Leaving Sky – would like some help/advice

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky satellite dish + Windows 10 stand alone PC.
My Location
Scotland
We have used BBC iplayer and that appears OK.
Not looked at 3/4/5g, mainly because of our location – Highlands of Scotland. Sometimes it can be difficult just to get a mobile reception.
Do you know how I would go about streaming using wifi. We have a smart TV but not at all clear on how we would stream from the computer to the TV? Forgive my naivety.
I’ll have a look at the, ‘Wired’ article and take your point about visiting the local pub. Our nearest pub/hotel (6 miles away) does not show the footy nor does our next nearest town which is 12 miles away. The nearest one we can think of would be 60 miles away!

Take care.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
We have used BBC iplayer and that appears OK.
Not looked at 3/4/5g, mainly because of our location – Highlands of Scotland. Sometimes it can be difficult just to get a mobile reception.
Do you know how I would go about streaming using wifi. We have a smart TV but not at all clear on how we would stream from the computer to the TV? Forgive my naivety.
I’ll have a look at the, ‘Wired’ article and take your point about visiting the local pub. Our nearest pub/hotel (6 miles away) does not show the footy nor does our next nearest town which is 12 miles away. The nearest one we can think of would be 60 miles away!

Take care.
Depending on what type of smart tv you have will depend on how you can send the output of your computer to it. If you do a search on your TV brand you should find that out easily enough. It usually entails setting up your PC as a server and your TV as a client. In fact you could do that with your phone instead of your computer.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Depending on what type of smart tv you have will depend on how you can send the output of your computer to it. If you do a search on your TV brand you should find that out easily enough. It usually entails setting up your PC as a server and your TV as a client. In fact you could do that with your phone instead of your computer.

Thank you for posting the link to the article on Wired – most interesting and thought provoking.

We have a Sony (smart) KDL-50W807C TV. We do have a wi-fi connection. Surfing the web: doing it from the remote is VERY slow and VERY FRUSTRATING!! I have purchased a wireless mini keyboard that I hope will work. I understand that I plug the wireless dongle into one of the USB slots (on the TV) and it will instantly connect. Rii i8S+ Mini Keyboard 2.4GHz Wireless Keyboard with touchpad Backlit, Rechargeable Keyboard Multi-Media Portable for Android tv KODI XBMC PC

From a little research I believe that the Amazon fire stick can be used and controlled from my PC. And will also provide us with what we call, ‘ordinary channels/terrestrial’ TV in addition to streaming?

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Have you tried subscribing to Netflix to get an idea what your internet speed is capable of. That’s a dedicated legal streaming service without any service provider throttling. Most other options involve some form of stream throttling which with a low speed connection makes your stream unwatchable.

I reckon with such a low speed connection you’re dead in the water as far a watching EPL. Satellite would look like your only option now. Who was previously supplying your EPL services. My options here are Sky on satellite or Virgin Media on cable.

You’ll see many exotic solutions to your problem but as you’ve seen from the Wired article they come with a caveat. Might be worth checking out the Kodi forum to give you a better idea what Kodi is capable of and how to upgrade to the latest version. Kodi Community Forum

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Not tried subscribing to Netflix. I’m not sure if Netflix will get us the live terrestrial TV? Whereas I believe the Amazon Fire Stick will?
I do subscribe to Amazon Prime. Over the Christmas period they did have some football matches. It wasn’t the best… but it worked OK.
No chance with cable not where we live. We did have Sky but their subscription rates for the amount of TV we watch was far too high. Hence, we have cancelled Sky.
I’ll have a look at Kodi as you suggested. At the moment we are still sorting out storm damage caused by Corrie!

Stay safe & take care.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
You can get all the terrestrial channels via your satellite dish. If you had Sky Q you can either buy a Freesat 4K box, or change the LNB on the dish for a universal one and use any satellite receiver. If your TV is 'smart' it should have various apps built-in to use without any extra hardware.

If you've cancelled Sky they will eventually send you discount offers to return.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Cancelled Sky on Monday. Sky are sending a pre-paid label to return the Sky Q box.
From what you have said does that mean will need to buy a, ‘universal LNB’? Will not the existing LNB work. We are intending to by a Humax sat’ receiver.
Our TV does have various apps: Sony select, Netflix, Amazon Video, BBC iplayer, ITV hub, 4, My 5, Google Play, You View, Rakuten, Disney, Toon Goggles, Yupp TV, Mubi, Spotify, Berliner and Bravia and VLC for Android.
We use, 'You View' for our TV usage. The other apps don’t have the live TV.

Stay safe & take care.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Only the Freesat 4K boxes work with the Sky Q LNB so it will have to changed to work with the Humax box. Assuming you have a Sky dish a MK4 Sky Quad LNB would be a direct replacement, they cost around £14 the last time I checked.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
When the Sky engineer came with the Sky Q box – I am sure he did not change the LNB. He simply connected the cables to the box, switched it on, checked it was working and that was it.
Sounds like we would be better off buying a Freesat 4K box?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Did you previously have Sky+? The LNB used with Sky Q does not work with Sky+ and vice-versa. A Freesat 4K box would be simpler to get running.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Assuming you have a Zone 1 dish and it’s still pointed at 28.2e once you break with Sky there’s little or no chance of watching EPL, or none that I’m aware of.

For FTA on 28.2e the sky’s the limit. You may also include terrestrial broadcasts if the new STB you intend to buy does DVBS and DVBT. As far as I know BBC and ITV hub services may be receivable on the DVBT option.

As your setup currently stands EPL via satellite is not achievable as far as I am aware. I doubt the apps installed on your TV will be up to the job with your current internet service either.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
We previously had Sky+hd. It seems a Freesat 4K box is the way to go. Would you recommend any?
We can buy a Sky Sports pass (to use as and when we like) and keep out fingers crossed out internet connection remains stable.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Take a photo of the LNB if possible. We've had a few people with problems with the Freesat 4K box but a recent firmware update seems to have sorted some if not all of them. If you want to record make sure you get the one with the hard drive.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
I assume your TV is 4K compatible. Everyone here will have their own particular favourite 4K STB so all I could recommend is, if possible see if you could get a demo in person and choose which you see best for you. Plenty of reasonably priced units around to choose from. I recently purchased a GTMEDIA V8 STB and the picture is excellent for the price I paid. Setup was quite straightforward so that’s my selection for today.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Many thanks for your help - really appreciated.
I will get out tomorrow and take a photo and 'yes' we would like to use the record facility.
I'll get some research in considering the GTMEDIA V8 STB - thankyou.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Many thanks for your help - really appreciated.
I will get out tomorrow and take a photo and 'yes' we would like to use the record facility.
I'll get some research in considering the GTMEDIA V8 STB - thankyou.
The GTMEDIA V8 UHD does recording. Just add a USB drive and yes do a little research on it. Here’s a good place to start. Plenty of support for this STB GTMEDIA Forum - Index page

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
I have a Fransat Card and Cam which I'm willing to sell. Fransat carries RMC Sport which shows Premier League Football.

English Commentary can be obtained by a DAB Radio.

Offtensive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, GigaBlue UE 4K, Zone 1 28.2e, Zone 1 30W. Kathrein 1m 5W - 23E
My Location
Midlands
I have a Fransat Card and Cam which I'm willing to sell. Fransat carries RMC Sport which shows Premier League Football.

English Commentary can be obtained by a DAB Radio.
RMC Sport no longer broadcasts via satellite in Europe

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Strong winds (50mph +) and heavy rain preventing me getting out to take a photo of the LNB.
At the moment we are thinking of the Humax for receiving/recording the TV. Then purchasing a Sky sports pass as and when needed.