Is Anyone Still Using A 9100?

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
88cm dish, 4 LNBs, diseq switch, Technomate TM-4100 receiver
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
I also grep'd all files that had a reference to the satellites.xml file. It took some time :-( but you can see from the screenshot that the "enigma" executable has references to the satellites.xml file.

I probably should have asked this question before I ran it but too late now :-( Anyhow, what is the "enigma" command? I ran it and I got a load of stuff on the console and then it sits as though its waiting to do something! I've been reading around and it seems to be an open source project but details of what it actually does seem difficult to come by, especially since a lot of the information on the project forum is in German! Hopefully by running the "enigma" command I haven't gone and buggered anything up.

upload_2014-1-16_9-43-34.png

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
I just checked the contents of /var and there is no /var/share directory:

upload_2014-1-16_11-8-45.png

So are you saying that I should make /var/share or /var/share/tuxbox directories and place the satellites.xml file there?

When you say: "The same structure as in the image except for /var as prefix.", are you referring to what is under the /share directory:

upload_2014-1-16_11-14-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-16_11-11-54.png
    upload_2014-1-16_11-11-54.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 43

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
If all I needed to do was place the satellites.xml file in the /var/etc directory then maybe I'm just missing a final step like loading the file! Apart from doing a scan across the satellites in the satellites.xml file do I need to trigger something so that it looks in this new /var/etc/ location for the satellites.xml instead of the old place, /share?

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Just for testing, generate a minimal xml from h||p://satellites-xml.eu/ , pick only a single satellite. Without scanning, enter setup -> transponder edit and see what you got there. If there's only that single satellite then you know that you've found the right place for the file.

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Battenfan and Nano,

your tips worked. I limited satellites.xml to 1 satellite and opened the receiver's setup and guess what- yes, I only saw 1 satellite. Then I changed the satellites.xml to contain 2 satellites and checked the setup again and hey presto, there were 2 satellites. So I now know that the new satellites.xml file is being picked up and have increased the number of satellites in the file to 4 - (28.2E, 19.2E, 13E and 5W).

The problem I have now is that when I do an automatic scan on the 4 satellites I do not get all channels for all satellites. Some of the lists are more complete than others, for example Astra 28.2E is pretty comprehensive but Hot Bird 13E has almost no channels and on Astra 19.2E I get some channels and a list of transponder frequencies which would indicate to me that these were not even found. Could this be an alignment problem? I hope not because I paid a guy lot of money to align the 4 LNBs on my dish!

Is there also a best reliable site for getting the correct frequency/Symbol-rates/etc for transponders? I have been using http://www.lyngsat.com but I noticed that when I look at other sites the settings don't always match up.

In fact one of the important channels I wanted to get was Rai YoYo, which is a kids TV channel, for my sons that need to hear Italian if they're ever to understand there maternal in-laws!

Thanks for all your help.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Have you set the receiver to Network Scan when scanning the satellites. It usually helps to fill in some of the gaps.

Nano

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks Nano, I didn't even notice the Network Scan option before, probably because I didn't know what it did!

I'll try it this evening and will let you know whether it helps to resolve some of those unresolved transponder entries!

By the way, when I scan the Hotbird 13E, it tells me that it can't get a lock at all on any of the transponders! What does that mean?

Thanks.

A nonymous

Reaction score
It probably means the satellites XML list is wrong or you receiver isn't switching to teh right lnb or theer is a fault with the lnb. Its just guess. Its hard to diagnose a problem unless your there.

Nano

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
I ended up getting the guy that aligned the LNBs on my dish out to check the whole setup. He brought his own expensive sat finder/receiver. He plugged it in and he got all the channels on Hotbird 13E that I don't. So by our powers of deduction the problem must lie with my Technomate TM-9100 receiver. I know the satellites.xml file is being picked up and contains all the correct transponders. The guy reckons that the settings in the linux software might be messed up and suggested I reset it back to the factory settings. He couldn't diagnose anything specific but put the blame down to my receiver, which seems pretty reasonable given that all the channels are picked up on his sat finder/receiver. Is there anything more I can do besides update the satellites.xml file? Do I need to install a new version of the software? If so how do I go about that? What is the software I need to install/update? I've heard the name of "Enigma" floating around but I'm not entirely sure what it is! Any help would be a great help before I go and spend another few hundred on a receiver that works!

