My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
Nothing to do with that as the satellite is line-of-sight. Can we have a photo looking towards the satellite that shows there is no blocking object? And don't move on to the next step until we have this 19E LNB nailed. Also get the skew of the 19E LNB correct. Once you have the dish at 104 stand in front of the dish and the cable should be exiting the LNB almost vertical (probably about 32 minutes around the clock). Experiment with the LNB depth too.

here is some more pictures

hope this helps

The pictures are a quick scan across the sky what the dish would be looking at

The picture of the dish at 104 nothing blocking it. the trussel thing in front of it is about a foot under the dish

I also checked the lnb, i'st at the back of end of the bar so its fixed close to the wire end

Attachments

• SAM_3924.jpg
    SAM_3924.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 79
  • SAM_3925.jpg
    SAM_3925.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 76
  • SAM_3926.jpg
    SAM_3926.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 76
  • SAM_3927.jpg
    SAM_3927.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 88
  • SAM_3928.jpg
    SAM_3928.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 95

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
On your last picture it seems, at least to me, that central LNB is not placed on "0" mark and it simply has wrong direction. It should be perpendicular to the rail. And, for sure, there are no obstacles towards satellites. You simply need more time to practice.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
RimaNTSS said:
On your last picture it seems, at least to me, that central LNB is not placed on "0" mark and it simply has wrong direction. It should be perpendicular to the rail. And, for sure, there are no obstacles towards satellites. You simply need more time to practice.

it was on 0 but as I started to skrew it - thats how it finished in the position to get be snrs in the 70s and less

I know its not perfect - a few more days of playing around yet

that's why I got that flower pot dish up, like H suggested for 28, while I tweak the main dish

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
For clarity's sake, "skew" when applied to an LNB refers to it's 'twist' in the holder (E.G. straight down would be six o'clock). Heuvos wrote that the LNB for 19°E would be at '32 minutes past' or just to the left of vertical looking at the rear of the LNB. Skew does not apply to moving the LNB left and right away from the dish focus. If you are getting best signals where it is, it would suggest that the dish needs re aligning slightly. However, I'd wait for either Huevos or Rima to confirm my suggestion.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
fully agree with sonnetpete; seems that you have to adjust azimuth of antenna, just to have align it to central satellite.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
RimaNTSS said:
fully agree with sonnetpete; seems that you have to adjust azimuth of antenna, just to have align it to central satellite.

....but make sure the central (19°E) LNB is pointing to the centre of the sub reflector.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
The LNB depth is maybe 2 inches incorrect. The holders are on the wrong side of the guide bar. If you had followed Hakon's advice and started with the original holders you would never have made this mistake.

Attachments

• Multi-Connects.jpg
    Multi-Connects.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 96
  • T90-LNB-rail.jpg
    T90-LNB-rail.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 91

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
cheers guys

I going back up there later today and a couple of hours over the weekend - I will start off with moving the holder first and see what results I get. If I get the same then will move onto the dish with a slight Az nudge.

Anyone found out where I can check if the 70-80% snr is the normal for Caerphilly/North Cardiff. I might go and check with a neighbour to see what their snr is with their sky dish.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
godzillafan said:
....I will start off with moving the holder first and see what results I get...

Hmm well.....if it were me I'd start by moving the holder to the other side of the guide bar as Heuvos advised (so that it places the LNB closer to the sub reflector).

Right now the position of the LNB is only using part of the dish to receive a signal. Place the LNB so that it sits in the middle of your guide bar (that may be what you've called '0' but by now I'm confused) and points at the middle of your sub reflector and therefore logically at the centre of your dish. It shouldn't need to be swung left or right, keep it straight and nudge the azimuth of the dish for the best signal. You may also need to nudge the elevation. Hopefully on 19°E you should get much better results. Don't be tempted to do anything further to the LNB after completing this stage until you can post your improved results on here.

Obviously, you'd have to take the VU+ and connect it up to your neighbours dish as a comparison. Frankly I'd be temporarily moving the mini dish to 19°E (unless you get objections from the rest of the family) and seeing what SNR you get. I set up a mini dish here yesterday and got 77% SNR from 19°E (the reading was from my meter)

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
yes sorry I meant move the lnb holder to the position H said.

I have all weekend to do this so will be updates on here.

I know this will be cracked soon

lanab

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.20m Offset, Azbox ME
My Location
Sweden
As H said you have the LNB holder installed the wrong way, the LNB is too far away from the subreflector right now which is causing lower signal, turn the holder around so the LNB gets closer to the sub as you can see in your pic below.

Attachments

• SAM_3928.jpg
    SAM_3928.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 77

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Thanks Guys

Just got back from a trip to ikea - no sat stuff there!

Yes had goot look at the pics and going back up there to readjust the holders.

Will post updates shortly, making sure I make use of this good weather

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
sonnetpete said:

great stuff better hit the shed got loads of ikea bits and bobs over the years.

Right quick update

76% is best result I got after 30mins of 'tweaking'

Moved the A and E back and forth until I lost signal each way. I moved the dish up few mms at a time until I reached loss and then back down until loss. Then moved it to achieve best signal position.
I moved the dish left and right the same way until signal is lost both ways. Then got the signal to the best position.

This was before I had moved the metal holder to H's position and moved the lnb over the bar and close to the dish, again like the pics.

The signal was 70-76/77% snr

I then tweaked the lnb skew both ways (to make sure I was not looking at the wrong). Basically when I went one way I lost the signal - from centre when I went the other way the signal increased until it peaked at 76% snr

I am tunning them in now to see what they look like on both receivers

more on this shortly.

