Astra 2D in Slovakia

quickdantheman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a pace 2600c1 skybox without subscription, although I do have a new white viewing card paired tot he box. I have a 105cm dish and am only recieving sky news channel 501.
My Location
SLOVAKIA (BREZNO)
Hi all (AGAIN) lol!!!

Sorry to be a pest, but my dopey relative has left me no choice but to tease your brains again.

He has left the correct card in his Skybox to "activate it".

He just emailed me to say that after being in 20hrs, he removed it it, it looks the same he reckons.

The sad and annpying bit is, that he rang SKY to complain that his card now wont work as a result.

HOW F***IN STUPID CAN YOU BE!!!

He calmly stated that they "were suspicous", yer I bet they were.

His card is now working, and he is posting me mine.

What I want to know is there any point, will sky be able to see what details etc, was on my card?

Could they have done sumthing to it, or can they do sumthing once it arrives and i drop it in my 2600c1???

Any advice peeps.:-ohcrap

PS- you know what they say, you can choose your friends...................................................O-no

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Sorry, you've totally lost me. I have no idea what card is and isn't working.

What I can say though is that unless you plug your Sky box into a phone line/internet or tell Sky where the card is, they will have no way of knowing where the card is located or even what box it is in. The link from the satellite to your box is one-way (receive only).

quickdantheman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a pace 2600c1 skybox without subscription, although I do have a new white viewing card paired tot he box. I have a 105cm dish and am only recieving sky news channel 501.
My Location
SLOVAKIA (BREZNO)
Hi mate,

I just assumed when you joined in the dialogue on thread, that you were aware of my issue.

My bro in the UK had a pace 2600c1, i have it here in slovakia.

He accidentially sent me the wrong card, as he had multiroom.

So i have his 2600c1 here and the bedroom card.

And he has his old bedroom box there with his old lounge card.

These are not in use now in the UK at all.

I am though having wrong card for this box out here where I am.

So i asked him to put the card he should have sent me in his new HD box.

So he removed his new card in the lounge box, and left mine there for 20hrs to try and wake it or update it.

He did this to try and have the card in a better state so when i get it out here it may work.

It will be going straight into its paired box, but i dont want to wait ages for it to awaken.

However as i wrote in doing it he had to call sky to get them to put the one he had back in pair with his HD box.

They are understandibly suspicous, they asked him he put an old card in his new box, when there is no issues or reason 2.

So i am afraid they will have done something to the card he is posting me???

Any ideas

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
But the thing is I don't understand why he has these "spare" cards in the first place. Normally, if you upgrade to Sky+ HD you get a new box and put the old card in the new box and tell Sky your new box number so they can pair it for the premium channels. (Since I don't have any sports or films I haven't bothered pairing mine to my new box)

Pairing those old non-subscription cards will make no difference, other than screw up your brother's viewing of Sky Sports or the Sky movie channels.

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
Oh and I'm not sure ex-multiroom cards turn in to FTV cards on expiry. Perhaps someone else can comment on this as I've never had multiroom.

quickdantheman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SLOVAKIA (BREZNO)
Hi mate,

Yer thats what happened, he has no tv at the mo, sky said it will reacivate in 24hrs.

I didnt want him to pair, it is already paired to the box i have here.

I just thought as it was not used for a month or so, it would be asleep.

And him being in the UK, i thought it made sense to have it awaken there.

Better signal, maybe a forced update, prior to sending to me.

Didnt know it would do this to his box.

Neither of us know why he has new cards either,

dan

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I am also worried about these excess cards. It just shouldn't happen. In cases like this $ly will often send out "kill" commands to extra cards. This is done when a card is lost in the post or the customer says the current one has been eaten by the dog, etc, - if the replaced card is ever put into a box it's switched off.

Similarly with multi-room subscriptions. All the boxes have to be connected to the telephone line and periodic checks are made by $ly to make sure that cards are all still in the same household by making the boxes phone in. If a card is not confirmed then the customer will be contacted to sort out the problem and, if the non-connection to the telephone line persists, then the customer can end up paying for two (or more!) full price subscriptions. I am concerned that you might end up with one of the multi-room cards.

Regardless of ALL that I think that the problem may not be easily resolvable. The only way to be absolutely sure, as I said in a previous post, is to take the box back to the UK and pair it with a card there. theoretically, you could pair it out where you are but htis relies upon your brother phoning up with all the relkevant information and behaving as though the box were in front of him. That may not work with multi-room as they may then just say "connect it to the phone line".

Frankly, if you get a card that works in your box at the end of all this it'll be a miracle!

quickdantheman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SLOVAKIA (BREZNO)
Hi there,

So i need to get another pace 2600c1, as long as it was not part of a multiroom?

Im going to the UK on the 16th, should i take my box and just buy a new white card and reg it there?

Dan

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
The box should be OK, it sounds like the cards are no good. So yeah, you might be better off just asking your brother to get you a FreeSatFromSky card for £20 or wherever it is these days and taking that back with you. But don't forget with Astra 1N starting up chances are those ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 channels on Astra 2A/2B will be moving any time now and there won't be much left soon and all you may end up with is decoding Pick TV via the Sky card...

quickdantheman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SLOVAKIA (BREZNO)
you mean i may have no TV at all on sky???)(-red

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well not $ly itself, but the Free to Air (FTA - no card needed) and FTV (Free to View - card needed) channels.

If you remember way back I said you really need to wait until 1N is in service.

quickdantheman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SLOVAKIA (BREZNO)
no need to take the box to the uk tho.

will i be able to pair the card in slovakia, if not i have to take the box no?

is pairing at all necessary

dan

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
An FTV card doesn't need pairing, only activating (which is easier to do in the UK). Once active it'll work in any Sky box.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Pairing of a new Freesat from $ly card (FFS) isn't necessary but activation of a new card is. ANY $ly box in the UK can be used and the FFS card then taken back to Slovakia. Your answer is to buy an already activated FFS card from somewhere BUT it must be a FFS card, not an expired subscription card as this will put you back where you started this thread!

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
Incidentally, your profile says "I have a 105cm dish and am only recieving sky news channel 501"? You should be getting close to 150 or so channels without a Sky card, including most of the news channels like Bloomberg, CNN, Russia Today, etc.

quickdantheman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SLOVAKIA (BREZNO)
Well i aint recieving none, i think i may need a bigger dish to-

is this a good idea-

_http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

quickdantheman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
SLOVAKIA (BREZNO)
if im gonna pay £20 for a new card, i wud at least like to activate it in the uk myself in a box of my choice.
does this again mess up the persons current card.

i wud like to do it as i would also get regional news to that postcode, no?

but i have no idea how to do it, do you? just put it in, that in, how long etc.

I really appreciate any advice, i cant find one anwhere on google though!

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
Before you start ordering new cards I think it might be a good idea to get your reception sorted out. An 80cm dish should be more than enough in your location and bring in all the Eurobird channels (many which are free to air). Is the dish aligned properly and the LNB skew correct? Any chance of some photos of the dish?

timo_w2s

Retired moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo 4K SE
Dr.HD F15
My Location
I've never activated a new FTV card so hopefully someone else can comment on that bit (all my old cards have been ex-subs).

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
FTV Cards are activated by ringing Sky (On the proper dedicated FSFS number, not the usual Sky Customer Services) and giving them the number of the Card and the number of the Box it is being activated in.

This is not pairing, but just a means of ensuring the on-air activation signal is seen.

Once activated, it will indeed work in any other box.