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
Hi Sean. I am still using this box when I can be bothered to turn the TV on. I usually don't worry about what the box can scan and instead download the channel lists from vhannibal or similar. Theres even a plugin that does it automatically. I am running the EDG-Nemesis image on it still as I found it to be the best to my liking. Don't throw it - its a ok SDef linux box!

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Martin, thanks for giving me some hope. I won't throw it away just yet and will persevere a little longer. I just looked at http://www.vhannibal.net/ and see that there are settings for Enigma 1 and Enigma 2. How do I know what is running on my receiver? I downloaded the Vhannibal Hot Bird 13°E settings for Enigma 2 and the result was a file called Vhannibal E2 Hot Bird 29 gen.rar. When I open this file I see multiple files, (see below). Is the satellites.xml file the only important one or do I need to worry about all the other files too? If so where do I copy all these files to?

upload_2014-1-31_9-50-22.png

Thanks,

Seán

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
One other thing, you say you are using the EDG-Nemesis image! where do I get this from? What does it do? Do I have to install it on my receiver?

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
I found where all those .tv and .radio files go - in the /var/tuxbox/config/enigma and /var_init/tuxbox/config/enigma directory so I copied them across from the file I downloaded from vhannibal.net site. I just tried a new rescan on my receiver but I still get the same message "All transponders were scanned but no lock was possible - no new channels/services found, check your LNB setup and connections"! I know that the LNB setup and connections are working fine because the guy from the shop was able to get all the channels on his sat finder/receiver. Man this is painful! Maybe I need to install this Nemesis software!

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Rai Yoyo is scrambled here. Do you have a subscription?
I don't know 9100 but if it's SD them it's probably Enigma 1.
Some transponders are in S2 so you might need another receiver for them.

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
Looking for a deco network you have TM 9100 as compared to the DB7020, this tuner is Enigma1, can not use emulations or channel lists for Enigma2.
Supports only SD channels using a channel editor as DreamBoxEdit to load the tuner channels, has to be done in the proper place and then refresh the files (you do from the same program), if not done right, does not activate new files / changes and continue with the old.
Also worth Dreamset is another channel editor.

No end to be clear, the antenna has multiple LNB fitted by a professional, you use a DiSEqC switch multiple inputs, you'll have to configure the tuner just to commute the LNB's, if not set, it is normal the problem when looking for channels.

I know the little deco and you can tell.
Good luck and sorry for the translations.
------------------------------------------------
Mirando por la red el deco que tienes TM 9100 lo comparan con la DB7020, este sintonizador es Enigma1, no puedes usar emulaciones ni listas de canales para Enigma2.
Solo soporta canales SD, usa un editor de canales como DreamBoxEdit para cargar los canales al sintonizador, se tiene que hacer en su sitio correcto y luego recargar los ficheros (lo haces desde el mismo programa), si no se hace bien, no activa los nuevos ficheros/cambios y continua con los viejos.
Tambien vale DreamSet, es otro editor de canales.

No termino de tener claro, la antena tiene varios LNB ajustados por un profesional, utilizas un conmutador DiSEqC de varias entradas, tendras que configurar el sintonizador igual para que conmute los LNB's, si no esta configurado, , es normal el problema cuando buscas canales.

No conozco el deco y poco mas te puedo decir.
Suerte y perdon por la traduccion.

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Tururu, thanks for the help. Please forgive me for my delayed response but I have been away for a while and this is the first opportunity I have had.

So if I understand correctly, are you saying that I should use the Enigma 1 settings for my TM-9100? I can not find any documentation that says the TM-9100 only supports SD channels.

Also I have only found 2 directories where all the .tv and .radio files go:
/var/tuxbox/config/enigma
/var_init/tuxbox/config/enigma

I hope this is correct.

If the enigma 1 settings do not work I am at the end of my patience with this stuff and can only think to buy a new receiver. There again someone did mention something about Nemesis - whatever that is - maybe I should look in to it!

SeanOg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin, Ireland
Battenfan,
Rai YoYo is apparently free on Eutelsat 5W:

upload_2014-2-13_17-14-5.png

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Free, but generally not receivable: Those Multi-streams are not simple to open.