My vu+ solo has arrived. Can someone please give me some pointers

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Discoseeker said:
Thanks wod, been years since I used an FTP client, I shall be very rusty. I'll give it a try later and attempt to get my head around all the things I need to to be able to set up my viewing card with the box.

Why not download a frontend program that has everything built into it for you, head over to Goldwafers in the Vu+ section and grab it saves a lot of hassle

Vu.jpg

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
digi247 said:
Why not download a frontend program that has everything built into it for you, head over to Goldwafers in the Vu+ section and grab it saves a lot of hassle

That would be a better idea actually, I've been out of it all for a while and thought you still needed separate program's.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
B sky B package on squarial
My Location
Derbyshire
Thanks, I'll look at that. I've been playing with skins and also set up the cross epg plug in. I'm struggling getting an easy interface (similar to just pressing a button and getting an on screen epg like "tv guide" in s+) but I'm happy to persevere. Also, trouble getting the solo to browse the network for media? Is there something ibvious I should do to work through viewing video files on a shared drive, I previously used tversity and a ps3, one reason to get the solo as the ps3 was only ever used to watch movies and iplayer..

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
wod said:
thought you still needed separate program's.
You do. In that program if you click on the FTP button it just opens Filezilla. You still need to know the configuration of the Linux box to make it connect... and you still need to know how Filezilla works, and the directory structure of the image.

In my opinion using a program like that is just adding another layer of unnecessary complexity.

TBH, I think what has turned this into a 5 page epic is trying to run before learning to walk. If he just decided on one image, loaded it and forgot about plugins he'd have been up and running on FTA channels ages ago. Then it would just be a case of FTPing a softcam to the receiver and running the IPK installer (in VIX you can do this from the remote without and PC knowledge) to install it. Put the sub card in the slot and he'd have a working setup. No plugins are need and there'd be no unnecessary bulk to make his receiver unstable.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
You do. In that program if you click on the FTP button it just opens Filezilla. You still need to know the configuration of the Linux box to make it connect... and you still need to know how Filezilla works, and the directory structure of the image.

In my opinion using a program like that is just adding another layer of unnecessary complexity.

TBH, I think what has turned this into a 5 page epic is trying to run before learning to walk. If he just decided on one image, loaded it and forgot about plugins he'd have been up and running on FTA channels ages ago. Then it would just be a case of FTPing a softcam to the receiver and running the IPK installer (in VIX you can do this from the remote without and PC knowledge) to install it. Put the sub card in the slot and he'd have a working setup. No plugins are need and there'd be no unnecessary bulk to make his receiver unstable.

I totally disagree, First off that program was written for beginners who have no telnet knowledge and FTP knowledge and to say it adds complexity is rubbish.

You know yourself to run telnet you have to run a command window and execute commands just to get it running, with that programme you just click the telnet button and it opens a telnet window for you ready for a command.

Also there is not only Vix that can install softcams via the Menu IPK installer blackhole has the same layout near enough in fact it takes 3 button presses to install an IPK file.

And the quote about just sticking the Sub card into the slot and its up and running dont make me laugh, had you not forget about getting his boxkey that is needed to be input into a CCcam.cfg file for this to run.

The only remark i agree on here is that someone new to a linux machine should walk before they can run and what i mean by this is read as many forum articles on the basic principles of how the receiver works before actually purchasing one.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
digi247 said:
I totally disagree, First off that program was written for beginners who have no telnet knowledge and FTP knowledge and to say it adds complexity is rubbish.

You know yourself to run telnet you have to run a command window and execute commands just to get it running, with that programme you just click the telnet button and it opens a telnet window for you ready for a command.
Like you say it just opens a telnet window. So now instead of opening a telnet window from the start menu you are opening a telnet window from a piece of third party software. How does that make things easier?

digi247 said:
Also there is not only Vix that can install softcams via the Menu IPK installer blackhole has the same layout near enough in fact it takes 3 button presses to install an IPK file.
I wasn't making a comparison with any other image in particular, I was just saying how simple it is in VIX.

digi247 said:
And the quote about just sticking the Sub card into the slot and its up and running dont make me laugh, had you not forget about getting his boxkey that is needed to be input into a CCcam.cfg file for this to run.
Well it is as simple as that. If you haven't got premium channels a completely empty CCcam.cfg will work fine. And Oscam can decrypt premium channels without a boxkey so just a standard set of config files would get you up and running.

TBH, I think what makes owning a Linux box so daunting is that there are so many complicated solutions to get such a simple job done. And in this case that simple job is just to watch a few subscription channels on 28E.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Thanks for all your inputs on this, I admit to being a little ambitiously be on this one but it has been quite a challenge just to trawl the forums for the very simplest of queries to be answered. I felt rather than piece together bits and bats from all over the web and from different sources on the forums I would try to keep all the questions in one place, that way any advice could be "argued" or discussed in detail without me duplicating on contradicting one piece of advise over another.
Status thus far is that I've ditched bh for VIX, I had to reload anyway because I lost the EPG and it would not reload, do I thought id give VIX a bash. I like it, it's more intuitive or logical as the select button zaps rather than the red. More like the tv, and old sky box. It was late last night once I'd got the thing up and channels on again but straight away I had EPG, on every channel. Easier than bh. So tonight I shall continue to learn to walk. Thanks again and please continue to be patient with this noob

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Discoseeker said:
be patient with this noob
EPG should work fine in both images. VIX is pretty good out of the box though. What my point really was above was keep it simple. Don't loaded lots of third party software and plugins. And stick to one image and work at it until you get it configured. Changing images just means all the time you spent trying to config the previous image is completely wasted. Personally I'd stick with VIX or BH as there are so many people on the forum able to give you advice on one or the other.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
I do expect that tonight I'll be trying to get my sky card working in it and that's all for today :)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Discoseeker said:
I do expect that tonight I'll be trying to get my sky card working in it and that's all for today :)
That's pretty simple. Read the sticky in the VIX Vu+ Duo forum and if you have any trouble I'll try to help you out.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Huevos said:
That's pretty simple. Read the sticky in the VIX Vu+ Duo forum and if you have any trouble I'll try to help you out.

thanks huevos, i'm struggling finding the sticky you refer to, is it within satellites forum or elsewhere? cheers

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Discoseeker said:
thanks huevos, i'm struggling finding the sticky you refer to, is it within satellites forum or elsewhere? cheers
I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to another satellite forum here. Can someone confirm?

Anyway to start off FTP CCcam .ipk file to /tmp

You can get the cam from: _http://www.4shared.com/get/Di1I6cyF/enigma2-plugin-cams-cccam230_1.html

Once you have FTPed it to the /tmp directory go to:
Menu -> setup -> vix -> script runner and select the file you just FTPed to your receiver.
Then right click on your desktop and create a text file named CCcam.cfg and FTP it to /etc

Start the cam (blue button -> softcam manager). Also set it to autostart.

That is enough to get you up and running on non-premium channels.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As long as it's of value and not in any way detrimental.

Seems fine to me, H.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
cheers, i'm about to start tinkering... so again i ask. which software should i use to FTP? a name of an application will do even if you aren't allowed to tell me where to get it or which version it is . . . . jeepers

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
i've just downloaded dcc, its not in english so something i'm already struggling with is made even harder... boo hoo :'(

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I use Filezilla. I'm not saying this is better than anything else, just means it will be easier for me to help if you use the same. DCC should be fine though.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
ok, i'm doing it in foreign... so PLEASE, i can't find the temp folder... where is it?

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
is it "var/volatile/tmp" ?

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
ok, bear with me, think it's sorted. wasnt quite where you said in the setup. fingers crossed