My first toroidal 90 multi dish install with 20 lnbs

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
SP, following on from the other thread: Strange as it seems he did manage to... maybe you could suggest a quad that will then...

You can't use any LNB with a hanging body with the type of clamps Godzilla fan is using. If you did either the skew would be out or you could never push it forward to the focal point.

20140411_210331_resized.jpg

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
SP, following on from the other thread: Strange as it seems he did manage to... maybe you could suggest a quad that will then...

You can't use any LNB with a hanging body with the type of clamps Godzilla fan is using. If you did either the skew would be out or you could never push it forward to the focal point.

Well firstly thanks for taking the trouble to illustrate that with a photo. TBH, I did wonder how a quad Ultra would fit on the T90 set up. Maybe that explains why there's been a negative result from the Ultra. I suppose it goes to prove how much compromise is needed when setting up something like this where you're trying to hang 20 lnb's on one dish. Is there a quad you could suggest which would allow some skew adjustment?

@ Godzillafan : Do you absolutely have to have a quad for 28E? If so you may want to think about a smaller (i.e. unobtrusive, wife friendly) separate dish for that satellite.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
I now need to find a way to get 26e back up - maybe a ultra thin lnb or 2 ultra thin lnbs for 23.5 and 26e with a few jigging around.

The thing is a very narrow throated LNB very probably won't cut it for 26E. Possibly one will be ok for 23.5E as it's a relatively strong satellite.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset

Unless you turn it upside down. But then it might block some of the incoming signal.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Guys,

cheers for all of the input,

The 7W is still in the back burner as I am still unsure if this dish will get a signal for it from my location north of Cardiff, S.Wales (unless I redo the whole dish with a new 0 lnb sat - still up for debate on that)

currently 0-19e bar No. 19/20 is 0.8/1w and 5w is hanging on extended bar, but reasonable signals, with 28e on approx bar No. 9/10
if I do
13e -0bar - i will get 7w on no. 20 and 28e on bar 18 approx
if I do
9e on bar - I will get 7w on no. 16 and 28e on bar 20 on the edge.

Unless i get rid of 28e and stick that on a another dish? (see possible new dish location picture back3)

BUT will 7W work on the T90?

Current work

The 28E black ultra quad was to improve the 12633 signals and I manged to get that with 58%snr now coming in for premier/setannta etc and the other main choice watching channels staying at 100%.

But doing this with the back bit for the ultra quad back, I had to move my 26e, which was giving me a great signal.

The quad was also due to the fact I will be going twin tuner in the summer for the main room and another feed from the quad into the kids room, with 1 spare for future proofing.

So at the moment, I have a few more options open.

Attachments

• 11-04 back1.jpg
    11-04 back1.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 11-04 back2.jpg
    11-04 back2.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 11-04 back3.jpg
    11-04 back3.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 141

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I'm a bit confused, what do you call a "great signal" on 26E? It's a little stronger than 7W in the UK but not a lot more. What's on 7W that isn't on 26E? Or is it simply an exercise in catching as many satellites as you can? Frankly 7W on a T90 with the LNB stuck at one end in your location....well, Newcastle have more chance of qualifying for Europe.

Personally, I'd leave your 26E where it is, forget about 7W and put up a small dish for 28E as well. You can then hang a quad LNB on there and not worry about the performance too much.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Hi P.

Yip, trying to get all the birds as I can with the T90.

Just bought some dishes for a fiver from fleabay £5.

1 is a 80 and the other is a normal 60cm dish (even got the arms/bars behind). The guy is just a couple of junctions from me (10mins) and picking up monday morning.

Going to hook the 28e on one of them and get 23.5 and 26 alined proper on the t90.

But 7w still a small goal for me to see if that's achieveable in my backyard.

new pic of the dishes

Attachments

• 11-04 sat dishes.JPG
    11-04 sat dishes.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 123

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You maaaaay be able to get some 7.3w channels from Eutelsat 7w on a smaller dish but forget Nilesat... 26e is a stronger candidate...

