My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
I wont need to skew the dish from the 104 position.

Is this now correct?

The key for today is that I get 19E nailed on 0 and the dish at 104 and 19E skewed in opp direction to max signal.
104 is a guide, but it will be pretty close. The point is if you align the dish using the central LNB you know it is correct and just needs skewing so the focal line corresponds with the geostationary arc. The reason to do it at 90º is to be sure the central LNB is really central. If it is not central the signal will go up and down on the central LNB as you skew the dish. And if the central LNB is not central you will not be able to get on the arc just by skewing the dish.

If the signal does go up and down on the central LNB as you skew the dish the most likely cause is your custom guide bar is holding the LNB at the wrong height, which is why Hakon recommended that you use genuine LNB holders for the initial setup. That might seem a lot of work but really it will make the job much quicker.

And lastly forget the positions from the calculator. On my dish they were way out.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
104 is a guide, but it will be pretty close. The point is if you align the dish using the central LNB you know it is correct and just needs skewing so the focal line corresponds with the geostationary arc. The reason to do it at 90º is to be sure the central LNB is really central. If it is not central the signal will go up and down on the central LNB as you skew the dish. And if the central LNB is not central you will not be able to get on the arc just by skewing the dish.

If the signal does go up and down on the central LNB as you skew the dish the most likely cause is your custom guide bar is holding the LNB at the wrong height, which is why Hakon recommended that you use genuine LNB holders for the initial setup. That might seem a lot of work but really it will make the job much quicker.

And lastly forget the positions from the calculator. On my dish they were way out.

Great stuff - I up there now taking the dish down.

So which figures should I use the get the lnbs on the bar.

For example will I be working it out from the bar.

if 19E is 0 then 16E will be on 3 (3 along) the bar and so on 28.2E will be on number 9 approx - use the bars as single degrees

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
When I did mine I did it with the custom guide bar removed just using a standard holder. Set the dish skew and then starting with the holder near the centre slide it along the bar until you hit your first satellite then mark the bar with a permanent marker. Continue until you have the positions of all the satellites marked. Once you have marked the guide bar with a pen you can adjust the holders on the custom bar so they correspond with the pen marks. That way you won't have to keep disassembling it to get the positioning of your holders right.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
2 godzillafan! I think that you have already started to go around the clock. Some 10 pages ago you have achieved and understood T90 tuning processes more than you have today! Do not bother with all LNBs at once, just get central one and most-far-East or most-far-West, after that all another LNBs will be easy as milk for baby.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Just spent the day taking down the dish including the old TK's, clearing the wall a little for the clearseal to go into the old holes tomorrow.

Clean the dish checked all the nuts and bolts and took the old custom bar off.

Lowered the TK by a foot or about 10/11inches.

Added a new smaller 1M aluminium bar lower and closer to the original bar. Added all the holders I roughly need which is 14.

Screwed that onto the bar and it looks much better and on test the lnb is about the height it would be on the original bar give or takes a few cms.

Put on the new 18" TK's and then put up the dish, the screwed in the smaller dish and then the bar.

Its look much better, stronger and away from the wall for much more access.

I have taken pictures for here tomorrow but the wife taken the camera, so tomorrow for the full history.

Read the last bit of input but still dont have any original holders so going to do everything on the new bar.

Results will be out slightly but hopefully nothing like before for the 19E.

I will be starting with 19E tomorrow morning and working through the instructions.

As a ball part what strenghts values should I be looking for on the Openbox S9?

I will be using that and a small TV for tunning.

Also best 19E channel to look for

cheers again guys

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
RimaNTSS said:
2 godzillafan! I think that you have already started to go around the clock. Some 10 pages ago you have achieved and understood T90 tuning processes more than you have today! Do not bother with all LNBs at once, just get central one and most-far-East or most-far-West, after that all another LNBs will be easy as milk for baby.

Hi R

long time so see.

You right, but its almost like cold feet or I am not accepting that I know it all.

I most likely know it but need to think postive and the results, i know will come this time.

Its looking much better now and much lower height to work at on both sides.

Far East like 39 and West 0.8 - will they be best (both on them are on the bar)?

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Hi Guys
Spent yesterday taking the dish down for the 3rd time and redoing it so I can find the full 16 lnbs.

I have taken some pictures so you can see the latest position.

The first three are of the new TKs on the wall and compared to the 12s. Also chalk marking of the wall show much much I dropped the new TKs. Quite a size difference, quite suprised that I did not used them before.

The 12s I will now be using to put up a TV aerial mast/pole.

The forth picture is of the dish put back up on the TK, comparing the pictures from the original two attemps, its a nice drop and now a little easier height to work from.

The last picture is what the back looks like and how much I have moved to the edge of the building.

This is so I can get a ladder of the other side and work in skewing the dish. With the 12s it was hard to determine if you actuall had the correct skew amount.

I am not to sure about the skew element as I am sure when I skew the dish from 90 to 104, the whole dish moves. Impossible to tell but hopefully the new working distance will make all the difference.

The smaller dish as also been added and the new leaner bar.

Those pictures to follow today.

