Which C-BAND lnb, 5g ?

Lion Lion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1 m q band
My Location
London
I don't have room for a C-band antenna. I have a 3.7-4.2 LNB. But I don’t have a 3.8-4.2 3.9-4.2 LNB. If you want to try it I'll give it to you for free.View attachment 153945
Where in the UK to buy this lnb with 5g filter from and how much is it ?

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.

I did a quick google search and didn't see any UK suppliers. Used items might pop up on ebay occasionally.
** A point to note: - Re: the UK, C band reception hurdles in general over the last two years or so have increased dramatically with the introduction of very strong 5G cell tower transmissions ranging from 3.8GHz downwards causing massive problems for C band hobbyists if you happen to live close by to one of these cells.

ArloG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
12' Fiberglass Dish, C2W & Geosat Pro lnbf, Titanium ASC-1, Osmio4k, Zgemma H7 Client
My Location
N. Central PA, USA
Thoughts on 5G that have been discussed elsewhere.
If 5G is highly invasive. Such as would be the case if the dish in inline with cell towers.
An LNBF with built in filters perform better. As the interference is notched internally prior to mixing and IF conversion.
The Titanium Satellite LNBF's are built just for that.
Side lobe interference is an issue. Before 5G, satellites being weak in signal would not give side lobe issues.
But provide a strong enough interference (5G). Line of sight towers and a dish aimed off axis of them still presents interference.

I would like to see spectrum analyzer graphs that demonstrate this. Starting with the dish aimed in line with a tower. And the dish then swept across it's arc. Hopefully showing a decrease in 5G strength until the dish side lobe again showed an increase in the specific freq. range. Geeks? Bring it on!

External, 'hang on' 5G filters do work. With the expected insertion loss and decreased overall signal.
But a good idea if you have a dual output 3.4-4.2 GHz LNBF. You could hang a filter on one output and use a diseqc or 22 kHz switch to select your desired output signal. Or if you have a dual tuner receiver.

Metal cages around dishes are an extreme solution. And they work. Common on microwave dishes on towers are extended dish-rim metal rings that solve side interference. For a C band install they certainly would work. Combined with careful scalar adjustments. I'm not so sure about offset fed setups. For a prime focus dish there will be a marginal improvement in off axis interference reduction.
I guess you could fashion up a 12' cantenna if you so desired..

Lion Lion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1 m q band
My Location
London
What is current active range of 5g band in the uk ?
I want to order customised 3.625-4.2 ghz external pass filter . How bad will it decrease overall signal ?
I want to get 3.665 transponder from express am7 satellite .
Cheers

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I want to order customised 3.625-4.2 ghz external pass filter . How bad will it decrease overall signal ?
Cheers

The signal levels from those Russian frequencies from Express AM7 are very strong.
Personally, I would try to receive them using any old cheap C-Band LNBF that covers the frequencies you want, the signals are so strong you might not need a 5G filter.

If the frequency you want is not receivable with a cheap non 5G LNBF then you can look at buying more expensive hardware including external band pass filters.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Cheers
Post 42 from one of our C-band experts mentions 3800 downwards. However as demand for mobile 5G increases in the next few years its a certainty that more spectrum will be handed over by Ofcom

3665 is a multistream frequency - does your receiver support multistream?

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Cheers

A good oversight of 5G info here - Update on 5G Spectrum in the UK - AWTG LTD
In my village, North Nottinghamshie, 5G cell towers started to operate in the 3.6 to 3.7GHz area and the first tower was about a mile away and did present my 2.2m PF antenna reception with some C band reception problems around 3.65Ghz.
As off today, i have about at least four cell sites around me that radiate 5G signals ranging from 3.6 to 3.8GHz , the closest is only 300 mtrs away and the furthest is nearly three quarters of a mile away.
They between them have/ are causing massive C band reception problems for me.
After many hours of testing various filters / lnb combinations to try and get a reasonable outcome, I currently use an ALGA RED 3.82~4.2GHz External 5G filter in front of a Norsat 5150F DRO lnb on my 2.2m Elite PF antenna. There is a slight amount of insersion loss with using the filter and is especially noticable when trying to lock low level DX signals-previously not a problem pre-5G cell activity . I'll take a look at that Exp AM7 sat you mentioned and get an idea of the strength of the signal for us in the UK.
The 5G cells are breeding like rabbits and are getting to be everywhere around large villages and towns etc.....

Last edited:

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
A good oversight of 5G info here - Update on 5G Spectrum in the UK - AWTG LTD
In my village, North Nottinghamshie, 5G cell towers started to operate in the 3.6 to 3.7GHz area and the first tower was about a mile away and did present my 2.2m PF antenna reception with some C band reception problems around 3.65Ghz.
As off today, i have about at least four cell sites around me that radiate 5G signals ranging from 3.6 to 3.8GHz , the closest is only 300 mtrs away and the furthest is nearly three quarters of a mile away.
They between them have/ are causing massive C band reception problems for me.
After many hours of testing various filters / lnb combinations to try and get a reasonable outcome, I currently use an ALGA RED 3.82~4.2GHz External 5G filter in front of a Norsat 5150F DRO lnb on my 2.2m Elite PF antenna. There is a slight amount of insersion loss with using the filter and is especially noticable when trying to lock low level DX signals-previously not a problem pre-5G cell activity . I'll take a look at that Exp AM7 sat you mentioned and get an idea of the strength of the signal for us in the UK.
The 5G cells are breeding like rabbits and are getting to be everywhere around large villages and towns etc.....

All the LHC T2-MI frequencies are very strong with me in North Nottinghamshire, around 14.1 ~ 15dB on my 2.2m so as long as you haven't got a 5G cell within half a mile or so it could be a go'er for you.
**As a matter of interest, what size / type of dish are you planning to use for Cband reception.

