Leaving Sky – would like some help/advice

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky satellite dish + Windows 10 stand alone PC.
My Location
Scotland
Forgive my ignorance Ozumo. But does that mean we can receive, ‘Freesat’ TV channels and be able to record – just like a Humax?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Forgive my ignorance Ozumo. But does that mean we can receive, ‘Freesat’ TV channels and be able to record – just like a Humax?
You'll be able to receive all the Freesat channels, but you'll only be able to record the channel that is being viewed. The Humax boxes would allow you to record one channel while watching another. IIRC the Freesat 4K box can record 4 channels at once. Just using the TV's satellite tuner might be enough until the heavily discounted Sky offers turn up?

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Strong winds (50mph +) and heavy rain preventing me getting out to take a photo of the LNB.
At the moment we are thinking of the Humax for receiving/recording the TV. Then purchasing a Sky sports pass as and when needed.
Probably the best choice for all round family use and simplest too.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
The LNB is DL028

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
The LNB is DL028
Is it definitely DL028 and not EL028? How many outputs does it have? Stuggling to find any LNB with that model #. The EL028 is a hybrid LNB with six outputs, 4 of which are universal and will work with your TV (would also explain why the Sky installer didn't change the LNB ).

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Opps... sorry my fault it is EL028 with 6 connections/outputs.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Opps... sorry my fault it is EL028 with 6 connections/outputs.
You won't have to change the LNB. Any of the 4 ports not used for Sky Q will work with your TV.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Encouraging. Hit another problem now. Due to the wind speeds Sky is now reporting, ‘no satellite connection.’ My wife and I have tried experimenting by moving the satellite up/down/ right/left but no luck. We noticed the bracket that holds the LNB has broken off.
It’s b***** cold up a ladder! Think we need someone who knows what there’re doing!

Offtensive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, GigaBlue UE 4K, Zone 1 28.2e, Zone 1 30W. Kathrein 1m 5W - 23E
My Location
Midlands
Encouraging. Hit another problem now. Due to the wind speeds Sky is now reporting, ‘no satellite connection.’ My wife and I have tried experimenting by moving the satellite up/down/ right/left but no luck. We noticed the bracket that holds the LNB has broken off.
It’s b***** cold up a ladder! Think we need someone who knows what there’re doing!

One solution:
Cancel the cancellation with Sky.
Tell them you're not receiving anything at the moment and are unable to investigate outside.
They will send out an engineer to fix the issue. They should pause your subscription until the engineer resolves the issue.
Then re-cancel once resolved.

You should be able to ask for an engineer to come out without cancelling the cancellation as you are paying for a service but not receiving it.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Any chance you could relocate your dish to a more accessible location. No doubt in the wilds of the highlands this will happen again. Maybe a photo or two of your setup would help others to make helpful suggestions.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
One solution:
Cancel the cancellation with Sky.
Tell them you're not receiving anything at the moment and are unable to investigate outside.
They will send out an engineer to fix the issue. They should pause your subscription until the engineer resolves the issue.
Then re-cancel once resolved.

You should be able to ask for an engineer to come out without cancelling the cancellation as you are paying for a service but not receiving it.
They'd probably swap the hybrid LNB for a two output wideband LNB which wouldn't work with the television.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
They'd probably swap the hybrid LNB for a two output wideband LNB which wouldn't work with the television.
Personally I’d start off with a fresh dish and lnb sited in a convenient location for maintenance purposes. I’m sure the cable in situ could be rerouted for this new setup and if required using a four output lnb additional points could be added around the premises at a later date.

Offtensive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands

I should have added, you can tell them you are using a hybrid lnb as you use freesat too - the engineer will bring a replacement hybrid lnb. I did that last year, they realigned the dish, replaced the lnb and laid new cable.

@Cuddy how many wires do you having coming from the lnb into the house?

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
There are 6 wires coming from the LNB. Regarding location… could be a possibility. But we are mostly surrounded by trees. At the moment it is very windy – but will try to take a photo. We do know that the previous owner was a bit of a DIY cabling freak. There are several wires on the outside of our house. We understand that he wanted Sky tv in all the rooms – bit of a mess. Having said that the system does/did work fine. We like the idea of a fresh dish and lnb.

Another hiccup in the great scheme… we will be, ‘away’ from our house in 10 days time – visiting our grandchildren. We will not return until the first week in April. As far as I am aware the Sky installers will take 2 to 3 weeks to arrange an appointment.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
There are 6 wires coming from the LNB. Regarding location… could be a possibility. But we are mostly surrounded by trees. At the moment it is very windy – but will try to take a photo. We do know that the previous owner was a bit of a DIY cabling freak. There are several wires on the outside of our house. We understand that he wanted Sky tv in all the rooms – bit of a mess. Having said that the system does/did work fine. We like the idea of a fresh dish and lnb.

Another hiccup in the great scheme… we will be, ‘away’ from our house in 10 days time – visiting our grandchildren. We will not return until the first week in April. As far as I am aware the Sky installers will take 2 to 3 weeks to arrange an appointment.
If you go the Sky cord cutting route the Sky engineers busy schedule will be of no concern to you.

Decide how many points you need in the house, choose your lnb accordingly and assuming a Zone 1 dish will suffice it wouldn’t take you more than two hours of your own labour to get up and running.

If the Humax box you’ve chosen does DVBT as well as DVBS you’ve all bases covered.

Offtensive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands

Ask them to come asap, you’re a paying customer that is about to leave, they’ll come running down.

If your dish is old sky will install a new one for you. I didn’t need a new dish installed, but the sky engineer was happy to give me one for free - which is happily pointing at 30w now.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Trying to upload a photo but get the message, ‘The uploaded file is too large for the server to process’. Have tried to insert image (drag & drop) ‘files are still being uploaded…’ And then, ‘Opps we ran into some problems’.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
I would say a zone 2 for Scotland.

Cuddy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
My wife and I have decided to go the Sky cord cutting route. We will follow the advice and look for a DVBT & DVBS Humax. Not made any choices yet. I suppose there is no harm contacting Sky to see what they say - just feel its a wee bit naughty as we are leaving.

Offtensive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
My wife and I have decided to go the Sky cord cutting route. We will follow the advice and look for a DVBT & DVBS Humax. Not made any choices yet. I suppose there is no harm contacting Sky to see what they say - just feel its a wee bit naughty as we are leaving.
If you can, hold off from buying a new set top box for a couple of weeks. Sky will be pretty certainly reach out to you offering you a discounted rate.