S - was the 70%'s the best you got for 19e for the snr?

UPDATE 14.45

I just went through the transponder list and signal snr rates and they are moving from 75-85% snr signals, that is the best i have ever got - never had a 85% before!

Tunning into the TV now and will update shortly

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
godzillafan said:
..S - was the 70%'s the best you got for 19e for the snr?...

When I lashed up the mini dish and took the reading from my meter it was 76%SNR. That's usually a bit lower than the SNR on the VU+

Don't confuse moving the LNB left and right in it's bar holder with skew, which is rotating the LNB like a clock hand. If you haven't done this try again and see if you can get an increase. Also move the LNB in and out towards the sub reflector to see if there is an increase. If you're confident that azimuth and elevation are peaked up perhaps you should tighten up the dish bolts so you don't move it inadvertantly when tweaking the LNB.

I have goats and chickens to feed now but may have time after to try a slightly larger dish on 19°E, it may give you a better idea of signal levels.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
sonnetpete said:
When I lashed up the mini dish and took the reading from my meter it was 76%SNR. That's usually a bit lower than the SNR on the VU+

Don't confuse moving the LNB left and right in it's bar holder with skew, which is rotating the LNB like a clock hand. If you haven't done this try again and see if you can get an increase. Also move the LNB in and out towards the sub reflector to see if there is an increase. If you're confident that azimuth and elevation are peaked up perhaps you should tighten up the dish bolts so you don't move it inadvertantly when tweaking the LNB.

I have goats and chickens to feed now but may have time after to try a slightly larger dish on 19°E, it may give you a better idea of signal levels.

We are going to be feeding on some chickens later today, but thats another story..

OK still was not happy with the results so went back up there and redid the holder to get it as plumb as I could ontop of the 0 and took some photos so you all can confirm if thats the best I am going to get over the 0.

I then moved it back and forth again and moved the holder up and down and until I managed to get 85% snr! Ttightened the screws as soon as I hit this and went through the transponders and the results were 70-85% snr.

Tuned it in and this was the results with the S9HD.

AtreHD 85%
ZDF HD 85%
ANIXE HD 85%

and then a whole load of them at 70-80%'s and a couple at the 50-60%snr's.

So updating on everything and doing what everyone has being saying about getting the bar correct. Those tweaks have got me ZDF HD at 85%!

I have tried to move it back and forth after that but no more increases.

What would be my next steps?

I am going back up to check the bolts are tight as i dont want to lose these figures.

Attachments

• SAM_3934.jpg
    SAM_3934.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 72
  • SAM_3933.jpg
    SAM_3933.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 73
  • SAM_3932.jpg
    SAM_3932.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 67
  • SAM_3931.jpg
    SAM_3931.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 66

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Well, my experiment with another dish was pretty pointless other than to prove I need to make another flylead for my meter!!

I think your signals are about as good as you're going to get. Have you tried 19°E on the VU+ so you can compare it with before? I'm not familiar with the S9HD and it may not have a very sensitive tuner.

Next steps? I'd leave it till tomorrow then try to fix your far end LNB's and maybe 28°E in case someone knocks the plantpot dish over. :)

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
sonnetpete said:
Well, my experiment with another dish was pretty pointless other than to prove I need to make another flylead for my meter!!

I think your signals are about as good as you're going to get. Have you tried 19°E on the VU+ so you can compare it with before? I'm not familiar with the S9HD and it may not have a very sensitive tuner.

Next steps? I'd leave it till tomorrow then try to fix your far end LNB's and maybe 28°E in case someone knocks the plantpot dish over. :)

Thanks S

I was waiting for your reply.

Going back up to recheck the bolts before I call it a day and change the wire to tune the vu+.

This give me all the info I need to prove I can move on to the next step.

The flower pot is going strong at the moment, the wife hates it as its the mint pot and we just got the seeds to plant!

Will update again shortly with the Vu+ results

cheers

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
HI Guys

Friday afternoon 5pm and amazing weather out there.

OK here is the last update of the day.

After loads of tweaks and moves etc and some photos to show position of the lnb holders on 0.

Here are the SNR results from the Vu+ Solo 19E

Anixe SD 88%
Anixe HD 92%
ZDF SD 93%
ZDF HD 98%
ARTE SD 91%
ARTE HD 98%
Eurosport Deutschland 92%
Sixx 90%

1524 services loaded after scan

No way I am going to beat H's results, but is this any good?

What would be the next step for tomorrow as I promised the family a morning dayout and then I get a hour or two in the afternoon with the dish!

Bearing in mind I would like to tune in 28E - as the wife wants her mint flower pot back!

cheers guys again for that great advice - can't of done any of this without you

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
What would be my next steps?
Like I've said all the way through, get an original holder and find out if your central LNB is correctly positioned. This is before adding any other LNB to the bar. Right now your central lnb is a centimeter too low, i.e. well below the focal point. Did you read the assembly instructions I posted? Did you use an angle gauge as it shows? If you don't get the LNB at the focal point you are wasting your time doing anything else.

As a kid did you ever experiment at burning things using a magnifying glass to focus the sun's rays. Not much chance of success if you moved the magnifying glass just a few millimeters from the focal point, let alone centimeters.

Also it's plainly obvious (to me at least) that something is very wrong if the Vu+ SNR is any less than 99% on ZDF HD.

Attachments

• T90-LNB-height.jpg
    T90-LNB-height.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 60