Batten down the hatches winter storm chat 2011-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Thats what i decided to do. I'm well hammered now :-lmao

2 bottles of plonk down 2 to go.

The only problem is that my fridge (aka the table in the back garden) is covered in this horrible white stuff now and its making it hard to find :-lol

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
9 Degs C here in West Cornwall. Not seen a flake of the white stuff all day. Just getting to the end of the second bottle of red, but having to share it with wife, daughter and future son-in-law.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Coming down here quite heavily now, just lost Sky signal, now do I go out the back with a stick, or watch a recording?

Recording has it.:)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Just started to snow in the last 30 mins here. Only a light covering but I'll bet it's substantial by the morning. The biting Northerly wind has swapped to Southerly and the temperature has gone up, which is probably why it's snowing.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive been watching the flightradar24.com site this evening. With many of the airports shut for various amounts of time flights are basically being diverted anywhere the operators can get them down. Bristol seems to be a favoured diversion for Luton flights, and the plane that was supposed to be taking my mate to Poland landed at Stansted instead of Luton - so I rather assume she will be having a not terribly romantic night in Luton airport rather than the far more romantic Katowice!

-http://www.flightradar24.com/

-http://twitter.com/#!/flightradar24

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I bet a lot of people are complaing there tv isnt working due to the toy dishes being used, a few already have on ds.

people in the nordic regions will be laughing again at our ability to cope with a little snow.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
wod said:
I bet a lot of people are complaing there tv isnt working due to the toy dishes being used, a few already have on ds.

people in the nordic regions will be laughing again at our ability to cope with a little snow.

It is only 3 inches round here, and is having trouble settling, but on the way back from the Christmas do, there were plenty of cars stuck on hills, and a few others with signs of 'failure to engage inexperienced drive mode'.

Attachments

• Snow1.JPG
    Snow1.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Snow2.JPG
    Snow2.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 26

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Seven inches of snow here so far, still snowing, but oddly nothing has settled on any of the dishes. MGM ME on 10E is usually the first to go with a bit of snowfall on my temp. mounted 80cm dish.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
wod said:

My 80cm 13 and 19.2 dish lost signal way before my zone 2 Sky dish - can't reach the 80 easily but zone 2 is right next to bedroom and having to brush it clean every 3/4 hour to maintain 28 E signal. The snow here is very fine particles and sticking to virtually anything, only 2 inches or so on the ground but similar build ups on phone lines and even vertical walls it is blowing against.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Less than an inch of true snowfall here, but it has drifted quite a bit so varies on the ground from a micron or two to several inches.

Is that it?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
About 3" fallen here and with a little freezing rain on top that's made a thin hard crust (sounds like a cremè bruleè!). Not as cold as it has been so I'll investigate the pipe problem later on. Amused to see the UK news channels making as much 'news' out of the snow as they can.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
No snow here just ICE

I agree the news channels are making a lot of a bit of snow, although East Anglia has had quite a flurry, a lot more than London

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
The next day, and we're well and truly stuck indoors under the massive snowfall that fell last night, it has to be a whopping 7 Millimetres out there, it's such a disruption to our lives, I'll never be able to go outside for coal under this load of snow!!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was just a light snow shower, but the way the media hyped it up, you'd think it'd be like the film "The day after tomorrow" out there, but, nope, bit of a sprinkling, and that's that, Canada gets worse snow during the summer.... :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Agreed, Deux Chevaux: Just been down to get some supplies and a paper and despite having had several days notice and not exactly being overspent this year, North Yorkshire /county /council have failed to plough, let alone grit, a single inch of the local priority route.

Well, it is a weekend!

And then there was a lass driving along at less than 5 mph in first gear wondering why there was a queue of cars getting impatient. I really do feel some sort of tuition in driving in the right gear (in all senses) should be mandatory before a full licence is issued.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Tivù said:
I really do feel some sort of tuition in driving in the right gear (in all senses) should be mandatory before a full licence is issued.

Couldn't agree more. When I was learning to drive I seem to remember being given a lesson in the snow (albeit not after very heavy snowfall) My Dad taught me a lot about Winter weather driving and having to drive a van around on service calls both on the North Yorks. Moors and around Barnard Castle and Middleton in Teesdale improves your techniche very quickly. A session on a skid pan should be compulsory training.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
At the risk of appearing to be a philistine provincial with a chip on his shoulder about the South East, I would suggest that the London-based news media always work themselves up into a lather about the weather, especially when it affects the great metropolis to a minor degree. Those of us who have lived in the frozen north (or still do for that matter), tend to have a less histrionic attitude towards a few millimetres of snow. But I'm hardly one to comment now; it's still 9 degs here on the Cornish Riviera.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Wolsty, you are so right: Not a mention of the white stuff in "The Whippet Munchers and Black Pudding Hunters Gazette".

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Well I managed to brave the cold arctic weather to fill the bucket of coal, making my way through the deep, deep snow to get to the shed, it was touch and go for a moment too, as I had an altercation with a cold drip of water off the shed roof, I shouldn't have gone out in a t-shirt, cos I may be suffering hypothermia now.... :eek:

(It's fun taking the p*ss, it's warm, sunny and all the settled millimetres of snow are vanishing down the drains... :p )

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Drains?

You have Drains?

Jessie.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
Drains?

You have Drains?

Jessie.

I know Yorkshire's a bit behind the times, but there's no need for that.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.