duaneclaude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu solo 4K
1.2mtr cm dish
My Location
Greater Manchester
Can anyone please help me ?
This box is is on another level to what I am used to.
Finally got time to play with it and can't figure out how to input the demod line settings. I am just trying with DVB-S2 to try and get the hang of it for now, but it seems a bit different to my rx 8200.
Each time I put the lnb LO in and move to the next input it defaults back to 0.00000 and the same with symbol rate and rf fequency.
I cant understand it.
Are there some settings I need to set first ?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@duaneclaude

Perhaps if you can post some screenshots of the menu's you are working in I might be able to help?
You are correct, these type of units are a few levels higher than consumer grade receivers.

There is a trick to the demodulator line configuration where you have to press the enter key on your keyboard after changing the value, then press the save button.
It is not obvious you need to do this but it does work.

Was there any "history" from the previous user stored in the configuration menus such as the frequency it was last used on and the SR or had they done a complete factory reset?

duaneclaude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu solo 4K
1.2mtr cm dish
My Location
Greater Manchester
@duaneclaude

Perhaps if you can post some screenshots of the menu's you are working in I might be able to help?
You are correct, these type of units are a few levels higher than consumer grade receivers.

There is a trick to the demodulator line configuration where you have to press the enter key on your keyboard after changing the value, then press the save button.
It is not obvious you need to do this but it does work.

Was there any "history" from the previous user stored in the configuration menus such as the frequency it was last used on and the SR or had they done a complete factory reset?
Thanks for the reply.
Will try that trick later.
I have locked a dvbs-2 signal using the front panel already, so I know the tuner is ok, that was my first fear.
Will keep playing with it.
There was a config in the database but I deleted by mistake not really knowing what I was doing.

duaneclaude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu solo 4K
1.2mtr cm dish
My Location
Greater Manchester
Thanks for the reply.
I have locked a dvbs-2 signal using the front panel already, so I know the tuner is ok, that was my first fear.
There was a config in the database but I deleted by mistake not really knowing what I was doing.

Thanks for the reply.
Worked a treat that trick !!
Cheers mate.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Worked a treat that trick !!
Cheers mate.

You're welcome, pleased it got you sorted.
These units are not complicated to use, just a bit of a learning curve and the need to get used to more manual input compared to a consumer grade receiver.

duaneclaude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu solo 4K
1.2mtr cm dish
My Location
Greater Manchester
I managed to lock my first NS4 feed today.
Feel very pleased with myself. Lol
Think I am going to enjoy this box.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I managed to lock my first NS4 feed today.
Feel very pleased with myself. Lol
Think I am going to enjoy this box.

Which one was it?
Do you plan to share the feed parameters with the forum?

duaneclaude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu solo 4K
1.2mtr cm dish
My Location
Greater Manchester
Which one was it?
Do you plan to share the feed parameters with the forum?
Of course , if I can find any.
The one I locked was the one talked about yesterday 12649. Just tried 12691 but it won't lock, only got 1.8 mtr dish so probably going to struggle to get most of them.
Will try to buy 2.0 or 2.4mtr if I can get one cheap enough.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Of course , if I can find any.
The one I locked was the one talked about yesterday 12649. Just tried 12691 but it won't lock, only got 1.8 mtr dish so probably going to struggle to get most of them.
Will try to buy 2.0 or 2.4mtr if I can get one cheap enough.

Sometimes it is the LNB rather than the dish that can prevent a lock but this is generally for the 32APSK ones with high FEC.
These type can be a bit flakey with a DRO LNB that has something like 1MHz stability.

Out of choice, commercial setups simply strap on an SMW PLL LNB with something like 25KHz stability, the tighter LNB stability is an advantage for 32APSK with high FEC's

For those two on 7.0E they are only 16APSK with FEC of 2/3, a DRO LNB should cope with them so it might be dish size or SR threshold.
If you look at the SR step threshold tables I uploaded a couple of days ago in this topic they give you an idea of what tolerance there is for the SR.
Note: - Those figures were for my LNB which is an Invacom C120 Quad DRO model, the values might be different for your LNB.

s-band

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m IRTE PF, Invacom SNF-031, TBS6983,
Various L, S, C, X & Ka bits. 1.2m S/X/Ku/Ka Prodelin on Az-El (being refurbished), 1.8m Precision PF with SMW Q-PLL LNBs or various C & X bits
My Location
Essex
@duaneclaude MB may have the answer. An SMW or Norsat PLL LNB might do the job, even some of the newer domestic PLLs aren't too bad. This post shows the effect of high phase noise on a lowish rate 8PSK signal. You can see that as I improved the phase noise, by changing the synth reference, the angular spread reduced and the SNR improved. You could check your LNB by looking at a strong low SR signal and comparing the constellations to those in the post.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
There were a few posts about using Dektec ASI cards in the topic a while ago.
Did anyone purchase one of these cards to try out as an alternative to a TBS690A card?