Attachments

• SAM_3806.jpg
    SAM_3806.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 101
  • SAM_3807.jpg
    SAM_3807.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 107
  • SAM_3808.jpg
    SAM_3808.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 108
  • SAM_3809.jpg
    SAM_3809.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_3810.jpg
    SAM_3810.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 104

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
next lot of pictures

1. dish fully fixed on the new TK
2. close up of the new bar, smaller and close to the original bar
3. back of the bar to show fixings

Next step is to get a twin lnb fixed on 19E today

regular posts today

Attachments

• SAM_3813.jpg
    SAM_3813.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 100
  • SAM_3816.jpg
    SAM_3816.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 113
  • SAM_3817.jpg
    SAM_3817.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 94

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
update 13.38

As usual I hit 28E within 5mins 83/73 strenght, but when I move to the east nothing. The twin lnb in at 0.

I am now slowly increasing the tilt a little to see if that make a difference.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Maybe it's different being that the Wave Frontier is a reflector, but if 19°E is in the centre surely you need to move the dish westwards?

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
update 14.26

After finding 28E on 0, I went East, maybe I got my left and rights mixed up. Trying westwards now

Anyway after the first 28E, I started tilting the dish skywards nothing, so dropped it back and started again. I got 28E again on 0.

Driving me around the bend.

What I cant figure out why am I getting 28E on 0 all the time.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
If you're facing the dish and want to move from 28° to 19° it should move left slightly and upwards a touch. Not huge movements. See if you can get 23.5°, it's a very strong signal on the Dutch TP's, at least then you'll know you're heading in the right direction. (Always check you are trying to receive a signal on an active transponder)

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
sonnetpete said:
If you're facing the dish and want to move from 28° to 19° it should move left slightly and upwards a touch. Not huge movements. See if you can get 23.5°, it's a very strong signal on the Dutch TP's, at least then you'll know you're heading in the right direction. (Always check you are trying to receive a signal on an active transponder)

Cheers old - just poped in to check on updates.

I am on 28E at the moment and going to try moving it left as I am facing it and see what happens.

if nothing I will move it up a few mms and repeat.

Its one of those things - you know its close but just keeps on missing

will update in 10

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
15.42 update

Right I have managed to get 19E on 0 at the following strenght 85/70 - not the best.

Going to attempt to move from 90 to 104 without losing the signal.

Hopefully this will work

more updates to follow

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales

right guys
got 19E best i can and managed to tilt it a little more until I got the best signal I could get aboit 85/71-5

but the problem now lies with that bloody skcrew thing

no matter what i do it wont do 104

best results I got was 95-7 on the back and that willa reasonable single.

I am now going to try to move the lnb skrew

more shortly

if I can only get 97 ood is that any good?

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
starting to give up on skcrew, i dont think it works.

i can only get about approx 95 on it and the singals drop a lillte to 80/70s or less

any other ways without screw

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Why do not you go back for example to post #60 and start to do step-by-step work.
Put LNB for 19,2*E in the very middle, catch satellite, put another LNB on rail mark 20 for 0,8*W (left side looking from back of antenna) and changing only skew of T90 catch 0,8*W. Skew should be approximately 13* towards East.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I can't understand why the dish won't tilt to 104° I wouldn't worry about the signal dropping slightly on 19°E, you can make small adjustments to the LNB skew's when you have them all in place. As Rima says, put an LNB on the bar for 0.8°W and tilt the dish (as you would turn a steering wheel) till you get a signal from that sat. Don't confuse yourself with LNB skew and dish skew. I've found a pictorial explanation which may help you :

_http://www.wavefrontier.us/materials/T90%20Easy%20Guide.pdf

lanab

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.20m Offset, Azbox ME
My Location
Sweden
You're not done yet? :p i have installed many T90s, it's easy when you get hold of it, just peak the signal at apex 0, then put another LNB which is the furthest away, eg the last LNB you have on the rail, if you have the angles right it will snap in, then tweak skew as it is everything about this dish, you have to tweak between skew and elevation all the time til you nail the signal gets maxed out on the furthest LNB on the rail and the LNB in center(apex), the rest of the LNBs between doesn't matter as they will all be maxed when you add them to the rail, easy as that.

The fault you are doing is working from the center and outwards....as you only need to care about the center and edges.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
RimaNTSS said:
Why do not you go back for example to post #60 and start to do step-by-step work.
Put LNB for 19,2*E in the very middle, catch satellite, put another LNB on rail mark 20 for 0,8*W (left side looking from back of antenna) and changing only skew of T90 catch 0,8*W. Skew should be approximately 13* towards East.

sonnetpete said:
I can't understand why the dish won't tilt to 104° I wouldn't worry about the signal dropping slightly on 19°E, you can make small adjustments to the LNB skew's when you have them all in place. As Rima says, put an LNB on the bar for 0.8°W and tilt the dish (as you would turn a steering wheel) till you get a signal from that sat. Don't confuse yourself with LNB skew and dish skew. I've found a pictorial explanation which may help you :

_http://www.wavefrontier.us/materials/T90 Easy Guide.pdf

cheers guys

I gave up in the end. This how far I got

At 90 I got 85/70 singal on 19.2E at 0

When I started to move the skew towards 104 the signal started to drop until it go nothing at 104.

I went back again slowing and worked out that the best I could get was around 98-100 skew and strenght at best was 80/50-55ish on 19.2E.

Somethiong is not right as the dish turns real nice like a wheel as the dish is tightly screwed into place so nothing else moves.

The reading of 80/50ish is without the lnb being altered.

So back to the drawing board - I am going to reread post 60 again and try the route mentioned.

Just a bit of a pian