Latvia, Romania, Finland, Sweden & Ukraine - and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head from the reports we have had posted here on the forum.

The Canaries will almost certainly cop it when the new series 2's go into service.
Maybe all they have to do is get bigger dishes. We started off with 1.5m dishes until BBC went FTA. Then we progressed to 2.7m -4.3m.

paulingreece

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece peleponesse
Think i will wait to see what reception reports come in before getting a bigger dish, cheapest i can find here is about 2 1/2 grand,?.
All this talk about closer intergration in europe, with free movement etc, shame tv is not the same.

M60

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed 28.2E Triax TD64, Freesat PVR + Panasonic Freesat TV's
My Location
Northern England
paulingreece said:
Think i will wait to see what reception reports come in before getting a bigger dish, cheapest i can find here is about 2 1/2 grand,?.
All this talk about closer intergration in europe, with free movement etc, shame tv is not the same.

I was discussing getting my relatives in the Canaries a 2.4mtr Andrews Channel Master dish but for the cost it's not worth it as I doubt even this will pick up 2F's UK spot once it launches late next year.

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Zorba said:
I understand what you are saying.So how come those channels are still available in most of Europe ,even stronger than before ?

Because 1N is just a temporary satellite for the next year or so with a spot designed for proper use when it goes to 19.2E and so was never going to be an ideal fit for the UK. It has a "side lobe" covering south western areas of Europe nicely which Astra 2D didn't have, hence the power increase that side of Europe. I suspect once Astra 2F/E/G come along things will radically change for the worse again for a lot of people.

Dan Dan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
19/26/28 1m
My Location
tenerife
park_gate said:

It’s nothing personal.

Terry
they have a contractual liability to restrict access ,this is nothing to do with criminal law and are not breaking copyright law,which is criminal,but their contract for which they could be sued .sorry but no one is personally liable since 1855,that is one of the major point of having a company.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Liability_Act_1855

DragonSat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD (DRX890C with 2TB Drive) connected to a boring basic sky dish
BFBS - Not yet connected
AFN - Not yet connected
Sky ITA - Not yet connected
My Location
York
Thanks to Ralph, he sold me a couple of old Echostar 1.25m Fiberglass dishs. I installed one on the roof terrace, and Voilla, I have Channel 4 HD loud and proud. Signal 60% quality 50%

So confirmed 1N Verticals receivable with 1.25m Echostar, and a Fracarro Quad LNB. Didnt even need to use the Black Ultra from the 1m dish.

Pictures below of the old and new dish's

Update, used the Black Ultra Quad instead of the Fracarro Quad, Astra 1N now sits at -33dBm with 11.5dB SNR for Horizontals (10.964), and 8.4dBm for the verticals (11.127). Pretty impressive. For comparison the north beams (11.778V) are at -27dBm with SNR of 12.8dB. Roll on Feb when BBC are rumoured to move over

I am however concearned at the Astra 2A/B south beams, there coming in at -12.2dBm VERY strong, maybe too strong.

Attachments

• IMAG1111.jpg
    IMAG1111.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG1114.jpg
    IMAG1114.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG1115.jpg
    IMAG1115.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 53

park_gate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8M + Pace 2600C1 spain
My Location
THORtenerife said:
they have a contractual liability to restrict access ,this is nothing to do with criminal law and are not breaking copyright law,which is criminal,but their contract for which they could be sued .sorry but no one is personally liable since 1855,that is one of the major point of having a company.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Liability_Act_1855

Oh if only that were true. All criminals need do is set up limited companies to avoid the law.

You are personally liable in cases of discrimination, health and safety and copyright. There are others but they are the main three.

You can use the "I didn't know defence" for copyright infringement and that is what the Southsea landlady did successfully the first time Sky brought a criminal prosecution against her.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 s107 makes it an offence to infringe copyright knowingly in the course of a business.

107 Criminal liability for making or dealing with infringing articles, &c.(1)A person commits an offence who, without the licence of the copyright owner-

(a)makes for sale or hire, or
(b)imports into the United Kingdom otherwise than for his private and domestic use, or
(c)possesses in the course of a business with a view to committing any act infringing the copyright, or
(d)in the course of a business -
(i)sells or lets for hire, or
(ii)offers or exposes for sale or hire, or
(iii)exhibits in public, or
(iv)distributes, or

(e)distributes otherwise than in the course of a business to such an extent as to affect prejudicially the owner of the copyright,
an article which is, and which he knows or has reason to believe is, an infringing copy of a copyright work.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.