Advice Needed Radio France Culture

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a humax fox free to air receiver and a PIXX ADT 1200 free to air
My Location
England
OK, we are dealing with one receiver and one dish. Do you only watch and listen to the channels you've mentioned or UK TV as well? If you have UK TV is it through your receiver or with Freeview (your aerial)

We do watch UK TV with a digital TV.

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Hmm. Ok.

That's a shame!

Maybe next door have one?

It's just that the Radio Channel you want is on a frequency known to be prone to interference from Cordless Phones.

I'm afraid if it isn't that, then I've exhausted my repertoire of suggestions and perhaps we need a fresh look at the issue from one of the other respondents.

We are detached and neighbours not really very close

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
We are detached and neighbours not really very close

I guess I can listen to Radio Culture though the internet but I hate not understanding why something is not working. I do not like to be defeated. They have hidden TVMonde France Belgique a couple of times but I have always found it. We are not officially allowed that channel and are supposed to be satisfied with TV5Monde Europe.

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
I guess I can listen to Radio Culture though the internet but I hate not understanding why something is not working. I do not like to be defeated. They have hidden TVMonde France Belgique a couple of times but I have always found it. We are not officially allowed that channel and are supposed to be satisfied with TV5Monde Europe.

Also I don't mind getting a man out at some point but it is difficult to fine someone who really understands free to air. Its all sky sky sky.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well don't give up yet - other Members here might yet have some more ideas.

It has to be something so simple we'll all kick ourselves.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I've been following this thread with interest. One thing I'm confused about is the make and model of the satellite receiver you use for the missing French stuff.

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
I've been following this thread with interest. One thing I'm confused about is the make and model of the satellite receiver you use for the missing French stuff.

It is a skyline DV3

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It really is a misleading graphic, isn't it. Loads of folk misread it, perfectly understandably.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
On page 10 of that manual it mentions doing an automatic scan and switching on NIT (Network Information Table) in a sub menu. Could this correct some of the missing or wrong entries in the satellite receiver?

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
On page 10 of that manual it mentions doing an automatic scan and switching on NIT (Network Information Table) in a sub menu. Could this correct some of the missing or wrong entries in the satellite receiver?

I have started a scan with the NIT on. What is a Network Information table? Does it have a function? A table is a table.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
The NIT tells the receiver where all the channels are for a particular satellite provider. So if a broadcaster adding new channels or changes old ones the receiver can automatically tune into them.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It initiates what is more commonly called a Network Scan: This means that once you actually find a Transponder belonging to a main provider, it will instantly capture related data and update the Transponder list even without needing to "see" the others.

Edit: Shouldn't Post and watch Midsomer Murders at the same time - getting slow!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If this doesnt work delete all the channels on the receiver and start again with another NIT scan. Sometimes receivers only have limited channel capacity and wont add anything new.

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
If this doesnt work delete all the channels on the receiver and start again with another NIT scan. Sometimes receivers only have limited channel capacity and wont add anything new.

Hello - I have regained some energy and enthusiasm and have now deleted all channels and started a blind search.

What is the difference between a blind, manual and automatic search? I have googled but am none the wiser.

and just to be sure. I only ticked the Astra 1E,3A as I now understand that it will then look for all the Astra channels available. If I tick the other Astras I will just get the same channels three times. Is that right please?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The nomenclature can be confusing, but generally Auto Scan and Blind Scan are the same thing and the scan works by trawling through the entire band in small steps, thus hoping to identify anything that's there. It can, however, still miss stuff. The scan will add to the stored list (if any) or create one from scratch.

A Manual scan involves looking at one, some or all of the pre-existing Transponders in the stored list.

And the Network scan picks up comprehensive data from a live Transponder that tells the box what other Transponders are used by the relevant Network and updates the stored list accordingly.

Finally, yes, scan one list only: In fact, just Edit the name to something like "19E" for easy reference.

hilaryanne

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Sadly I now have 22 stations only and none of them french starting with radios ESP and ending with RadioCH

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Blind scan goes looking for all active frequencies and will pull in anything on air at the time of the scan - its often used by feeds hunters searching for transient news and sport transmissions

Manual scan normally refers to scanning one individual frequency and is useful for when a new channel appears on it. Unlike sky boxes which automatically add and remove channels your

Automatic normally scans all frequencies that are recorded on the box for that satellite