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Unless you turn it upside down. But then it might block some of the incoming signal.
No, you couldn't turn it upside down. The rim of the dish is in the way.

No idea on a quad as I am just using singles. If he wants to use quads revert to standard holders.

To be honest, if I knew how poorly the dish was going to perform outside the manufacturer's range I probably wouldn't have started the holder project. The only positive aspect I can see is being able to get the LNBs closer together. But there are other ways this could be done anyway. Everything else about this project is negative.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I think it's been mentioned before (maybe it was you Huevos or Rima) that once to get near the edge of the T90 it's performance drops away quite steeply. I see on HM Sat they suggest a range from 42E to 7E, so 35 degrees. I'm assuming that's going to hit the 'sweet spot' of the dish. I guess it would work best if your outer LNB's were on stronger sats. I've been toying with the idea of replacing two of my dishes with a T90 to cover 19E, 23E, 28E, 36E, 39E, 42E, 45E and 53E. That's a reasonable objective I think but to go much further in terms of arc coverage is going to be pushing it unless you're prepared to accept less than perfect (and intermittent in anything less than perfect conditions) from the outer edges.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
SP, it depends on your latitude. As you get closer to the equator the satellites get further apart. Anyway on my T90 my current range is 7W to 26E. But like you say if there were high power ones just outside this range they would work ok.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Hi All,

Hope all are well,

Time to take down the T90, going to downgrade to a T55 smaller model and make some space on the wall.

Also at the same time clean up all the wiring and update my aging Vu+ Uno box too!

Will post updates on the move

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Welcome back :cool:

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Apologies, been a while, family just took over!

But, making some time to refesh the systems

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Since meeting the current SWMBO I've reverted to a single dish on a motor. The multi sat dishes, mount and switches are currently stored in the 'room of requirement' at the rear of the house. I don't miss the set up very much (going on holiday and eating out have filled the void, in some cases literally) and the motorised set up only gets occasional use.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
We have a skip outside, building a new shed and kitchen refit to do, so thought, time to make use of the skip and take the trusty old T90 down.

It had its time and served us well.

Its weathered, rusted in some bits and the lnbs are showing their age and cover in green slime!

A slightly smaller version should be fine going forward, with updated lnbs and switch.

The last 16/1 switch has had his chips!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Its weathered, rusted in some bits

From what I remember, the grade of steel used on a T90 isn't the best. I may have considered this as a factor and a reason why I went for four standard dishes instead of one..

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Well chaps, 9 years on, it was time, it came down.

Got my money's worth playing around with the T90 dish.

T55, I am guessing comes with 5 holders, so will look to downgrade to 5 sats!.

The smart lnbs, were well faded and covered in green slime as was other bits all around the dish. All sadly in the skip.

The black ultra quad 40mm idlb-quld40-ultra-opp - will check to see if its worth keeping.

Will be looking to see if single lnbs have be updated/updating in the last few years and in the market for 4 of them!

I did take some photos, can't even remember on how to post them!

Beli1910

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with diqec motor 90E -30W
Wave frontier t90 45E-5W
Triax 110-,motor
Laminas 1.8m and Laminas 120
Chanel master 125
Gibertini 150 fix
Gibertini 125
Etc....
My Location
Sevnica 8290-Slovenija
Lol, all praise to the administration and members for their patience. I wonder if this t90 is functional??? I personally made a 45E-15W rasp 10 years ago with a modification of the extended son and universal multiholders pro, but over time I withdrew the western positions because there was nothing a lot to see. 7w would be possible. at my location, if the 7w satellite had an antenna in the center, there is no other way.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I wonder if this t90 is functional???
I think T90 is a great antenna and will always be functional. Actually, toroidal antennas first introduced to the public about 20 y. ago. Could you post some pictures of your installation?