Lion Lion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1 m q band
My Location
London
Yes I have a multi stream receiver. 1.1m triax is my dish. The signal from Express am7 is very strong and I could even get some transponders without 5g filter but the signal is breaking up with 5g interference. I am in Epping Essex CM16
In my area only vodafone is broadcasting nasty 5g at the moment and I see no masts in visible range around

Lion Lion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1 m q band
My Location
London
For The customised debugged 3.625-4.2 ghz band external filter, feedhorn with single polarity lnb setup I am looking at around £200 delivered from china

Lion Lion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1 m q band
My Location
London
They can make custom pass band 5g filter anything from 3.4 to 4.2 ghz

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
For The customised debugged 3.625-4.2 ghz band external filter, feedhorn with single polarity lnb setup I am looking at around £200 delivered from china

Ok , thanks for the information.
Other forum members in the past who have also shown interest in this idea will be interested in how you get on with the install of the feed onto the Triax dish and what method of obtaining the LHC polarity alongside some decent resolution pictures.
It sounds like you might be lucky at the moment with not having any visable 5G cells around you, if they are a good three quarters of a mile away or more you stand a decent chance of some results.
I started off a couple of years ago with the low range of Chinese External filters when 5G around 3.65GHz started around us here locally and to be honest they were quite good and well made for the price and had low insersion loss but unfortunately the transmission frequencies started to creep up to about 3.8GHz and the new cell towers got nearer and nearer to my Cband install .
Attached is a few pics of the simple test rigs on my window cill, pointed at the 5G tower 300mtrs away to get a rough idea of how the filters will cope with the massive strength of the 5G signals.
To save you taking your new filter apart, there's a pic of a 3.9~4.2GHz Chinese filter internals with the lid off - the lower freq range are identical but have two more tuning slugs fitted and tuned to suit the range, and the final choice at the moment of the ALGA RED filter & Norsat lnb combined weight.
The silver metal sticky back tape is applied on the mating joints to add extra ingress rejection of the 5G signals getting into the lnb which has proven to be effective when you have a tower 300 mtrs away.
Good luck with it all.
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

IMG_2088.JPGExt 5G filter + lnb.JPGALGA RED 5G + Norsat weight.jpg

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
They can make custom pass band 5g filter anything from 3.4 to 4.2 ghz

A link to your filter supply would be handy - a custom range one of 3.82 ~ 4.2GHz would be interesting to see. When i enquired about a year ago to one of the suppliers they said it wasn't possible.

Lion Lion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1 m q band
My Location
London
Bowei electronics on Alibaba
Message them with your request
A link to your filter supply would be handy - a custom range one of 3.82 ~ 4.2GHz would be interesting to see. When i enquired about a year ago to one of the suppliers they said it wasn't possible.

Lion Lion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1 m q band
My Location
London
Can anyone take a look at express am7 and measure the strength of its transponders please

Lion Lion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1 m q band
My Location
London
Ok , thanks for the information.
Other forum members in the past who have also shown interest in this idea will be interested in how you get on with the install of the feed onto the Triax dish and what method of obtaining the LHC polarity alongside some decent resolution pictures.
It sounds like you might be lucky at the moment with not having any visable 5G cells around you, if they are a good three quarters of a mile away or more you stand a decent chance of some results.
I started off a couple of years ago with the low range of Chinese External filters when 5G around 3.65GHz started around us here locally and to be honest they were quite good and well made for the price and had low insersion loss but unfortunately the transmission frequencies started to creep up to about 3.8GHz and the new cell towers got nearer and nearer to my Cband install .
Attached is a few pics of the simple test rigs on my window cill, pointed at the 5G tower 300mtrs away to get a rough idea of how the filters will cope with the massive strength of the 5G signals.
To save you taking your new filter apart, there's a pic of a 3.9~4.2GHz Chinese filter internals with the lid off - the lower freq range are identical but have two more tuning slugs fitted and tuned to suit the range, and the final choice at the moment of the ALGA RED filter & Norsat lnb combined weight.
The silver metal sticky back tape is applied on the mating joints to add extra ingress rejection of the 5G signals getting into the lnb which has proven to be effective when you have a tower 300 mtrs away.
Good luck with it all.
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

View attachment 156224View attachment 156225View attachment 156226
Do you have any cheap 5g lnb to borrow for a test before I go with the expensive custom setup ?
Cheers

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Bowei electronics on Alibaba
Message them with your request

I think it might have been them that i contacted a year or so ago but i'll bare that in mind.
Do you have any cheap 5g lnb to borrow for a test before I go with the expensive custom setup ?
Cheers

I haven't but somebody else might be able to accomodate you

yang sat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
13 Hotbird
My Location
OX3
I am an enthusiast of satellite TV reception. I don't sell these devices. You will have to search online for them. If you have any requirements, feel free to bring them up. Let's discuss and see if we can come up with some good suggestions.

ArloG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
12' Fiberglass Dish, C2W & Geosat Pro lnbf, Titanium ASC-1, Osmio4k, Zgemma H7 Client
My Location
N. Central PA, USA
For John from #52.
Definitely an engineered filter that has been hand tuned to reject interference. And that's a good thing.
What would be interesting is a side by side comparison of rejection using your combination and a 3.4-4.2 GHz lnb.
I think it would be interesting for those who still own lnb's that cover the frequency range.
I could akin it to taking a photo of the sun and adjusting the f-stop to expose the image correctly or placing a filter (your setup) before the lens to attenuate light.
What isn't touted by lnb, lnbf manufacturers is if the 5G filtering is applied before the low noise amplifier semiconductor, in between it and the mixer. Or after, but before the coaxial cable connector.
But your Alga filter settles any doubt any day of the week.