Some of the Dektec models such as DTA-2145, DTA-2152, DTA-2172 and DTA-2175 have options for bi-directional ASI-SDI.
It should be possible to send the ASI output from a Novelsat unit to the Dektec card and have it output as SDI, once it is in SDI format it can easily be converted to HDMI.

I am not sure if Dektec cards are supported by software such as CrazyScan, DVBViewer and EBSPro etc.
The proprietary software for Dektec cards is Stream Xpert, Stream Xpress and a couple of others, however, it is not cheap.
If anyone has any experience with alternative software that works with Dektec cards it would be useful to know about?

Anyone care to share?

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
I have no direct experiences with those cards, but they are used in many professional setup, and I heard many workers very satisfied with them.
However, if your purpose is just decoding the signal from the Novelsat to send it to your TV set, maybe such used RX8200 decoder could be better, easier to use and maybe cheaper.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have no direct experiences with those cards, but they are used in many professional setup, and I heard many workers very satisfied with them.
However, if your purpose is just decoding the signal from the Novelsat to send it to your TV set, maybe such used RX8200 decoder could be better, easier to use and maybe cheaper.

I use a Novelsat unit connected to an RX8200 with the RX8200 outputting SDI, works perfectly.
It was alternative options using an ASI card (excluding TBS690A) that I wished to explore just to see how practical they were.

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
I use a Novelsat unit connected to an RX8200 with the RX8200 outputting SDI, works perfectly.
It was alternative options using an ASI card (excluding TBS690A) that I wished to explore just to see how practical they were.
Ah ok, now I understand.
As I mentioned, no experiences with those cards by me.
Some years ago I tested the Alitronika AT40USB connected to the Novelsat ASI out and it worked very well, but it was specifically made for PC usage. No ASI, no other connectors than USB.
However, the software is included with the hardware and it works with TSReader.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Some years ago I tested the Alitronika AT40USB connected to the Novelsat ASI out and it worked very well, but it was specifically made for PC usage. No ASI, no other connectors than USB.
However, the software is included with the hardware and it works with TSReader.

I have an Alitronika AT40USB here, it works OK.

However, I prefer to have the ASI receiving device internally in the PC directly connected to the PCIe bus.
The Alitronkia connects to a PC via USB 2.0 which is a slower data rate compared to a direct PCIe connection.

Apart from the Alitronika AT40, TBS690A and an Ericsson RX8200 have any Novelsat users used an alternative device (card or receiver) to accept the ASI output from the Novelsat unit?

Anyone care to share?

itchybag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1 stab motor with VU+ SOLO 4k, dm800, prof 7500
My Location
earth
There were a few posts about using Dektec ASI cards in the topic a while ago.
Did anyone purchase one of these cards to try out as an alternative to a TBS690A card?

Some of the Dektec models such as DTA-2145, DTA-2152, DTA-2172 and DTA-2175 have options for bi-directional ASI-SDI.
It should be possible to send the ASI output from a Novelsat unit to the Dektec card and have it output as SDI, once it is in SDI format it can easily be converted to HDMI.

I am not sure if Dektec cards are supported by software such as CrazyScan, DVBViewer and EBSPro etc.
The proprietary software for Dektec cards is Stream Xpert, Stream Xpress and a couple of others, however, it is not cheap.
If anyone has any experience with alternative software that works with Dektec cards it would be useful to know about?

Anyone care to share?
ive got an old dta 140 think windows 7 was its last driver update. TSReader has dektec pci drivers

Last edited:

itchybag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
earth
any options to output from the Novelsat into a generic sat reciever without costing the earth.

ralf111

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 5402 & 1m motorised dish
My Location
United Kingdom
from my side i can confirm that TBS690A works well with TSREADER & Novelsat devices,also Ateme Kyrion DR5000 work pretty well and in my opinion is faster than RX8200 which is really slowest one device comparing to the TBS690A and DR5000

add. as Moonbase mention PCI card will be the best option but if you don't care about speed you can always find cheap ASI receiver on Ebay around 100£

Last edited:

itchybag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
earth
My Ns3000 should be here Monday/Tuseday. those US units didnt last long on the bay. Looking at sat modulators, damn they aint cheap. will be happy to to just get up and running with ASI for the time being

ralf111

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 5402 & 1m motorised dish
My Location
United Kingdom
if you know how they are will be used .you are

Millionaire

person

i eddited because i didn't know how to write in English

Attachments

• nshub.jpg